Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help - DVD query - PS2

• 16-03-2005 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

First of all I must confess to knowing little or nothing about the whole hardware side of things so apologies if this question seems a little basic..

A friend of mine gave me a loan of a couple of burned DVDs which he has been playing quite happily on his PS2.. yet they won't work on mine. Everytime i put one in i either get the mesage - (reading disc) disc error - or please insert a PS2 formatted disc.

I can watch 'legit' DVDs no hassle. I reckon my PS2 is a good year or more older than his, having got it a couple of months after it was first released, and in the browser menus i can see my DVD driver is version 1.20e.

Did later models have newer DVD drivers that let you play burned DVDs? He has not got any modification of his PS2 done at all....

Thanks in advance for any help..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Mine plays dvd+r and -r and its over 3 years old, would yours be older than that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Del9

Its hard to remember exactly, but maybe closer to 4 years old.

I've given up on it anyway. Time to start mooching around for a cheap DVD player..

Thanks for the reply tho..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Pharcyde

Sorry to hijack, but does the ps2 play movies off CD-R or CD-RW? Or even Xbox for that matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Is your friends PS2 chipped? might be sonething to do with the region blocking?

Also if u know anyone who bought the official Sony DVD remote theres a disc that has the latest DVD drivers that also adds some extra DVD features as well. Only problem is that the new drivers take 2/3MBs on the mem card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Del9

I never even thought of that remote tbh.. Might give that a shot alright.

Just rang my mate and asked if his PS2 was chipped - definitely not (He dosen't even know what it means 'cos his answer was "its never taken a knock as long as i've had it" :) )

Its a strange one, and i had to prove to him over the weekend they wouldn't work on mine because he reckoned i was 'doing it wrong'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

There is a difference between the older and newer PS2s - the original ones to hit Europe could only read DVD-R media and do not like DVD+R (mine happens to be one of those as I've had it longer than I can remember). Further revisions though read both -R and +R happily. The model number on the PS2 will help you identify what you have - here's a link to what the numbers correspond to:

http://www.psxservices.co.uk/ps2_version.htm

I think V4 and beyond supports the +R media but I might be wrong, can't quite remember. I think V3 or V4 where the first ones to hit Europe.

And by the way, the PS does not need to be chipped to play a backup of a movie - that only applies to games. I backup my own movies to DVD-R and they play just fine - no mod chip in my system...

Advertisement