Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Summer job in Galway - preferably netcafe

• 16-03-2005 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure whether to post this here or on the Galway City board, so if the moderators feel it would do better on that board, please move it..

I'm looking for a Summer Job in Galway City. I'm 15 years old but will be turning 16 in July. I'd like to get a computer related job, so that I can use it as experience in the future, I think the best place to accommodate me would be a NetCafé as the work is computer related but from what I can see doesn't require any prior experience.

My experience is virtually none, I have a good all around understanding of computer hardware and software. I have basic linux/freeBSD knowledge and have been involved in the wireless side of things with GalwayWAN for almost a year now. As you can see from my usercp I moderate the Models board on this website but I'm not sure if that would count as experience.

The main thing I'm having a problem with is how to go about getting a job in a netcafe....should I mail them a C.V or would that be considered too much for a Summer job? Should I rely on contacts (of whom I don't have many) to get me a job? Should I simply walk into a netcafé and ask for a job (and if so, what should I wear/say etc)?

Of course if anyone here knows someone who owns a netcafe or would in some other way be able to get me a job in one then that'd be great :)

Thanks in advance,
    Dave
    Of course if any of ye

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Dave, you haven't a snowballs chance in hell unless you've contacts. Net café jobs are always considered cushy numbers and you can guarantee a lot of students from NUIG and GMIT will be looking for any jobs going over the summer and unfortunately for you, their experience is likely to be a lot better than yours.

With regards to a CV, if you've done your Junior Cert already, do one up with your grades etc. List your hobbies, interests any relevant experiences you've had (life-guarding classes, scouts first aid certs etc. are always great things to have on a CV when you're looking for a part-time job).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but unless you've some contacts somewhere you're going to be very lucky if you manage to get work. Being a college town, Galway is always a difficult place to find a summer job, especially when by the time you're old enough to work, you're a full month behind most of the students and schools. My younger brother is slightly older than yourself and he's never been able to get summer work because it's all taken up by the college students. Good luck though, I hope something works out for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Thanks Sleepy, I do have some contacts which I've already called on (no news yet from them though), I'd say there'll be one or two jobs available however (I'm happy with anything around the minimum wage mark), though and it's not just netcafe's....anything computer related that pays will do :)

Advertisement