Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The crime prevention officer

Options
  • 16-03-2005 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

I applied for a license today for a .22 magnum and my local garda told me as this was my third gun that i may have a visit from my crime prevention officer.
    at the moment my other two guns are in a safe which is securely bolted to the wall and there is space in the safe for another gun.

Is there anything else i could do to make it look better on my behalf e.g is there any need to buy a seperate ammo safe??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

E@gle. wrote:
    I applied for a license today for a .22 magnum and my local garda told me as this was my third gun that i may have a visit from my crime prevention officer.
    Hmmm.
    Well, technically that's jumping the gun on the CJB, but seeing as how he'd have to do it in August anyway, probably best to just get it over with now.
    at the moment my other two guns are in a safe which is securely bolted to the wall and there is space in the safe for another gun.
    Is there anything else i could do to make it look better on my behalf e.g is there any need to buy a seperate ammo safe??

Probably there are a million things you could do, up to having a barbed wire fence, with sentries in the watchtowers with floodlights, dogs patrolling inside the perimeter and biometric iris scanners replacing the doorlocks, but I'd guess that would be overkill ;)

Seriously, how much ammo are we talking, what type (other than that for the new .22 magnum) and where is it stored at the moment (by which I mean is it in the safe with the gun or elsewhere - might be best not to say exactly where ;) ). My plans for the summer involve finally getting down to batch testing my .22 rifle and that means buying about ten thousand rounds of .22lr, so I'm definitely getting a second safe (but nothing close to top-of-the-line, just a fancy lockbox really), but right now the few rounds I do have are in the safe on a shelf with the bolt. (I'd rather have a seperate lockable bit in the safe for the bolt but I couldn't afford one at the time).

So you could have a seperate lockbox for the bolt/ammo; if you have a house alarm you might make sure the room with the safe is on its own zone; if you don't have an alarm, you might consider getting one; and so on. If the rifles are all air and .22lr, I'd be thinking more of upgrading the general security of the house (better doorlocks, an alarm, window locks, that kind of thing) rather than getting more security just for the gunsafe (since it can be ripped off the wall anyway by a determined thief).

You might think of putting triggerlocks on the guns when they're stored as well, they're pretty cheap and easy from a security point of view. (And yes, it looks like overkill, but it only takes an extra five seconds it takes to put them on and take them off, and it ought to give the CPO some more reassurance. Just don't forget to take the key with you when you go shooting :D )

400_dalessandri%20trigger%20lock.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i live in a quiet area in the countyside so no need for an alarm.
    Seriously, how much ammo are we talking, what type (other than that for the new .22 magnum) and where is it stored at the moment (by which I mean is it in the safe with the gun or elsewhere - might be best not to say exactly where ).

My other gun is a .220 swift and yes the ammo is stored away from the gun but not in a safe. Basically want i want is a small safe that could maybe hold 100 swift bullets (5 boxes) and about 200 magnum bullets (4 boxes).
    Small safe wont be too expensive will it.

just 1 more question sparks where can i get trigger locks and how much do they cost??

thanks for your help :D

E@gle. wrote:
    I thought quiet areas in the countryside were exactly where monitored alarms were designed for :D
    My other gun is a .220 swift and yes the ammo is stored away from the gun but not in a safe. Basically want i want is a small safe that could maybe hold 100 swift bullets (5 boxes) and about 200 magnum bullets (4 boxes).
    Small safe wont be too expensive will it.
    Nope. See this thread, or this one. You're looking at between €30 and €70 depending on what size safe you get for the safe I was looking at:
    947048.jpg

A less fancy lockbox version ought to be cheaper still.
    just 1 more question sparks where can i get trigger locks and how much do they cost??
    I got mine from Tiernans in Wilkinstown, cost me about £15 for two of them. Don't know what they'd be now from an Irish dealer, but they're going for about $7 from triggerlocks.com at the moment.
    thanks for your help :D
    Nae worries, that's what the forum's for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

They run around €15-20.

There is a cheaper option though :)

Go to the dealer where you normally buy your ammo and guns. Normally dealers have plenty of spare cable-type gunlocks (they come with all American made guns, a lot of customers don't bother with them). Talk nicely to the dealer and you might get some for free or a nominal amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

E@gle. wrote:

My local friendly CPO's (Crime Prevention Officer, not Compulsory Purchase Order (though I'm dealing with one of these at the moment too!)) first questions were about my alarm system.
    See this thread for the full story.
    He was also very happy to see the separate ammo/bolts safe.

I got the distinct impression that the absence of an alarm would have made things 'difficult' :(

I'm in a superficially similar position to you- I'm out in the country, and I was looking to bring the rifle collection up to 3 (a centerfire and a pair of rimfires).
    An un-monitored alarm and a separate ammo safe appeared to do the trick in my case.
    And a 'friendly but serious' attitude throughout the encounter, of course :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

thats exactly the size of the safe i was looking for sparks.

My father and my brother also have guns in a seperate safe will the cpo look to see if there in a safe also.

Hmmm. That's an interesting point eagle - short answer, probably yes. Thing is, they're not your firearms, so they shouldn't be in any way relevant whatsoever, and technically you shouldn't have access to them to show them off to the CPO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Oh yeah, wonder how that works???

Before my brother moved out, there were 2 rifles and 2 shotguns in 'my' safe.
    All 4 licences were usually paid at the same time, with 1 cheque.
    There was never a word from the Guards about 4 guns in the same household.
    When darling brother moved house, he took his rifle and shotgun with him, so when the CPO came to inspect there were just my 2 in the safe.

I know they're not too keen on people 'storing' guns for their neighbours/relatives, but what's the story on 2 or more people in the same household sharing a safe???
    Anyone know? :confused:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................................. I hope my Mum will let me have a go with her new Sako TRG-42 in .338 Lapua Magnum! :D:D:D

I know it's a huge no-no in the UK Rovi, but I think here that because of the discretion afforded the superintendent through the firearms acts that it's never really been much of a problem - at least I've never heard of it being one (that doesn't mean it never has been though!). I know my local garda would take the view that if both people are licenced, both are responsible enough to know not to go stealing the other's firearm!

Advertisement