Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

recalls - buying 2nd hand

Options
  • 16-03-2005 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

if there ha been a recall on a car model, and you have bought a car second hand, are you entitled to follow up the recall with the manufacturer?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You ARE entitled to have all the recalls carried out on a second hand vehicle PROVIDED the vehicle is inside the manufacturers warranty period.

Most recall campaigns are sent by post to the owner of the car and if they choose to ignore it and let the warranty period slip then the recall has to be paid for as part of the maintence of the car.This applies even if the recall is an expensive one.

Moral of the story---Dont ignore recall letters even if your car is running 100% and you think theres nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭depadz

thanks for that.

how about a recall for outside this? eg according to honestjohn volvo recalled all 99-01 v70' in 2004 for a radiator fault. if i ibought one of these now, (obv initial warranty is up), would i be entitled to have this addressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Usually the manufacturer has a case or reference number for any recalls it carries out and state that it effects all cars within a chassis number range. You could contact the manufacturer with the chassis number of the car in particular and they may be able to tell you if the car was effected or if the work was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

depadz wrote:
    if there ha been a recall on a car model, and you have bought a car second hand, are you entitled to follow up the recall with the manufacturer?

Great question - i've often wondered about this...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

depadz wrote:
    thanks for that.

how about a recall for outside this? eg according to honestjohn volvo recalled all 99-01 v70' in 2004 for a radiator fault. if i ibought one of these now, (obv initial warranty is up), would i be entitled to have this addressed?

If the recall was only carried out in 2004 then you would be entitled to get it done now.A 99 v70 would have been out of warranty in 2002 so Im sure a 01 would be well inside the recall period.
    Richie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I had a Honda Accord that had to have the ignition switch changed.I bought it second hand and was out of warranty.I assumed they found me through registration details(from Motor Tax people ?)

A nice letter saying that the engine may switch itself off in a small number of cases , but not to worry !!!

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement