Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diouf Not To Go For Less Than 4 Million

• 16-03-2005 2:01pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has insisted that controversial Senegalese striker El Hadji Diouf will not leave the club for less than £4 million.
    Diouf is currently on a season-long loan at Liverpool's Premiership rivals Bolton.
    Although his form for The Trotters has been good, the twice winner of the African Footballer of the Year award has cut a controversial figure for his behaviour on the pitch.
    He was handed a three-game ban after being caught spitting at Portsmouth's Arjan de Zeeuw in November, and attracted more bad publicity after being sent off for elbowing Arsenal's Jens Lehmann last weekend.
    Bolton boss Sam Allardyce warned that his latest misdemeanour could scupper any permanent move to The Reebok, but news of Benitez's demands could do similar anyway.
    Allardyce is renowned for bringing in players on cut-price deals, and Liverpool's attempts to recoup £4 million of the £10 million they shelled out on Diouf look likely to put him beyond The Trotters' reach.
    "If Diouf continues playing well we will wait for an offer of £4-5 million," stated Benitez.
    "If we do not get such an offer then we will use Diouf for next season here."
    The Reds boss, who seemed certain to offload Diouf in the summer, insists he will happily re-introduce the forward into his squad if an appropriate offer does not come in for him.
    "If we decide to bring Diouf back here because we do not have a good enough offer, he will come back and be with us and be on the bench, maybe playing some games," he continued. "We do not know for sure yet.
    "It is always good to have good substitutes. I do not have problems with him over discipline.
    "We know that Diouf has a contract with us for some time into the future. He is playing very well, that is true.
    "We know for this club it is very important to have good players, maybe players for the squad."

Did not know whether to put it in here or the comedy section, I would let the twat go for nothing, problem is who in their right mind would want him

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Yeah - I have serious reservations about him sulking in the reserves and disrupting the whole squad. He'd be reduced to spitting at colleagues during training sessions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

He proved his 'worth' against Arsenal the other day. 11 vs 11, Bolton could well have won that game. He wont have learned either, as he is proving time and time again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

yop wrote:
    Did not know whether to put it in here or the comedy section, I would let the twat go for nothing, problem is who in their right mind would want him
    They'll get the £4m for him IMO. Bolton want him and there'll be a load of French and other foreign clubs with an eye on him. OK, he's an idiot but he has 7 goals this season and is playing really well. If the controversial Bellamy has teams ready to pay £6m for him, Liverpool will get £4m for Diouf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

eirebhoy wrote:
    They'll get the £4m for him IMO. Bolton want him and there'll be a load of French and other foreign clubs with an eye on him. OK, he's an idiot but he has 7 goals this season and is playing really well. If the controversial Bellamy has teams ready to pay £6m for him, Liverpool will get £4m for Diouf.

Bellamy is a much better player than Diouf plus Diouf is only one offence away from a long ban from the FA. HE is playing well when he manages to stay on the pitch but his character is flawed , liverpool will be lucky to get half what they want for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The Muppet wrote:
    Bellamy is a much better player than Diouf plus Diouf is only one offence away from a long ban from the FA. HE is playing well when he manages to stay on the pitch but his character is flawed , liverpool will be lucky to get half what they want for him.
    Bellamy hasn't won African player of the year on 2 occassions (can't put my finger on why) and also hasn't played to a high level at a World Cup - what eirebhoy says has some merit although I haven't heard of too many clubs expressing an interest...

• Advertisement

Diouf and Bellamy are in the exact same situation. 2 risky players on loan, on around the same wage, and are near enough the same age. I know its foolish to say double the price is double the ability, etc. but in this case they both can't seem to be seperated on non-abilty factors that effect price. If anything the likes of age, wages, etc. are in Diouf's favour. Plus, Bellamy realistically has to be sold, Diouf doesn't. Therefore, if Diouf goes for £3m does that mean he's half the player Bellamy is? Don't give me stick for saying something like that, probably forgot to think of someting obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I've a feeling a few French and Turkish clubs will bid for him. If he managed to sort out his attitude I wouldn't mind seeing him back at Anfield next season. He has more talent than a lot of Houlliers deadwood, but one shi*ty temperament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

I've a feeling a few French and Turkish clubs will bid for him. If he managed to sort out his attitude I wouldn't mind seeing him back at Anfield next season. He has more talent than a lot of Houlliers deadwood, but one shi*ty temperament.
    Yeah, think himself and Nicolas Le Sulk would get on great at Fenerbahce

p.pete wrote:
    Bellamy hasn't won African player of the year on 2 occassions (can't put my finger on why)

He might win it ths year. :D
    p.pete wrote:
    and also hasn't played to a high level at a World Cup -

Kleberson , need I say more.

Kleberson - decent player imo.

• Advertisement

Another little small thing that Bellamy did tonight. He gave a camera a tap after he scored tonight and it twirled around about 6 times. The camera man came on the pitch after him. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd be happy to be shot of him tbh. it'd be nice to get back as much of the £14m as possible, but the main thing is to make sure hes polluting someone elses squad with his woefull attitude next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I would bet a lot of money that Liverpool would get at least £4M for him. He is currently playing well, is still young, and has previously shown a lot of potential.

Granted the guy is a moron, and complete scum, but he will still definately demand a decent fee.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Another little small thing that Bellamy did tonight. He gave a camera a tap after he scored tonight and it twirled around about 6 times. The camera man came on the pitch after him. :D

Jesus Eirebhoy you really have it in for him, ;) By all accounts he had a good game and got the opening gool for Celtic,sure he's never going to win Players player of the year award but you can't deny he's doing the business on the pitch.

Aye, him and McGeady have turned Celtic into one of the most exciting teams in Britain at this moment. And we're playing the Barca formation which is the last thing I'd have predicted from O'Neill. :) I'd love to keep Bellamy if he continues to play like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

eirebhoy wrote:

i flicked over and saw thatj ust as he scored, i would love to box the head of him.

Advertisement