Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kent Railway Station - a disgrace in photographs

• 16-03-2005 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

I came across this site documenting the filthy antiquated embarassment that is Corks Railway Station.

I think the photographs speak for themselves

http://www.kellstransportmuseum.com/DirtAug04.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

quite so... one doesnt even have to look at the photographs to know what a state the station is in. Either theyre going for that antiquated, timeless look or they really couldnt give a rats tiny ass doing some well needed re-decoration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Ah yes the Train station built on a bend redface.gif (dolts)
    The place is a fookin disgrace i really thought they would do something with The City of Culture but i guess they dont care,but in saying that look at Irish Rail in general. We have one of the most dangerous and worst rail systems in Europe an independant inspector revealed about a year ago and still nothing has been done
    ......................so go figure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭MrScruff

Dealing with a conductor, from the same site....

I asked him if he knew why I was doing it and he said there was a rule against
    taking photos on trains. I invited him to show me the rule. He said he did not
    have to and I said if no rule - I keep taking photos.

He said he would then rely on the rule which said a train conductor can make
    any rule he likes and that he had just made one saying no photos and as it
    was his train he could enforce it. So he told me to stop under his new rule.

Brilliant!
    I know you are, but what am I?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

so by the same token you could have envoked a new rule whereby anyone holding a camera is entitled to take photographs of whatever the hell they want to. I like that rule

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Nukem wrote:
    Ah yes the Train station built on a bend
    But it's cool to be quirky!

(I'm being serious. I like little oddities like that about places, it's what makes them interesting.)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It looks awful in those photos but it's always seemed a fairly pleasant place any time I've been there. Maybe my eyes have developed a grime filter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The rubbish isn't in noticeable places.

I actually like Kent Station, I hope they don't change it too much when they're renovating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I use the station daily and it's not as bad as it's made out in those photos.
    It has improved massively in the last couple of years (I've been using it almost daily for about 17 years now). It has some great character, from the dafts platform on a bend, to the old steam engine (that kids aren't allowed climb on any more unfortunately) to the old red brick construction. I'd rather a slightly delapidated building with character to a new hospital style anonymous building any day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

deRanged wrote:
    (that kids aren't allowed climb on any more unfortunately)
    Ah, the memories!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've always kind of liked it, specifically because it *is* a bit dilapidated. But there are aspects of it that could be improved, chiefly concerning the carpark, which doesn't look so much dilapidated as stolen from a nearby estate. Which is a shame, since it presents a rather crap front to an interesting building.

As for the renovation, I seem to recall reading somewhere that there's been talk of it for years, although precious little evidence of anyone in any government position doing anything other than trying to get credit for commenting on the issue without addressing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Like most of the other posters, I like Kent Station. Despite the fact that it could so with some careful renovation, it does have charm to it. The redbricks are pleasant. I just hope that when it is done up, the architect, or whoever is comissioned, puts some thought into it.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

What has always browned me off is the way they don't allow early boarding but wait until the queue is out the door before starting to check tickets. Also the place is filthy - its a fine building but its gone to hell. The doors between the concourse and the paltforms parted company from their frames at an early stage, the toilet is poor, the seating arrangements are almost non-existent.

Mind the gap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

I don't think litter and rubbish is a Kent Station problem, its a Cork problem, in fact its an Irish problem. Some people just have no respect for the environment in which they travel, work and live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Guys,
    did you look at the rest of that website? he takes pictures of really small areas and makes out like that is the case for the whole building?? What a grump is all I can say. And talk about obsessed - going to all these different places and only taking pictures of cracked tiles, cigarrette butts, dirty toilets and rubbish is not my idea of a good time, like deRanged said, pictures of the steam train and stuff like that would show the true character of the station. People like that who always look for faults drive me nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

Guys,
    did you look at the rest of that website? he takes pictures of really small areas and makes out like that is the case for the whole building?? What a grump is all I can say.

Yes that appears to be the case but Kent station is an all round disgusing place anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

well, I suppose I can't say I miss getting the train to work! ooh do I love driving now! - But I still think that picking out faults like that isn't exactly a nice hobby to have!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

i will be honest and say that those photos are not really a depiction of kent station.

i mean it is dirty but you took photo's of drain pipes and not the actual station itself...i mean that building with the paint falling off it isnt seen by 90% of the passengers anyway...unless your going to cobh...in which case you deserve it :D

Advertisement