Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair Ban

Options
  • 16-03-2005 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi,

I got banned from the computer > security forum because i asked for somebodys
    help.
    Apparently there was a post at the top of the screen that I didnt read which stated that the forum was "not a technical support board", fair enough i guess.

But hold on a second, first of all there were other postings on the board with people looking for help, Did they all get banned? In fact I have used this particular board to discuss problems with my computer before and I never encountered such problems. I didnt receive a warning.

Secondly, one of the 3 people who replied to my posting was a moderator, who helped me greatly. I returned a thankyou post and praised the security forum. But what kind of message are you putting across if a moderator is replying to my posting when my posting was such an offence that it required you to ban me? Did he get banned also? Hopefully not.

My problem was spyware related and I thought that a security forum would be a good place to seek the knowledge to solve my problem?

I feel that i was harshly banned and request access to the forum again.
    Thanks for listening
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Always always always read the charter* before posting on a board.

On that particular board it's called "READ BEFORE POSTING OR YOU WILL BE BANNED", so you really should have read it...

*Important stickies that say "Read me before posting" etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

if you don't read the charter and get banned, you've only yourself to blame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭The Fitz

Don't talk to me about unfair bans.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=232019

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Sounds like it may have been a bit harsh - although you should have read the charter.
    choice wrote:
    Secondly, one of the 3 people who replied to my posting was a moderator, who helped me greatly.

A moderator of Security? A mod is just a user outside his/her own area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

oh...i got an unfair ban too....unfortunately just serve your time and don't moan about too publicly or you'll just make things worse :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

i got banned for something i did that i thought was ok. but hey if the mods feel a way about something then just sit tight and hope you get unbanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Unfair ? Don't you realise I do this just to torment you ?

Or... maybe it just might be unfair that everyone else plays by the rules and you don't ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Is it fight the powah season already? oh man, how the seasons pass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

choice wrote:
    I feel that i was harshly banned and request access to the forum again.
    Hey relax guy,
    I'm not sure the security forum is the board you think it is... unless you're into talking about biometrics and whatnot, it's not a hugely interesting board.
    Things like spyware/virus tech support are covered by the OS/Windows board anyway.

Don't feel singled-out either, the mods of that board have adopted a zero-tolerance policy to what they consider off-topic threads... you're not the first to be banned for this reason and you probably won't be the last.
    As far as fairness on this goes, the sticky is considered ample warning by all concerned... my advise is to take it on the chin and relax.

Basically, any security-related question you have about windows can be posted in the Windows forum, and most of the same people will read/respond, so you're getting the same answer either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dogs wrote:
    Unfair ? Don't you realise I do this just to torment you ?

Or... maybe it just might be unfair that everyone else plays by the rules and you don't ?

jesus dogs. ive said this to you before. dont tell them about the toying, just do it and then laugh at them.

and then torment them on other forums, and say you are keeping an eye on them.........

/me makes beady eye gestures at dogs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Heh. He's moaning on ecksor's forum about a ban from one of ecksor's favourite forums.

This is going to be funny.

Advertisement