Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Security Advice

• 16-03-2005 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a bit of advice, about to get broadband and a liitle paranoid about security
    Im using firefox with the Win xp firewall - and have norton Av and use spybot and Adaware regularily.
    Does anyone know if firefox & the WinXp firewall are compatible (does the WinXp firewall block ports only if you are using IE) or are the browser and firewall completely unrelated?

Should I be using Zonealarm or something maybe?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Personnally I would get rid of the XP firewall staright away and DL zonealarm
    browser and firewall completely unrelated?

yes unrelated

As long as you allow it access to the internet should be no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

If you want to make this thread a general "how to lock down your windows box", post whatever advice you have and I'll make it sticky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

It would be a very handy thread.

I guess outside of a Virus checker, firewall , and a few spyware checkers I know nothing!

Is it possible to check that all of your ports are locked up when you have your XP firewall enabled? Or is there a site or tool which can check your security (is this like asking does anyone know a knack who can try an break into your house just so you can see have you protected it enough !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Check out Shields Up! over at grc.com. An online scan of your box.
    It will tell you what, if any ports are open and also test to see if you are 'invisible' while online. Worth a look.
    I'm in Stealth mode! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Don't bother getting Zonealarm if your getting broadband with Eircom. Zonealarm isn't compatible with some of their routers, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement