Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to actively include this on a web page?...

Options
  • 20-03-2001 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Using ASP, but not having MSXML Parser V.3 available as yet on the server, how would I go about actively including the HTML code from http://www.boards.ie/latest.txt on a web page of my own? ... anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Is http://www.boards.ie/raw.txt of any use?

John.
    --
    Who knows nothing about ASP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Yes and no... If I had the MS XML Parser v.3 installed on the server (which I don't) I could parse in that file and effect the display of it any way I wanted... but I don't - I'm looking for another way of doing it - if possible - so I can apply my own styles, etc. to it.

May not be another way- I'm just curious, as ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Why not parse the file yourself?
    There's a Perl script somewhere on this board that does it if you're interested.
    (title of thread: Boards.ie feed?)

Found this link in one of the Q threads below too, might be of some use.

http://aspwire.com/brief.asp?4054

I'd really rather do it with ASP and not Perl. Perl is not and won't be installed on the server in question. The ASP example you gave would be fine- I'd do it with fSo, if only the file I was parsing was on the same server as my web site, but it's not on the same server - it's that specific file on boards.ie

Seems the most reliable way of doing it is to use something like the HTTP element of the XML Parser (v.3) to read in the contents of a specific URL into a string and then parse that out using ASP. Unfortunately it's only v.2.5 of the XML Parser installed on the server in question and until the owners of the server (i.e.: my employers) are fully happy that there's no security risk, etc. with upgrading this to v.3 or installing v.3 alongside it, then that's the way it's staying. This is a live production server and a few of the sites running on it are using XML. Therefore an upgrade there might cause downtime to these live sites (which is undesirable).

Basically I'm looking for a way to effectively do an "include" of a file which is not on the same server as my site and seamlessly integrate that HTML into my page. I know it's possible, - I just have to do it without the XML Parser v.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    I'd do it with fSo, if only the file I was parsing was on the
    same server as my web site, but it's not on the same server - it's
    that specific file on boards.ie
    </font>

Admittedly, I don't know a thing about ASP, but couldn't your
    script just retrieve the file and store it locally ?
    Just re-retrieve once its 15 minutes old or some such ?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

I know you said Asp..... using ie + html Have you considered <iframe src="http://www.boards.ie/latest.txt&quot; title=""> <!-- Alternate content for non-supporting browsers -->
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

I forgot to add the closing tag <iframe>

Nope... I'm intending to avoid browser specific code - IFRAME is only properly supported by IE4 and above or Netscape6/Mozilla. ... Besides, it's not the required effect- I want to put the code itself within the code of my own web page- just like an include.

One of those pages on the 4Guys site is promising.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I tried the 4guys one... you have to download and install (register) a .dll
    but it worked no problem on my PWS using the latest.txt file...
    As regarding manipulating how the thing looks though, unless you can just do it with a style sheet linked to your page, I wouldn't have a clue.... I'll leave that to the pros.. tongue.gif
    BTW, if you did use an iframe, wouldn't the links all open up by default in the iframe..? to lazy to try or even to care for that matter...
    also, the first link on the latest.txt, ie the one to bulletin/index.html is relative, so it causes a problem when you include it...

or something...™

• Advertisement
Advertisement