Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Dad Rock

Options
  • 16-03-2005 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭

What are your favourite songs from the 60's & 70's?

Strange Brew- Cream

Born on the Bayoux- CCR

White Rabbit- Jefferson Airplane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Anything of Black Sabbath with Ozzy, kings of the 70's imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

True, Sabbath define 70's rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Some great 60's music, apart from the obvious big names, like Canned Heat, The Kinks, Love, The Guess Who, Santana (don't laugh, the early stuff is amazing) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Canned Heat :D! Roxors!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭wilkins

Status Quo & Rod Stewart - pure 'ma rock'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

True, Sabbath define 70's rock.
    Surely sabbath were metal? They were pretty dark and scary when they started.

Led Zepp were the kings of 70s rock to many people.

among my favourite 70s stuff:
    Little Feat, The Band, Led Zep, neil young, CCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

Zeppelin, Hendrix, Doors and Floyd are my faves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the grateful dead

yeah.. not rock, but still.. Gods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

"Dad" rock?

The mind boggles!
    But I think by the way this thread is going, its refering to rock bands of the 60's and 70's, so with that notion, I'd say:

Hawkwind
    King Crimson
    Deep Purple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

I hate the phrase "Dad Rock". It's classic rock, FFS.

The Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix would be my favourite classic rock acts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Bring back teh Dad Rock to be honest, only time i can listen to the radio to be honest.

Thin Lizzy
    AC/DC
    Jimi Hendrix
    Rory Gallagher
    Queen
    Led Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath (yes they invented heavy metal, but their later stuff was rock)

Its all real G.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Thin Lizzy rock. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Obzer

Surely sabbath were metal? They were pretty dark and scary when they started.
    ur right they were one of the main bands in the NWOBHM

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Obzer wrote:
    ur right they were one of the main bands in the NWOBHM

I dont think they were tbh.
    They might have jumped on the tailcoats and had a resurgance but the likes of Saxon,Iron Maiden, Def Leppard etc were the major players in the NWOBHM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Doctor J wrote:
    Some great 60's music, apart from the obvious big names, like Canned Heat, The Kinks, Love, The Guess Who, Santana (don't laugh, the early stuff is amazing) :D

My Dad was into all those too (except Love... I had to educate him with Forever Changes)

It's deadly lookin at my Dad's vinyls, some serious music in there :)

Mr. Hungus & Phil 321, I only called the thread Dad Rock because of the Dad Rock programme that used to be on Today fm on Sunday Nights, I was intending to ask which songs they regularly played were everyone's favourites, but not many people inferred that as the reference was a bit obtuse, in fairness. I'm not a complete youngster meself.

My taste in music would be more varied, what I listen to most would probably fall more into alternative, electronic or industrial. Still, there's nothing like the the classics every now and then.

Incidentally, the closest my Dad ever got to rock was 'Breakfast in America'...

My Mum was the one who brought me up on Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Virgin Prunes, Grace Jones and most importantly, David Bowie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Hash Boy

Jr.Shabadu wrote:
    What are your favourite songs from the 60's & 70's?

Strange Brew- Cream

Born on the Bayoux- CCR

White Rabbit- Jefferson Airplane

"DAD" rock? WTF? Where are you from - D4?

Hash Boy wrote:
    "DAD" rock? WTF? Where are you from - D4?

I refer you to post 18 for the origin of the thread's title, 'Hash Boy'. Where are you from, Amsterdam? Or the bottom right button of my phone's keypad?

• Advertisement

I have to admit its the first time Ive heard the term "Dad Rock"

I also thought the D4 comment was highly amusing :D

adox wrote:
    I have to admit its the first time Ive heard the term "Dad Rock"

I also thought the D4 comment was highly amusing :D

Easily amused, then, I take it? S'funny how nowadays you can shove the term D4 into any auld insult and all of a sudden it's hilarious. I remember when a bit more finesse was needed.

Jr.Shabadu wrote:
    Easily amused, then, I take it? S'funny how nowadays you can shove the term D4 into any auld insult and all of a sudden it's hilarious. I remember when a bit more finesse was needed.

Not easily amused but you are obviously easily offended ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Hash Boy

Yeah, but "DAD" rock - seriously - what sort of a knob uses that phrase? I put that in the same league as "malarky", "Heino", "Rí Rá" and "shenanagins".

No need to be so uptight about it - you used a stupid phrase, someone called you on it - end of story: take it on the chin and walk away having learnt a valuable lesson - don't use poncey buzz words.

Hash Boy wrote:
    Yeah, but "DAD" rock - seriously - what sort of a knob uses that phrase? I put that in the same league as "malarky", "Heino", "Rí Rá" and "shenanagins".

No need to be so uptight about it - you used a stupid phrase, someone called you on it - end of story: take it on the chin and walk away having learnt a valuable lesson - don't use poncey buzz words.

Afaik, 'Dad Rock' isn't a poncey buzz word, or even a widely-recognised phrase. The only time I have ever heard people use it is in reference to the programme that used to be on Today Fm. Look at this thread. In the second post, Dad Rock is up for one of the awards.

The only lesson I've learnt is that hash can seriously reduce your chances of processing previously posted material correctly. Here is a helpful page, which may give you some meaningful information about the side effects of using hash on a regular basis. Notice that the main side effect is that it seriously hampers cognitive function.

Oh, and adox, I do get easily offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

first time ive heard dad rock too

however it does get the point across, when i heard it i thought of my dads fleetwood mac stuff and deep purple and so forth

i certainly wouldnt call it a "poncy word"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭tyu

LED ZEPPELIN.......is that how u spell the 2nd word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yes, but not the 6th. :)

Ah, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, and Zepp. Truly kings of the 70's. [Deus Ex] Or better than kings. Gods.[/Deus Ex]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

the stones
    the beatles
    queen mostly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Shabadu wrote:
    What are your favourite songs from the 60's & 70's?...

Dad rock. I guess that would depend on what age you are, what age your dad is and if you believe that great music ages. I don't. But that said its just a bit of craic. I think the man said songs not bands.... umm I dunno I can't pick a fav.

Advertisement