Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dublin on a shoe string

• 16-03-2005 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Any help is welcomed on this one...

I kinda have the same problem as Dirty Harry except I don't have any money at all, as in probably €60 for 5 days including food.

I need to show someone Dublin, we are staying in a hostel near O'Connell Street, and I am looking for a list of free things to do in Dublin.

Are the National History Museums free ?
    Can you pay a visit to the Dáil or the 4 Courts for free ?
    How about Christchurch ? Or Trinity College to see the Book of Kells ?
    Is the Hill of Tara any good or too far outside Dublin ?
    Someone told me I can get the bus to the airport with the 16A for €1.30 from O'Connell St. is that true ?
    Would eating in Trinity be cheaper and possible ?

Is there any other places ? I'm from Cork so I am a little bit bad at these things concerning Dublin.

and no I won't be sleeping with him ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Any way you can get your hands on more money? You'll barely be able to feed yourself in Dublin for 5 days with only €60. The best way to eat would be to take advantage of any cooking facilities in the Hostel and buy your food in Dunnes.

Fun things that cost (next to) nothing in Dublin:
    Climb Bray Head
    Take a walk along the beach in Sandymount
    Take the Dart teh full way along the coast
    Explore Stephen's Green
    Check out some of the buskers in Temple Bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Any help is welcomed on this one...

I kinda have the same problem as Dirty Harry except I don't have any money at all, as in probably €60 for 5 days including food.

I need to show someone Dublin, we are staying in a hostel near O'Connell Street, and I am looking for a list of free things to do in Dublin.

How about Christchurch ? Or Trinity College to see the Book of Kells ?
    Is the Hill of Tara any good or too far outside Dublin ?
    Someone told me I can get the bus to the airport with the 16A for €1.30 from O'Connell St. is that true ?
    Would eating in Trinity be cheaper and possible ?

Is there any other places ? I'm from Cork so I am a little bit bad at these things concerning Dublin.

and no I won't be sleeping with him ...

The Natural History Museum, the National Museum, The National Gallery are all free in. The Book of Kells is no longer free. It's about €7 last time I checked.

Christ Church is also free in, even though they do have a counter for you to pay at, it isn't required.

Getting into the Dáil is complicated as you need to be signed in by one of your local TDs. There really isn't much to see anyway. The interior of the building doesn't really live up to the exterior.

Sleepy is right about the DART. Use it to get to Bray and walk along the promenade and have a climb up Bray head. And you can head the other way out to Howth and head into Deer Park. There is a nice castle in there and and nice climb as well. There is also a Dolmen in there, but it's hard to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

There are lots of things to do in Dublin for free:
    http://www.hostelbookers.com/europe/dublin/free.html

The fare on the 16a to the airport from O'Connell Street is 1.50 I think - it may even be 1.75. The Aircoach and the like really rip people off. You can also get the 41, 41a/b/c to the airport from Lower Abbey Street for a 'normal' fare.

Cheap eats - Govinda's on Aungier St:
    http://www.iskcon.org.uk/dublin/

Cheap(er) cinema prices mornings (UGC) and before six pm (elsewhere).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

this should really be in travel/holidays
    B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Get Sambos from Spar and Dunnes, €2-3 euro, good food too, thats what I usually go for when im broke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

I used to work as a tour guide and here are a few tips! You do need to pay a SMALL amount to be able to see everything, but if budget is an issue - sticking to the national museums/galleries is your best bet......

Jameson Distillery - excellent tour and you are well looked after (in converse, avoid the Guinness Brewery like the plague - its worse than dire, all my groups were less than impressed)
    Book Of Kells - it does cost too, but is worth seeing, as is the Long Room of the library which George Lucas copied without prior permission in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones and nearly triggered a court case!!! (Jedi Library - blue in the film!). If you go to TCD, make sure you go to the Chapel and pop into the Museum Building as well - they are hidden treasures.....
    National Art Gallery, and if you want a free art show, walk around merrion square on sunday
    St. Patricks Cathedral - there is a reasonable entrance charge, but in my opinion is much better than Christchurch.

Making a side trip to Glendalough or powerscourt is highly recommended but you need to pay for the bus fare and the entrance cost. If you go to Glendalough, bring sandwiches and hiking boots and you will really enjoy yourself around the lakes.....

Ditto for Newgrange, but its a trek and costs a fair bob.....

The list recommended by Newgrange are pretty good......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

Yes. Both the National History Museum and the Natural History Museum are fascinating places!
    Not sure about the Dail but you can call into the 4 Courts and sit in on most of the trials there for free.
    How about Christchurch ? Or Trinity College to see the Book of Kells ??
    You have to pay to see the book of Kells, but it's nice to go for a stroll around Trinity, which can be done for free!
    The Phoenix Park is a very nice place to go. You can go on lovely walks through there to see the deer, the papal cross and they even have a visitor centre which I think is free admission but am not sure about that!

Advertisement