Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical wiring book

Options
  • 16-03-2005 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi all

Can anyone recommend a good book on this. Looking for an advanced one with
    everything covered to do with the house. What do electricans study for exams?

I checked a few local book shops plus amazon, not much selection and alot of book from USA etc that have different voltage systems.

Thanks in advance

pan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Might be of some help to you.http:

http://www.iee.org/Membership/electrician.cfm

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

thanks for the feedback guys it looks good!

In the wiring standards book, will it explain how to install e.g a switch
    Or does it just tell you the height from the ground it should be and the materials it should be made from? i.e is it just regulations??

pan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

If there is anything I can help you with Pan you can ask. I have searched in vain for a decent how to book for our wiring system that incorporates the regulations for ireland.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

pan wrote:
    Hi all

Can anyone recommend a good book on this. Looking for an advanced one with
    everything covered to do with the house. What do electricans study for exams?

I checked a few local book shops plus amazon, not much selection and alot of book from USA etc that have different voltage systems.

Thanks in advance

pan

Collins complete DIY Manual. Available in Easons, approx 25E

Has a 50 page chapter in, covering,
    Economics.
    Basics,
    Safety.
    Replacement.
    Repairs.
    Main switch equipment.
    Circuits.
    Cables.
    Assessing your installation.
    Power circuits.
    Fixed appliances.
    Lighting.
    Exterior electrics.
    Complete re wiring.

Also covers all other construction trades.

Hope it helps
    kadman :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Electricians_Guide_Book/index.html

You can read this book on the site before you buy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 clarkee

FYI, if you intend to do the wiring yourself do keep in mind you will need to get a completion cert. from a (and only from) a RECI registered Electrician to submit to the ESB.
    Other wise they won't connect you up, you might get away with this if you personaly know an electrician, but don't count on someone to just take your word for it and then give over the cert.
    Hope this info is of help : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I think we have at least one electrician on the "Board", personally I wouldn't dream of wiring a house or even adding to a fuse board.

The side effects of most diy can be an inconvenience at worst with plumbing you have a leak but you can turn the water off, with the roof you know the rain will stop :)

Seriously I am totally against diy electrical work unless it is carried out under the supervision of an electrician.

At best the breaker will trip but people are killed by faulty wiring or the fires it can start.

Stay safe at any diy, just my thoughts on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pitstop

Would recommend "Which book of wiring & Lighting" by Mike Lawrence. While UK - brilliantly easy to read with great drawings/photos as follows:

The basics (how lighting/socket circuits work)
    Wiring techniques
    Wiring Jobs (installing circuits, adding to circuits)
    Outdoor wiring
    Rewiring a house

etc etc

Buy it 2ndhand on Amazon ;)

HTH

Pitstop

Advertisement