Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arjen Robben - Back from injury?

• 16-03-2005 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

I'm not a Chelsea fan, but does anyone know when Robben is due back? According to the BBC site, he was supposed to line out last night, but he didn't even feature amongst the subs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

No news since he was supposed to play last night.

Might aswell post this here. Frank Lampard has been doing great in his new role against Barca and West Brom yet the media don't appreaciate defensive work. Duff was the same, Robben is better than Duff since Duff does more defensive work. Lampard was great off the ball last night, putting players under pressure, etc. yet just because he wasn't allowed get forward as much Sky give him a rating of 6/10 with a tag "a little jaded". The fans rating is only 6.9. I prefer Lampard in his new role. He still gets a load of shots and killer passes in and the part of his game I critisised him most about he is doing a superb job at.

Too many people assumed Lampard did a lot of defensive work already and was still getting almost 20 assists and double figures in the goals. That is impossible and he would be one of the all time world greats if that was the case. He's now playing with 1 central midfield partner and has to do a lot more off the ball. He did it great last night but it will take months and months in this role before people realise that he is not going to be getting as many goals and assists. If one of his shots went in last night he would have got an 8/10 which is crazy.

BTW - If RVN was in a Chelsea shirt last night he would have got at least a hattrick. Drogba missed a load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

eirebhoy wrote:
    BTW - If RVN was in a Chelsea shirt last night he would have got at least a hattrick. Drogba missed a load.

Yeah he was dreadful!! Another Andy Cole!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Not only did he miss a load, he missed a load of sitters.

I think Chelsea had about 20-25 shots on gaol last but only 5 or 6 were on target.

Duff had a great game last night. His pass to Drogba for the goal was inch perfect.

What happen to his nose? Towards the end he had blood on his face.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Big Nelly wrote:
    Yeah he was dreadful!! Another Andy Cole!!

Didn't see the game last night but they showed a load of misses on the BBC news this morning with the reporter saying Drogba played like he was wearing a blindfold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I don't rate him, £24M after one good season was taking the píss IMO. Barca got Eto'o (whom Chel$ki apparently had an option on) for half of that. I know who I'd rather have in my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

eirebhoy wrote:
    Might aswell post this here. Frank Lampard has been doing great in his new role against Barca and West Brom yet the media don't appreaciate defensive work. Duff was the same, Robben is better than Duff since Duff does more defensive work. Lampard was great off the ball last night, putting players under pressure, etc. yet just because he wasn't allowed get forward as much Sky give him a rating of 6/10 with a tag "a little jaded". The fans rating is only 6.9. I prefer Lampard in his new role. He still gets a load of shots and killer passes in and the part of his game I critisised him most about he is doing a superb job at.

Too many people assumed Lampard did a lot of defensive work already and was still getting almost 20 assists and double figures in the goals. That is impossible and he would be one of the all time world greats if that was the case. He's now playing with 1 central midfield partner and has to do a lot more off the ball. He did it great last night but it will take months and months in this role before people realise that he is not going to be getting as many goals and assists. If one of his shots went in last night he would have got an 8/10 which is crazy.

With Gudjohnson, Duff, Cole and Drogba on the pitch it was natural for Lamps to take a more defensive role, sure he didn't get forward as often as he has done in the past but he wasn't playing that role. Who cares what Sky say!!

Robben was sitting on the bench last night but wasn't a sub, he should be back for the Palace game on Saturday AFAIK.

I think Drogba was feeling the pressure last night, he kept apologising to his teammates for some daft misses, although to be fair, he wasn't far off with a few of them!

growler wrote:
    With Gudjohnson, Duff, Cole and Drogba on the pitch it was natural for Lamps to take a more defensive role, sure he didn't get forward as often as he has done in the past but he wasn't playing that role. Who cares what Sky say!!
    Its not just Sky though. He has an average rating of 6.9 from the fans, thats lower than everyone bar Gudjonsson and Drogba. I prefer him in a central midfield role last night as I can't stand watching him standing around when he hasn't got the ball, whether its down to Mourinho's instructions or not. Mourinho certainly told him to do a lot more work off the ball though as he hasn't let anoyne pass him by over the last 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

eirebhoy wrote:

Im not sure if you are criticising FL or not here, but it seems to me like you are praising him, and if so its about time you realised that he is a suberb player.

He has so much to his game, and above all else a desire to suceed, something so many "superstars" lack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Have to say I dont rate Drogba at all, Chelsea need a proper goalscorer instead of an african emile heskey. He has no class about him, all his shots seem to be just drilled as hard as possible in the hope they go in instead of just placing them. He comes up to a one on one with a keeper and just smacks it at him in a vague hope of it bouncing through him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Before people go writing Drogba off (like Crespo last year) the lad has 13 goals in 22 starts. And has looked pure class at time, including big games against United (in the CC cup) where he layed on a few chances.

I personally hate the lad, but he is a talent. While he still has a lot to prove to live up to his £24M price tag, to claim that he is crap is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Yea he hasn't done bad considering he's had an injury hit season, he's certainely done better than Chris Sutton measly 1 premier league goal (mancs).
    EB glad you're appreciating Frank though the olny disappoining aspect about his performance on Tue was that none of his shots were on target.

Im not sure if you are criticising FL or not here, but it seems to me like you are praising him, and if so its about time you realised that he is a suberb player.
    I've always thought Lampard was one of the best players in the world with the ball at his feet and I've said that a few times on this forum. The only part I can remember critisising him on is his off the ball game. If Chelsea were without the ball for long spells he might as well have been on the bench. The thing that made it get to me though is that almost everyone thought he did a lot off the ball.

It is one of my pet hates seeing someone stand around when the team hadn't got the ball. I've never met Lampard, he seems a decent person so I haven't got any reason to be biased against him but he was (before the Barca game) one of the worst in the premiership for letting players walk past him.

He also needs to be more aggressive. I know its not something you can buy but if a player goes up and pushes Lampard you can see he looks scared. He'd certainly never lose his temper. I think living on the edge of your temper or bein riled up in matches makes you play a lot better and its what made Roy Keane put in such a superb performance to get United to the CL final. Lamps is a bit of a pussy so to speak. ;)

Its basically public perception that made me slate Lampard so much as he would get MOM for doing nothing in a match and than scoring in the last minute. And when it came to Lampard, doing nothing in a match was literally doing nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eirebhoy wrote:
    I've always thought Lampard was one of the best players in the world with the ball at his feet and I've said that a few times on this forum. The only part I can remember critisising him on is his off the ball game. If Chelsea were without the ball for long spells he might as well have been on the bench. The thing that made it get to me though is that almost everyone thought he did a lot off the ball.

It is one of my pet hates seeing someone stand around when the team hadn't got the ball. I've never met Lampard, he seems a decent person so I haven't got any reason to be biased against him but he was (before the Barca game) one of the worst in the premiership for letting players walk past him.

He also needs to be more aggressive. I know its not something you can buy but if a player goes up and pushes Lampard you can see he looks scared. He'd certainly never lose his temper. I think living on the edge of your temper or bein riled up in matches makes you play a lot better and its what made Roy Keane put in such a superb performance to get United to the CL final. Lamps is a bit of a pussy so to speak. ;)

Its basically public perception that made me slate Lampard so much as he would get MOM for doing nothing in a match and than scoring in the last minute. And when it came to Lampard, doing nothing in a match was literally doing nothing.

My opinion couldn't differ , some people just can't understand how much defensive work is important to a team , and when Lampard starts playing well defensively of course those muppets from sky just see him as not playing as well .

Its no coincidence that Newcastle's great run of form has come as Amdy Faye has settled into the side .

Duff is a more complete and better player than Robben but some people just can't understand that because he's not the one giving the final pass or shot to score as much as Robben is , but Duff would have probably given the ball to Robben in the first place and not just that but Duff is able to deal with players than are quicker than him(attack wise) but Robben isn't , Robben will look to dive if someone has the speed to outpace him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

If I was being honest I think Robben is slightly a better player than Duffer, he's tecnically and skillfully better, but its v close, sometimes you always know what Duff will do when he beats a man, with Robben its different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Shred wrote:
    I don't rate him, £24M after one good season was taking the píss IMO. Barca got Eto'o (whom Chel$ki apparently had an option on) for half of that. I know who I'd rather have in my team.

Barca paid 20 million for eto'o

10million to Majorca and 10million to Real Madrid (his contrat was co-owned).

Still though... i get your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Next season will give a better idea on Robben, this year he's the new boy and it usually takes defenders a while to figure out how to handle players. Duff is consistantly good it remains to be seen if Robben continues to impress . For that reason I would chose Duffers ahead of Robben but there really is very little in it.

Pity the United board were so short sighted to block his move to Old Trafford he would have given Giggs some serious competition for his place.

Advertisement