Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moving from England to Ireland

Options
  • 16-03-2005 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

We are in the process of moving to Ireland from England. We bought two cars in England in January and obviously are looking at the VRT situation. One of them is my car, one is owned by my wife. We had not intended to move until December 05 but family circumstances have brought this date forward.

It looks to me like I may start in June working in Ireland, but living in hotel Mon-Fri and going back to London for the weekend. My wife and kids would join me in August when the kids finish school here and we would get somewhere to rent and (I think) become resident.

Question - from a taxation perspective would I be considered resident in Ireland from the day I start the job (i.e. early June), or would it be when we actually had an address here (i.e. August). My wife will definitely not be resident until August so I think her situation is straightforward.

Anyone got any advice/comments? Anyone faced a similar situation?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

PM ambro25. He's recently moved from the UK to Ireland and brought two UK reg cars over. He'll have all the answers :)

Alternatively, search this board on above move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah Ambro25 is your only man for this.

If you bought the car 6 months before you take your new postion you'll okay anyway...(I think)

Mike.

Advertisement