Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest Sandwich in Dublin City Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Subway are ok can be awful though if you go to the wrong place (the one along the quays for example) but overall decent enough

The quays is actually one of the better ones in the city centre if you go at the right time. The worst one in the city is the one near Trinity - it's tiny!

P.S. Subway rules all. In NY, I suppose the reason it's different is because of the larger choices of breads, drinks, cheeses and toppings.... oh, and it's not nearly as pricey there - though I do think it's worth it either way.

Plus they all have seating! Something which a lot of Subway's here sorely lack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

sorry max but theres a question i have to ask...
    Maximilian wrote:
    The chargrilled beef bagel they were doing in Dun Laoghaire last year during the Culture Week thing was possibly the nicest thing I've ever put in my mouth on purpose.
    this would imply that you once put something even nicer in your mouth by accident, what could that possibly be? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah Subway definitely rules...
    I definitely agree with NoelRock though - abroad its so much better.. When we were in Oz we ate there at least once a week.. Seating & free refills on drinks made it a really nice place to go & the choice of loads of different bread was really great.. When you eat in Subway here, there is usually only 1 or 2 really plain breads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

O'Briens on Grafton St. have lovely rolls, unfortunately the one on westmoreland st only has crispy baguettes. My fav is Dunnes though, big choice of fillings all fresh and really tasty! And cheap :D

I'll second that.
    I like the one in stephens green, the southern fried chicken roll
    is very nice and the cold salad/meat roll are so cheap and you get
    so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

If O'Briens made peanut butter and banana sambos... I'd live there! :D

Anyways... Best sandwhich in Dublin... gotta be O'Briens :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

My 3 top sandwitches in no order are:
    * O'Briens: Chicken with mayo, dill pickle and rashers
    * O'Briens: Foccacia with mayonaise, pesto, swiss cheese and olives
    * Dunne and Cresenties: Focaccia with parma ham, pickles mushrooms, motzerella and olives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Simons Place, Georges St Arcade - most overrated sandwiches ever

Centra prepacked are nicer than Spar prepacked. Make sure the one you buy has 2 days to best before.

Spar rolls / Centra rolls are not as nice as their respective prepacked sandwiches.

Subway Meatball is the best,

Dunkin Donuts have lovely sandwiches - it is a national tragedy that they are no longer in Ireland. I am going to the USA in a few months and cannot wait to visit Dunkin Donuts again.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

stagolee wrote:
    sorry max but theres a question i have to ask...

this would imply that you once put something even nicer in your mouth by accident, what could that possibly be? :confused:

I eat stuff by accident all the time. I hope you weren't referring to cock?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

You haven't lived until you've tried the Smokehouse Pannini in Whelans....it's bacon, chicken and cheese with a bbq mayo and it is the nicest thing!

I also love the sandwiches in the Pig and Heifer....mmm, mmm, mmmmmm

There's also a newsagent on O'connell St just beyond the entrance to Henry St, next to the National Irish Bank, that does a lovely soft roll that you can get filled with a modified coleslaw. Instead of just being carrot and cabbage it also has broccoli and nuts in it....very nice.

Have to say I'm pretty indifferent to O'Brien's and Subway.

PS: Now I'm starving! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hey are the Subway meatballs in tomato sauce..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Sweet pepper relish, brie cheese and salami.. Holy lord...

Either on thick brown bread or in a panini... So damned good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

about subway:
    whenever I walk by it it smells lovely, but it's expensive and not very filling IMO. it usually tastes ok though.

i concur.
    Does nobody know bolands in the Royal Hibernian Way

yes it is another excellent place.

also the spar near pearse and the centra on westland row are very, very good imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

NY style is so nice better than subway if you want the whole meatball roll thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

dont know if its still any good but Cafe iris at the top of temple bar was gorgeous last i was in there...but that was a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

The dead pig roll in the Trinity JCR under Pearse Station is yum yum tasty. And only €3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

NY style is so nice better than subway if you want the whole meatball roll thing....

is that the one on Batchelors Walk? If so I'll give them another 2 months before its a Subway franchise. The worst sambo Ive had in ages IMHO. Subway all the way for me. Too tempting at times, bread is baaad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Nermal

magpie wrote:
    Normally end up with something delicious like toasted ciabatta with blue cheese, pastrami and olives or similar.

Hmm, that would taste... interesting.

Find someone who looks Italian in the Epicurean food hall on Middle Abbey St, and ask him for a ciabatta with tomato, mozarella, and some pesto sauce. Try it toasted, untoasted... it's tasty either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

honey oat club, or meatball in subway, tastey.

but i am getting pissed off with them only having white bread, the other day they had no bread! the one across from trinity, muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

all these sandwich bars are serving utter sheit compared to what one could whip up at home - they are over priced and crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 graciek

The subway meatballs are in marinara sauce. Because I used to work there, I would never eat there! Don't want to put you guys off but my coworkers were not very hygienic....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

the grind in ucd is very good for what it is.

Lemon(the crepe place) toasted sandwiches are very good, reasonable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

HOLY ****ING ****!

OH MY GOD!

HOLY MOTHER OF SWEET DIVINE CHRIST ALMIGHTY OUR SAVIOUR!

THERE'S A QUIZNOS IN DUBLIN???????????????????????????

AALKJGHDLIUDLIAUHFH;GH;GLGJDLGKLK'GHHHHGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

YESSS!!!

*this might be the happiest moment of my life.

graciek wrote:
    The subway meatballs are in marinara sauce. Because I used to work there, I would never eat there! Don't want to put you guys off but my coworkers were not very hygienic....

But its all done on front of you?

Im probably going to avoid the crab meat from now on tho, it doesnt look right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 onion-ring

O'Brien’s?? Are you mad, there bleedin horrible..

Donny and Nesbits on Baggot Street do a panini that can't be beat.
    Just watch the thief behind the bar (can’t miss him, moustache and tattoos), at least 3 or 4 times he's over charged or short changed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

lemon..toasted sandwhiches.....soo good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

well most of the decent places have been mentioned here already.

Another one which i like a good bit is Munchies. Their Sizzler is really nice.

Maybe its just cause I'm a huge fan of mexican food.

is Quinzo's a chain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

meatballs, cheese and bbq sauce in subway

also cafe ire in temple bar do some ridiculously nice sandwiches

other than that a cheese n onion crisp sandwich at home is topnotch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

The Clarendon cafe is killer for a toasted baguette.

Advertisement