Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tongue piercing = no teeth?

Options
  • 16-03-2005 12:09pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

whats the deal with tongue piercing, my mums a orthodontist and she's telling me it messes up the teeth cos the metal bangs off the tooth causing nerve damage...true or desperate attempt and keeping her boy clean cut???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Ali Cat

Afraid it's true, the bar wiggles the front teeth just enough all the time to slowly loosen them and eventually make them fall out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Very true, I would advise against this piercing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

dammit...how long will that be then...even if ya get one of those cap sorta things, they're plastic right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭i am a lady

I have had a tongue piercing for about 5 years now and I can't see that it has done any damage to my teeth - but then I am not a dentist, nor am I a fan of them so have not been since I got the piercing (I know, I know, I'll be like Shane McGowan's twin sister if I don't go soon, but that's another story).

I think it would depend on whereabouts on your tongue the piercing is, which depends on the blood vessels on your tongue. Mine is back far enough that it doesn't sit anywhere near my teeth and I have had no issues with it at all. Ask your piercer what they think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

i also have had my tounge done for 5 nearly 6 years and i've no problem with my teeth. my stud doesnt bang of my teeth!!
    it spends most of its time in the middle of my mouth. my ortho said that theres no problems as long as i dont go running it over my teeth to make noise.. you can also get plastic ones if you are worried

• Advertisement

where Is Garth V When You Need Him!!!!!!

Well it's up to you if you want to take the risk, i've cracked teeth from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭i am a lady

I am MAN wrote:
    Well it's up to you if you want to take the risk, i've cracked teeth from it.

Eww, nasty. Were you in the habit of biting it or was it just too close to your teeth? I see a lot of people playing with theirs (annoying exhibitionism imo) and I reckon that can't be good for the teeth. It is up to you though, as the above poster says.

Eww, nasty. Were you in the habit of biting it or was it just too close to your teeth? I see a lot of people playing with theirs (annoying exhibitionism imo) and I reckon that can't be good for the teeth. It is up to you though, as the above poster says.

Im not sure really I just noticed my teeth getting damaged over time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Im here,im here!!
    My tongue piercing has messed up my teeth,
    It gradually wears away all the enamel on your teeth making them every sensitive which in turn makes them rot easier and they fall out. I have my tongue pierced about 3 years now and the only reason I havent got rid of it is because its my favourite piercing and I just dont want to :)

• Advertisement

well GARTH_V is the god of Tattoos / Piercings ..

I personally have no problems with mine or my teeth but hey different strokes and all...

i've worn a plastic bar for 4 of my 5 years maybe that helped(plus i dont play with mine...)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I had mine done in March and was very careful for the first month or so not to bite it or let it bang off my teeth, then I was eating popcorn and accidentally bit down on an unpopped kernal and i cracked a huge lump of enamel off one of my molars, it was a filled one, so the filling was all exposed (it felt rotten!)... anyway I went to the dentist the next day, and I was terrifed he would give out to me for my piercing or tell me to take it out, but infact he said he didnt see the problem with tongue piercings as long as theyre not hitting off your teeth all the time- he said that you can only expect to bite down on your piercing as much as you bite your tongue!

All in all I believe there could be significant risk if you are prone to playing with or rubbing your piercing off your teeth, and if you arent careful when youre eating (I find that I eat slower and more carefully now for fear of chomping on my stud).

On a related note, i'm going to be getting braces very soon (i'm 20) and I havent been for an ortho consultation since I was in 5th year way before I had my piercing. My dentist was fine about treating me while I had my piercing but I was wondering if you guys think the ortho would have reservations about getting braces and work done (ill be having an impacted canine uncovered and attached to a brace to pull it down) while youve a piercing in?

My priority is of course fixing my smile and if the ortho insists that i'll have to remove my piercing then I will, but i'll be very upset about it- in fact I was terrifed of needles and getting braces or oral sugery (or any surgery) done before I had my piercing (I was terrified)... but once I overcame that fear I felt I definitely had the guts to go through with the braces etc., so it would be a shame for me to get rid of it.

So anyway Ive told you what I know and what my dentist said- if anyone has any ideas about the answer to my question about getting the ortho work (braces and oral surgery) done with a piercing i'd love to hear about it!
    Thanks ;)

**edit** Just realised how old this thread is, sorry!! Guess I wont be of any help to you now but maybe someone else would be interested? And maybe someone could answer my question too, hehe! **

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

You shouldnt have a problem however if you're worried get a very short bar. The shorter the bar the harder it is to play with it or bite it. In fact my is so short it's rather impossible.
    I'm having a tough time this week I can't decide whether to keep the stud out or put it back in. I've had it for about 7.5 years (no problems with my teeth as yet) but I'm tired of having something in my tongue all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Labrets are bad for it, but personally I'd listen to the orthodontist who sees the damage done first hand daily.

She may be your mother but it doesn't automatically mean that all she says is lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

changing to those plastic balls will sort out any fears of cracking teeth as they'll break before your teeth will crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

everyone's pretty much said what I was gonna say, the bar sits back in you mouth/tongue anyway so the bar is just sittin against the roof of your mouth, but like's been siad if you play with it i does wear off the enamel and teeth get bad etc. Lip piercings however do constantly rub off your teeth, less you got a flat back on a stud. My ex told me bout his friend, had two rings and they wore two grooves into her teeth....bringing vast amounts of pain. The tongue one is fantasitc though!

by the by, for those of you with partners with genital piercings, they can damage your teeth too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Le Rack wrote:

by the by, for those of you with partners with genital piercings, they can damage your teeth too.

and for that reason i know someone who has dentist tattooed across his stomach :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

and for that reason i know someone who has dentist tattooed across his stomach :D
    lmfao! Yeah my ex had a pa and it only dawned on me today, hold on, if rings attached to your mouth can do damage, surely ones that are clanging of yor teeth from other places are gonna do it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Phenobarbidoll

I have both my tongue and lip pierced - tongue for 10 years, lip for 4, and my teeth and gums are perfectly healthy even though all my jewellery is metal.
    My dentist knows about my piercings, and is fully supportive of my having them. Has never said that I should get rid of them or anything like that.

Yes, some people have bad experiences, but the vast majority do not. If you're constantly chomping down on your oral jewellery, then either the piece is the wrong size or the piercer made an arse out of the placement. Even a millimetre can mean the difference between a comfortable piercing and a cracked tooth.

Advertisement