Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Webtext Delay - Intentional?

Options
  • 16-03-2005 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

O2 webtext has been suffering a huge delay in delivering recently.

This has been apparent for some weeks now.

The service used to be reliable and quick, but now the delays are in the order of several hours or more.

I don't suppose O2 would be intentionally weakening their webtext in order to boost their text sales via handset?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I noticed this started happening last Friday I was arranging to meet people and sent texts at 7pm, they didn't get them til after 11pm that night!

o2.ie site is just crap full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

OK.

Now I know the delay is systematic.

Sent a sucession of messages at timed intervals - they arrived as equally spaced as they were sent.

Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

What intervals did you send them at? It might be that there is a back-log and yours all got queued in turn.

The real test would be to monitor the performance over a few days and see if there is any variation in the delay. That would then suggest a back-log of some sort. But if the messages consistently take the same time then they're up to something.

Mind you, they probably saw that the web text service was overloading and phone texters were suffering so they've shifted the priorities towards them. In that case, that's probably only fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

there is no variation in delay - I texted people at varying times over the past few weeks and each and everyone of them arrived several hours after I sent them - no one person got their messages any quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Your not alone lads....already a thread here about it.
    I've emailed them already....no reply as of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

i had the delay, but now it seems no text msgs i send are getting through AT ALL. Grrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i have found this issue terribly annoying also. it's not that i hugely mind paying for texts, but would just prefer to type them. well, the freeness was good.

I sent a test sms to myself from webtxt over an hour ago....no sign of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

kasintahan wrote:
    O2 webtext has been suffering a huge delay in delivering recently. This has been apparent for some weeks now.

The service used to be reliable and quick, but now the delays are in the order of several hours or more.

Correct, they are aggregating them through a virtual operator in Kazakhstan I hear :) which is why the service is now totally kak to 'other O2 customers' as much as to everyone else.

Cheapskates :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv already emailed them about it..

- Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭embraer170

Very very frustrating.

Seems messages to international are getting through right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Is there a difference between webtext for billpay customers and webtext for pay as you go? I'm on billpay and I've had no delays (mostly) for webtext. Just sent a rake of them there, they were received immediately.

Anyway I'm sure its just a network congestion issue. More people sending webtext at a certain time = slower service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

well the delay is nover 6 hours - sent a text yesterday at 1:34 pm - it arrived at 7:52pm that night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

i got that problem aswel. sent txts at about 7 or 8pm one day last week and they didnt arrive until some time during the night and my friends gave out that i woke them up! woops but not my fault!

lads, sent a msg just now and the problem seems resolved ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I know for a fact O2 know there's problems with their webtext software thats affecting many users.
    Their IT section are working on the problem and customer care have been told to advise any person with complaints that this is the case.
    O2 need to watch themselves... jut wait til 3 enter the market later this year.
    Hopefully that'll shake things up

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

Yeah it seems OK for me as well now, and I'm a prepay (Speakeasy) customer. I did have a problem of a 4-hour or so delay earlier this week.

Same here...seems to be back to normal (Billpay)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Responce from O2:
    Dear Kevin

Thank you for your query regarding web text. We are aware of delays occurring with our free webtext service at present. The issue surrounds the delivery of a message sent via webtext. It may arrive late to the o2.ie users designated recipient or in a unique number of cases it may be sent through the system in duplicate to the users designated recipient. This issue, whilst not causing a problem for all customers is being treated very seriously and o2 hope to have an update on a final fix date over the next few days. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Thank you for using O2.ie. If you should require further assistance, please call O2.ie Internet Support on 1740 from your o2 mobile (EUR0.19c per call) or 1850 60 1740(Please contact your network provider to query the charges to this number). We are available from 8.00am to 10.00pm seven days a week.

Kind regards,

O2.ie Customer Care

- Sully

That's got nothin new in it! Basically it just says that they're aware of the problem.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Got the same messsage skully,
    webtxtxs seem to be ok now for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

Seems to have slowed down again.
    :confused:

yes it's slow again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Vok

I've sent timestamped test messages to my own phone over the past couple of days. One today sent at 13:16 arrived at 15:14. Others were of the order of 3 hours or more.

Let me just point out to anyone from the O2 morkeshing team that if people find out this is due to some greedy attempt to get people to use text on their phone, instead of on the web, like we want to, you guys will have shot yourselves in the foot, and we are talking totally, here.

Anyone have pointers to working, free SMS gateways out there? There's always someone else hungrier for the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭soiaf

AFAIK, years ago there wasn't proper (network) interconnect charges for text messages, nowadays I think its pretty much standard. So, anyone (by this I mean a network operator) sending a message to o2, vodafone, meteor etc. would be charged for the 'privilege'.
    Thats why theres far less sites offering free messages, the ones that do are basically trying to sell you something, or use it as an enticement for other things etc.

It would be very strange for this to be intentional - maybe if you're sending to someone they're not getting money for you sending the message, but its probably fair to say that person will probably respond (money for them).
    Ok so if you're sending to vodafone/meteor/a.n.other theres a charge (interconnect), but if the person responds they basically get that back (roughly speaking). If its to an 02 customer, then its basically free to send, and if that person responds it all money for them.
    Not saying that they're not, just it seems (to me anyway) a very unlikely situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

Vok wrote:
    Anyone have pointers to working, free SMS gateways out there? There's always someone else hungrier for the business.

er ... What business?? It's hardly like your paying for a free SMS gateway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

We should all write to a newsaper. they would see so many of us are writing in and print it......

Then i'm sure there would be a fix..pronto....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement