Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dowie: No comment

• 16-03-2005 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

From SkySports
    Iain Dowie has refused to comment on speculation linking him with the Manchester City post.
    The Crystal Palace boss has been backed to replace Kevin Keegan at The City of Manchester Stadium - even though Stuart Pearce has been handed the job until the end of the season.
    The former Oldham Athletic manager still has his family home in the North West, but is remaining fully focused on the task in hand - keeping Palace in The Premiership.
    "I've got no comment to make on it," Dowie told Sky Sports News.
    "I've got a massive game with Chelsea on Saturday and that's my main focus.
    "My mind is coping with Messrs [Didier] Drogba, [Damien] Duff, [Arjen] Robben et al, Frank Lampard etc. That's my main focus.
    "I think any time people link you with jobs, it's a reflection of the team so, you know, if anyone deserves the credit for that, it's the team."
    The Eagles travel to champions-elect Chelsea on Saturday afternoon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Super post there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

bazH wrote:
    Super post there

i agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Are you taking the piss? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I have no opinion on this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Brian017 wrote:
    Are you taking the piss? :)

No of course not! in truth it is a great post with a great opinion on the subject! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Big Nelly wrote:
    No of course not! in truth it is a great post with a great opinion on the subject! :D

It is more infromative than some recent posts from some of those trying to be smart with him about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I didn't mean to start an argument.

Brian017 wrote:
    I didn't mean to start an argument.

You didn't, it just the usual hit and run merchants trying to be funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If he goes before the seaon is over and palace get related, he will be lynched by the palace fans.

i want to see him stay at palace a keep them up. Then he should go to city. WOuld be interested to see how he does at a big club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Its pure nonsense - why would city take a relatively unproven manager - its as risky as taking Pearce.

• Advertisement

how is he unproven? certainly alot more proven then pearce.

Look at david moyes and chris coleman, they werent really very proven either.

I wouldn't look on him as being unproven In fact considering his record to date and Citys financial plight he could be an Ideal candidate for the job .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

proven? He steadied the ship at Oldham while he was boss there, bringing them from the edges of relegation to flirting with the play-offs. Then we all know what he did with Palace last season, and has so far, IMO, done a great job at keeping them above the drop zone so far this season on an extremely limited budget.

I would hate to see him leave Palace before the end of this season, but its inevitable he will go eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Its pure nonsense - why would city take a relatively unproven manager - its as risky as taking Pearce.

Give me ur definition of proven???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I think it's fair to say if he does defect to Man City he'll probably kill any chance Palace have of staying up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Dowie has proven himself to me anyway. Put it this way, if Dowie was managing West Brom this season they'd be in a better position than he has Palace in IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

tbh dowie isn't the type of manager that Man City need.
    They need a Benetiz, or a Jol, to build up the team to challenging level in two or three years, Dowie won't do that, he'll keep em mid table, hoping for a UEFA spot

People talk about how great the premiershiip is, they should tlak about how great it'll be in 3 years, when Spurs and Everton and Liverpool are up there with the top three, Man City can get in on that with the right manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

PHB wrote:
    Everton are up there with the top three

excuse my cynicism, but i dont see that happening
    or maybe i'm just hoping :)
    hell, if they get champions league football, they really should be able to stay up and around there....the horror :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

PHB wrote:
    They need a Benetiz, or a Jol, to build up the team to challenging level in two or three years, Dowie won't do that, he'll keep em mid table, hoping for a UEFA spot

People talk about how great the premiershiip is, they should tlak about how great it'll be in 3 years, when Spurs and Everton and Liverpool are up there with the top three, Man City can get in on that with the right manager

That's total rubbish. City are £66 million in debt and may have to sell their star player in the summer. They have an aging squad full of overated over paid players. If they are going anywhere it's down not up.

PHB wrote:
    They need a Benetiz, or a Jol, to build up the team to challenging level in two or three years, Dowie won't do that, he'll keep em mid table, hoping for a UEFA spot=

Given City's lack of finances it is unlikely they can secure someone in that catagory and I dont believe they need to . If dowie can do to city what Moyes has done at everton they would be more than happy in the short term.

To Eyerer: A CL spot will be worth £15 million to Everton. If they get that they could really strengthen their squad and be a force for the seasons ahead.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:

To Eyerer: A CL spot will be worth £15 million to Everton. If they get that they could really strengthen their squad and be a force for the seasons ahead.

COULD be. i can see them doing a newcastle a screwing up in the qualifying round.

actually i cant even see them i nthe qualifying round as liverpool will be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ah now, thats not fair.
    Everton have a good chance of getting through the qualifications roudns, since Liverpool did last year and Everton are ahead of them in the league.

Joe Royle did a great Job at Oldham, but only got CIty relegated/promoted/promoted/relegated in back to back seasons = David Moyes in fairness is doing a decent enough job but remember they finished 17th last season. I have great respect for Dowie and want to see Palace stay up - and the run he put together last season to get them promoted was phenomanal, but I don't think it proves his mettle. Keegan has stabilised City in the top division but taking Dowie, who has ONE promotion under his belt hardly seems like a step up? A Proven manger is exactly what it sounds like - a manager that has experience in top flight football and has guided a team to a european spot - which is what city should be aiming for. The fanbase and the turnover are enough to drive that forward - City's debt is a structured mortgage over 30 years based on future season ticket sales - it is manageable but does not leave a lot for purchases. Allderdyce, Martin O'Neill, someone that can drive results on a tight budget. Dowies got personality but I think you are all getting a bit carried away on the plucky underdog ticket with one and a half good seasons behind him.

A Proven manger is exactly what it sounds like - a manager that has experience in top flight football and has guided a team to a european spot - which is what city should be aiming for.

Allderdyce, Martin O'Neill .

Allderdyce hasnt brought Bolton to europe yet has he? Even i could take Celtic into europe, its not excatly difficult. There are very few managers in the premiership who have taken clubs to europe who would want the man city job.

I cant see o'neil or allerdyce going. Unless they can a foreigner, i feel out of the managers in the premiership dowie would be the best who would take the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It says in todays Ireland on Sunday that Dowie will defo be off to Man City come the end of the season.

As for his managerial abilities, well to be objective one has to say that he is a proven lower division manager, and has yet to do so at the highest level. Chances are that he will never have that oppurtunity at Palace, as they will probably never be bigger than relegation yo-yo side. By moving to City, where there are better players and bigger squad he has the oppurtunity to prove himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

gimmick wrote:
    It says in todays Ireland on Sunday that Dowie will defo be off to Man City come the end of the season.

It must be true then. :rolleyes:

Allderdyce hasnt brought Bolton to europe yet has he?

They are in a european spot (6th) - I'm saying that Dowie is a step down rather than a step up, like PBH said earlier, City need ot move forward. Dowie may well indeed prove to be up to it, I just figure that it's a big ask and a big risk.

Advertisement