Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

webcam over lan

Options
  • 16-03-2005 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi. Im not sure if this is the right forum, but ...

I want to set up a web cam that is viewable on all pcs in a small lan (5 pcs)

I have a bog standard usb cam set up and operational. How can I allow other people on the lan to see it?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I've done this before using MSN and the quality is perfect. Great FPS since you are getting upto 100MB per second. If you install msn on all PC's and create a conversation between all of them... I think you can do a multiple user web cam conversation with MSN7 beta ( http://www.imagine-msn.com/messenger/default.aspx?locale=en-US )but I'm not sure. Other than that, I'm sure a quick search of software could discover something... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=webcam+software+lan

Rgds,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

this should do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Y.B.Sober

have msn running at the mo but im a conspiracy theorist and want to keep microsoft applications to a minimum on my pc. downloading webcastxp as i type. will let you know how it works out.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I've tried it just there .. and it seems grand for video (over internet), but I can't for the life of me get audio out of my WinTV card (I mean just within WebCastXP.. WinTV application works fine).

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

maybe you could set up a site and host the feed on it, using one of the machines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I gave up on WebCastXP, and just uses Real's Helix Server and Helix Producer instead to stream RealMedia in whatever quality I want.. works fine to stream the WinTV card as well.

Advertisement