Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Mobile 2003 / Vodafone Live!

Options
  • 16-03-2005 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Can anyone give me the relevant settings to get a WM 2003 Smartphone to connect to Vodafone Live! ?

I'v been trawling through sites for the last month & no matter what settings I get nothing seems to work. Vodafone have assured me that my account is enabled for Live! access.

The phone is an Mpx220.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

As the phone isn't sold or endorsed by vodafone, you won't be able to connect to Vodafone Live at all as this requires preloaded firmware on the phone.

Through GPRS/CSD connection you can get onto Vodafone's wap site which is pretty much similar in terms of content to Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

A-Trak - That's not true. Vodafone's firmware customisations mean that you have a consistent user-interface regardless of the make or model of the phone plus all the Vodafone Live!, MMS, etc settings are already setup for you.

TradeSoul - Please refer to this thread for the settings you need...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106942

- Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭soiaf

The settings will configure you properly (so you're connecting to the right server), but I think that the Live server itself checks your phone type and if the phone model (regardless of the firmware) is not approved then it redirects you to the WAP site. And of course vice-versa, if the model is approved you should get access regardless of the firmware.

Saying all that, best thing to do is enter the right settings and see if it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think menu checks what handset you have against a permitted list.. If the device you have has been released by other OpCo's then you may have a chance.. So if Vodafone Germany for example have released the handset you have, you might be lucky..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

soiaf wrote:
    I think that the Live server itself checks your phone type and if the phone model (regardless of the firmware)

yeah, the handset/browser is checked so you are directed to the right 'version' of the portal for your handset...

having said that, had Voda Live! loading into a MS Smartphone checking it back in Nov '03, however the content wasn't formatted for the handset correctly so it seemed to be slipping through their filters... checking it now on an '02 MS Smartphone it just gets directs to a text only version of the Live Portal!

TradeSoul wrote:
    Can anyone give me the relevant settings to get a WM 2003 Smartphone to connect to Vodafone Live! ?

you don't mention if you are pre-pay or post-pay?

i never really bothered with WAP connectivity on an MS Smartphone and just connected directly to an operators GPRS ISP service to use IE for mobile sites, Mail, IM etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 TradeSoul

Thanks for the replies.

It's a post-pay account.

I've tried all the relevent (non-live/live) GPRS settings for Vodafone but to no avail. The phone doesn't pick up a GPRS signal & hence fails to connect.

I'm not really bothered about Live! but I'd like to get GPRS connectivity to get email / MMS working.

It may be a hardware problem, I'm just trying to eliminate a settings issue first.

hi, ensuring you are provisioned for GPRS ISP access with Vodafone (i.e. set up to connect to the isp.vodafone.ie access point) give this a shot:

Voda ISP on Windows Smartphone

Programs
    Settings
    Data Connections
    Menu > Edit Connections

GPRS Connections
    Menu > Add

Description: Voda ISP GPRS
    Connects to: The Internet
    Access point: isp.vodafone.ie
    User name: vodafone
    Password: vodafone
    Primary DNS: (leave blank)
    Secondary DNS: (leave blank)
    IP Address: (leave blank)

Press Done
    Press Done

At 'Data Connections' main screen the 'Internet Connection' will be set to 'Automatic' to allow the Handset to manage the most appropriate connection (i.e. ActiveSync or GPRS), or you can manually select it.

Press Done

In Internet Explorer
    Menu > Options > Connections
    Make sure 'Auto detect settings' is ticked, and under Select Network 'The Internet' is selected.

Be aware of Vodafone's GPRS charges, with a device such as this you can get through a lot of data so an inclusive GPRS package Add-On may be appropriate.

You may also want to get a GPRS counter software to help report on your data usage, there are a number available, with SPB Traffic Monitor being a good one.

See how you get on with that and I'll post up the MMS settings if i get a chance later on.

Thanks for the settings DubWireless, I set up the phone with them & I'm still not getting a GPRS signal.

I've emailed to Vodafone to make sure that my account has access to the APN, although a call centre rep told my everything on my account is fine.

I'll probably have to wait until Monday for a response.

try calling their data support team on 1850 287 000 (before 5:30) and ask them to check you are set-up (provisioned) ok for the ISP APN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭bluto

I Think Vf Are Dreadfull At This Sort Of Stuff. I Find Getting Info Out Of Them Like Gettting Blod Froma Stone. I Think O2 Are Much Btter For Htis Kinda Thing

• Advertisement

I rang them & was told that the account is provisioned fine for both isp.vodafone.ie & office.vodafone.ie

Tried both APN's and neither works. It looks like the handset is faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I vaguely remember that old sims won't work with GPRS. I had to go into vodafone to get my sim upgraded to one with a greater capacity (16k, maybe?) before I could use GPRS.

Let me dig around in some old posts to see if I can find it.

How old is your SIM card?

The SIM is a couple of years old but it has worked fine with Nokia 6100/6310 using GPRS.

you getting any error messages, or can you describe how the connection icon behaves?

The error message is : "Unable to connect. Verify you have network coverage and try again."

There is no GPRS (G) symbol appearing on the phone as it can pick up the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

This would indicate that it is a problem with the phone picking up GPRS coverage or a problem with GPRS coverage in your area. Is the problem specific to a location or have you tried in a few locations ?

It's the same no matter where I try from.

The same setting have been on the phone for the last few days & I've been around Dublin & Meath & still the same.

I think as you do that it's the phone.

soiaf wrote:
    I think that the Live server itself checks your phone type and if the phone model (regardless of the firmware) is not approved then it redirects you to the WAP site. And of course vice-versa, if the model is approved you should get access regardless of the firmware.
    I just wanted to add that the Vodafone Live server check is certainly performed by detecting the handset type and not the firmware revision. I got Vodafone Live working on a Motorola V300 (without the Vodafone customisations) by changing a flex setting so the phone thought it was a V525. Also, with a V525/V550, if the firmware is replaced with the stock Motorola firmware, VF Live will still connect provided that the handset reports itself correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This would indicate that it is a problem with the phone picking up GPRS coverage or a problem with GPRS coverage in your area. Is the problem specific to a location or have you tried in a few locations ?

Do a de-reg :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

Do a de-reg :)

Nah i believe that would be a sim and handset check :)

• Advertisement

What's a De-Reg?

hi, call them and ask them to re-provision you for GPRS services, where they need to remove and then reapply (provision again) your account for the relevant access points / GPRS services - have had issues with O2 and Vodafone in the past where you get into a situation where "their computer says it's ok" when there is actually a problem and they needed to set up the relevant GPRS services again...

by the way, check your Private Messages

After getting Vodafone to re-provision my account, the phone now picks a signal from isp.vodafone.ie.

DubWireless, can you post MMS settings you said you had for an MS Smartphone?

hi - making sure they also sorted out setting you up on the MMS access point [mms.vodafone.net] correctly give this a try:

Voda MMS on Windows Smartphone

Programs
    Settings
    Data Connections
    Menu > Edit Connections

GPRS Connections
    Select Default MMS Connection and Menu > Edit
    (or you may need to create a new GPRS connection, calling it something meaningful)

Connects to: MMS Connection
    Access point: mms.vodafone.net
    User name: dublin
    Password: dublin
    Primary DNS: (leave blank) or 0.0.0.0
    Secondary DNS: (leave blank) or 0.0.0.0
    IP Address: (leave blank)

Press Done
    Exit to Main Menu

-

Programs
    Accessories (or Configurations)
    MMS Setup / MMS Settings

MMS connection (or the name of the new connection you set up above)
    IP: 10.24.59.200
    Port: 9201
    Mmsc Address: http://www.vodafone.ie/mms

Message Expiry: user selection e.g. 1 week
    Delivery Report: user selection e.g. check
    Read Report: user selection e.g. uncheck
    Hide Sender: user selection e.g. uncheck

MMS Download: Auto

Press OK

Thanks for those DubWireless!

Both WAP/GPRS and MMS are working fine now. Thanks for all the help ;)

Advertisement