Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oscillating Revs (00 Golf)

Options
  • 16-03-2005 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi all,

My 00 Golf, when idle, revs away by itself (the revo can be seen jumping up and down) a lot of the time and sometimes idles out alltogether and the engine shuts down. Sometime when changing down this could also happen.

I think there is probably some dirt somewhere near a sensor or something but that is all I can think of.

Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Hi all,

My 00 Golf, when idle, revs away by itself (the revo can be seen jumping up and down) a lot of the time and sometimes idles out alltogether and the engine shuts down. Sometime when changing down this could also happen.

I think there is probably some dirt somewhere near a sensor or something but that is all I can think of.

Ideas?

I think this is caused by a faulty air flow sensor. Expect to pay about €150 in a dealer. Which engine is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I had something very similar in my old (99) Golf, the revs would die down and sometimes the engine would cut off. Othertimes when I would be moving from stationary, the car would chug along and then suddenly kick in. Not fun when trying to pull out on to a national road etc. I think the garage said it was something to do with having the "throttle cleaned"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...which presumably can be some with a good soaking of carb cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

eoin_s wrote:
    I think the garage said it was something to do with having the "throttle cleaned"
    All new cars dont any longer have throttle cables, but a thin piece of wire, and the engine opens the throttle based on the resistance on the wire. If oil or oil fumes/dirt get into the throttle wire, it can cause problems regarding engine reving strangely. Hence having the throttle cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

if its the 1.4 or 1.6 its only the air flow sensor, a bad case of a dirty maf, is serious loss of power.
    go down to halfords and buy some 'electrical contact cleaner' it comes in a yellow aerosol for about a fiver. remove the air filter and, start the engine, now spray this into the air intake while someone revs it. should work a treat. ;)

• Advertisement

All new cars dont any longer have throttle cables, but a thin piece of wire, and the engine opens the throttle based on the resistance on the wire. If oil or oil fumes/dirt get into the throttle wire, it can cause problems regarding engine reving strangely. Hence having the throttle cleaned.

ah, I see now - thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

These VW's have a problem with gunk building up in the throttle body and this would usually be what needs cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Lomb,

Thanks for that. I'll try this.

By the way, very, very disappointed with the Golf. They are WAY overrated. Never again.

thanks,

- Paul.

I have to agree Paul (but thanks for your earlier offer to trade it in against my Alfa :D )

I had problems from day one with my mark IV - lots of niggly things (the interior things like cup holders etc were very fragile), the rear lights were constantly blowing (apparantly the rear light cluster is too air tight and the bulbs get very warm?). Also, the throttle problem (which re-surfaced within 3/4 months of it being serviced) made me lose a little confidence every time I was pulling out onto a main road.

That said, it has to be one of the most handsome hatchbacks out there, even in bog standard form. Still, for what you get, not well priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I have a 00 Golf myself and I've had relatively few problems with it. I had to get an engine sensor replaced at one stage (only cost about €30 for the part), the problem was that the engine required a couple of attempts to start when the engine was WARM! Very unusual but easily fixed. Bulbs in Golfs seem to go far to easily alright. My garage never charges me so it's not too bad.

My golf (my first car) has served me very well , but I'm looking forward to my next purchase :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

eoin_s wrote:
    (apparantly the rear light cluster is too air tight and the bulbs get very warm?).
    Not likely, bulbs blowing is caused by over-voltage or bad earthing. Inside the bulb is itself airtight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Lomb,

Thanks for that. I'll try this.

By the way, very, very disappointed with the Golf. They are WAY overrated. Never again.

thanks,

- Paul.

no problem let us know how u get on, spray it in bursts of a couple of seconds to allow the engine to pull all of it thru, then blast it again for 3 or 4 seconds. wait 10 deconds and blast it again.dont saturate it as the stuff may leak into the electrical sensor(only if u are really dousing it) so dont douse it spray in bursts with the motor running :)

Advertisement