Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest Sandwich in Dublin City Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I do like my sambos so Ive decided to taste every sambo mentioned on this post ! (well the ones in Dublin City that is) A Sambo expidition if you will, could take a while though.

First off.
    Quiznos sandwich place on the first floor of the Stephens Green Centre
    Mosqite chicken... large...
    as per Mercury Tilts suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

O'Brien's are Subway are absolute crap.

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the Swedish Food Company. They do the most amazing sambos, don't leave a bit of bread uncovered! Mmmmm... Swedish sauce.

Upper and Lower Baggot St.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Now thats one good sambo :) very nice

Its very expensive though at €8.75 for the large which isnt really all that large maybe 6/7 inchs (at a guess) and they only give you a tiny drink to go with it, like a small cup in a take away.

But it is very filling its only real failing is the price otherwise It would be come a regular for me.

Definatly worth a visit though

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

*Sassy* wrote:
    O'Brien's are Subway are absolute crap.

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the Swedish Food Company. They do the most amazing sambos, don't leave a bit of bread uncovered! Mmmmm... Swedish sauce.

Upper and Lower Baggot St.

Meatball pannini & Sweedish sauce. Agghhhhnyom.....sweed-ish sau-ce nyom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

They're so nice in there as well! Not a bit stingy with the fillings, good stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

just had a mesquite chicken and bacon.
    it was very nice.

Unfortunately, not as good as the one on union st in seattle , or the one on 5th ave in New York.

but yum yum yum anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

*drools*

Might try Quinzo's today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

I likes the Sub sandwiches in Murphys - Baggot St. Their triple deckers are darn tooting good aswell.

My favourite "sandwich" would be the Beef Burrito from the Mexican in the Epicurean - that rocks my tastebuds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

Bringitdown, while you're in the Epicurean get one of those all day breakfast bagals!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

murphys on baggot street beef philly wrap yummmmmmmm :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

kirn wrote:
    Unfortunately, not as good as the one on union st in seattle , or the one on 5th ave in New York.

I had one there a few weeks ago, and thats exactly what I thought, just not the same as New York, the one on 5th Ave was nice, but the best one was in Astoria in Queens. There was this huge black guy in behind the counter who put such pride into each sambo, and filled it to a ridiculous size. I miss New York

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

footlong meatball marinara on hearty italian for me thanks

joejoem wrote:
    I had one there a few weeks ago, and thats exactly what I thought, just not the same as New York, the one on 5th Ave was nice, but the best one was in Astoria in Queens. There was this huge black guy in behind the counter who put such pride into each sambo, and filled it to a ridiculous size. I miss New York

me too... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

O'Neills Special Penini, it's like a full dinner in a sandwich! server with sallad and a few crisps, yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Spacedog wrote:
    O'Neills Special Penini, it's like a full dinner in a sandwich! server with sallad and a few crisps, yum!

Oh and Spacedog you're still a twat.

And it's Panini

Incidently panini is italian for "I can't believe you're paying that much for a toasted cheese sandwich" Honest.

Two thumbs up.

The pig n heffer on Pearse st (up by the Widow Scanlons) they do a roast beef, salad, pickle and horseradish sandwich, which is worth watching 12 years of eastenders (just picking a random torture) to taste. On a home made brown bab, loads of thinly cut beef and just enough pickle. They do it with gorganloza as well but thats too potent a cheese for a lunch toasty in my pov. Its a gorgeous lil treat. And they have these homemade bagels that are f*cking massive. These are old style sandwichs and they're massive.

Incidently, theres a wee blue italian place in ranelagh forget the name (and i've been living here years, it's just the wee blue italian place) it does bloody great coffee (and i like me coffee) and breaks the panini rule (flat chewie baguette with burn marks) giving you a crispy ciabiatta filled with fresh filling (may i recommend the salami, sun drived tomatoes smoked cheese and home made chili oil)

It just past the triangle on your way to clonskea. Damn fine. Damn Damn fine.

I'm sure someone has mentioned Irie on this thread.

I've gotten too old and not cool enough for Irie

But the last two times I was in irie i ordered the cold chicken wrap. with sundried tomatoes. Both times it arrived grilled. The second time i used the word COLD five times while ordering. I want a COLD wrap, with chicken, and a I'd like it with olives COLD please, and can I get it with sundried tomatoes but COLD. So thats a COLD chicken wrap, with olives and sundried tomatoes, and i'd like it COLD Please. twenty five minutes later a toasted wrap arrived.

It god wanted lettecue warm he'd have planted grills aside em. Warm lettuce is the worst taste i can think of. Obviously I'm not cool enough to get my order taken as asked in Irie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I've fallen out of love with Bendini and Shaw since they became Insomnia.

I try and avoid O'Briens as the staff are uniformly rude in every franchise. White bread with the thickness of a bed-pillow does not a good sandwich make.

Cafe Sol - ok, staff friendly enough, but I've noticed their standards for freshness are really slipping, expecially on a Saturday. Most of their outlets are understocked and will only have a single unpopular selection such as the Egg, Pesto and Vomit Wrap left by 1.45pm.

This could be a wildcard suggestion, and a bit controversial, but ATM for me it would have to be the Club Sandwich at Eddie Rockets. Oh bleedin' yes.

I'll have to try those excellent suggestions around Camden St. as when I'm in that area I'll usually go to O'Brien's or Insomnia out of desperation. Never knew those other places exist.

two words:

Bells Cafe.

if you don't know where this place is, i'm not telling you, but it is in my opinion BY FAR the best café in dublin. best sandwiches, best service, nicest clientelle.

i eat there twice a week as a rule, even though it takes me 15 minutes walk to get there.

nicest sandwich in dublin's city centre: the hells bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Wrong board, moved to food/drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Airwaves

Have to say O'Briens is my fav anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

lovinspoon makes a mean chicken sambo.

'ave it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

ham turkey and bacon melt with bbq sauce in subway...mmmmmmm im hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

my mate worked in subway...

they 'tinker' with the sandwiches.

my mate worked in subway...

they 'tinker' with the sandwiches.

but they make them on front of you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

but they make them on front of you?

Really the marinades and the sauces are made in front of you?

:rolleyes:

mycroft wrote:
    Really the marinades and the sauces are made in front of you?

:rolleyes:

Thats the risk you take with any sandwich cafe I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Must mention Bagel Factory's Star and Stripes bagel: chicken, sundried tomatoes, rocket and mayo on a poppy seed bagel. MMMMMMmmmmm!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Bagel Factory must die... They don't even use real bagels- theyre round rolls with holes in 'em.

Itsabagel ship in real New York H&H bagels- and the fillings are much much better.

Californian Bagel. Onion bagel, mozzarella, streaky bacon, avocado, lettuce, basil mayo. Nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

graciek wrote:
    The subway meatballs are in marinara sauce. Because I used to work there, I would never eat there! Don't want to put you guys off but my coworkers were not very hygienic....
    Having said that, I'm trying to break out of my O'Briens/Cafe Sol routine and try some of the more interesting and independant little places mentioned in this thread.

I walked past the Subway at the end of Grafton St. The place just looks seedy and dirty, even from the outside. Boxes of supplies stacked in the front window. I mean, the prospect of meatballs in a baguette makes my mouth water, but I've yet to see any Subway outlet that could ever entice me inside.

I strolled up and down Lower Bagette St. today looking for the Sweedish Food Company. You could have said it was in a basement! It was 3pm and the place was closed. The Pig and Heifer will be my next port of call.

I walked past the Bewleys on Grafton St. It's amazing how during the biggest consumer explosion of coffee-drinking that Campell's Catering couldn't make this place work. The words 'brewery' and 'p*ss up' spring to mind.

Eventually I ended up at Cafe Tikki just opposite the Department of Finance. Pretty good and cheap. They seem to made an effort and have interesting variations on the usual wraps/sambos. Just don't expect them to change a fifty!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I walked past the Subway at the end of Grafton St. The place just looks seedy and dirty, even from the outside. Boxes of supplies stacked in the front window. I mean, the prospect of meatballs in a baguette makes my mouth water, but I've yet to see any Subway outlet that could ever entice me inside.

I don't like that subway either tbh. It looks really old or something. The one on Wexford St. is nice

Advertisement