Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

VCD (DAT) -> MPG

• 16-03-2005 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I just got a DVD recorder and recorded something last night that I want to edit on my PC. The DVD contains 2 folder, VIDEO_RM and VIDEO_TS.

VIDEO_TS contains 10 .VOB files, 2 .IFO files and 2 .BUP files.
    VIDEO_RM contains 2 .dat files, 2 .IFO files and 1 .BUP file.

I opened the first .dat file (VIDEO_MN) and it just shows the menu. The other .dat file (VIDEO_RM) doesn't open, I get the following message:
    "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

The DVD plays perfectly though when I use any DVD program.

Anyway, I did a bit of googling and found that it is a VCD, not a DVD. I'm sure most of you know that but I haven't a clue about this type of stuff. I found this link:
    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/141726.php#vcd

I already had IsoBuster on my PC so I opened it. the DVD drive came up automatically and it looked exactly like the screenshot in the link except there is no [+] next to "Track 01" and there doesn't seem to be any files that I can open (screenshot attached).

I don't know if all I said is any use to you but can anyone tell me how to convert the files on my DVD+RW to a format that I can edit (avi preferably)?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

you opened a dat file in isiobuster?
    a video_rm folder on a dvd?
    wacky

rename the .dat to .mpg and you should sorted

ahhh
    you have a standalone dvd-recorder?

the rm file is just the data it uses when recording adn as such is irrelevant to other dvd players.
    just rip the vobs and main ifo use dvd decrypter and use dvd2avi to go from there,
    not quick or easy but good results and free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Chalk wrote:
    ahhh
    you have a standalone dvd-recorder?

the rm file is just the data it uses when recording adn as such is irrelevant to other dvd players.
    just rip the vobs and main ifo use dvd decrypter and use dvd2avi to go from there,
    not quick or easy but good results and free
    Yeah, A DVD-recorder for recording and playing DVD's from your TV. :)

OK, I've downloaded DVD decryptor. I opened it up all the vobs are listed as 2 ifo's and 2 bup's. I've selected all the Vob's and one of the ifo's (don't know if its the main one). Its currently decrypting. What should I do when they are finished?

Thanks.

your best bet is www.videohelp.com
    its been a while since i mucked around with vobs and ifos.

theres a few dvd to diivx converters that do the lot,
    dvd2avi you just load the vobs in and select save avi&wav but i dont even know if its still about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Cheers Chalk, its a lot easier than I though. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement