Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange lodge and the UUP

Options
  • 16-03-2005 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭

In the fun and excitement of all the SF bashing (seriously am expecting Irish1, to blow a gasket one day soon ish, who wants to take odds?)

Anywho...

Those fun loving members of NI's John Steed re inactment society, and drum beating fraternity have severed ties with the UUP.

Apparently the lodge have grown dissatisfied with teh UUP's power sharing, and implimentation of the GFA. Amazingly this story has seen little news. Will the lodge strength it's ties to the DUP? Does this signify a hardening of unionist position on the terms of power sharing?

What implications will this have for marching season?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4342429.stm

Background to the story

http://www.sluggerotoole.com/archives/2005/03/orange_order_se.php
    slugger's insight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

mycroft wrote:
    Those fun loving members of NI's John Steed re inactment society, and drum beating fraternity have severed ties with the UUP.
    Apparently the lodge have grown dissatisfied with teh UUP's power sharing, and implimentation of the GFA. Amazingly this story has seen little news. Will the lodge strength it's ties to the DUP? Does this signify a hardening of unionist position on the terms of power sharing?

What implications will this have for marching season?

Being the case that the UUP and OO are inextricably linked, i don't buy a word of it. Maybe the OO wants to unleash the boys this season to force their parades down nationalists throats, and maybe the UUP wants to pretend they're not one-in-the-same, to keep up appearances of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm thinking jmanO is right here. I'd imagine the UUP simply want to dissassociate themselves from the riots the Orange marches cause and then try to point score as SF get involved on the republican side. Typical pedanticism from Northern Politics if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think its a positive move - The Orange Order was an enemy of Trimbles moderate Unionism within the UUP itself and tended to vote against him. If theyre removed from the UUPs decision making process it can only be good for the prospects of another peace proccess at some point in the future.

The bad part is that the Orange Order probably left the UUP so it could align itself with the DUP, and the Orange Orders support might further solidify the DUPs vote from merely being a protest against the corruption of the first peace proccess, to one of a lasting political force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Sand wrote:
    I think its a positive move - The Orange Order was an enemy of Trimbles moderate Unionism within the UUP itself and tended to vote against him. If theyre removed from the UUPs decision making process it can only be good for the prospects of another peace proccess at some point in the future.

The bad part is that the Orange Order probably left the UUP so it could align itself with the DUP, and the Orange Orders support might further solidify the DUPs vote from merely being a protest against the corruption of the first peace proccess, to one of a lasting political force.

Unfortunately David Trimble is a member of the OO, and led an orange march hand-in-hand with Ian Paisely at Drumcree, "Moderate Unionism" is rubbish. In fact nobody in the UUP would like to be labelled as such.

Advertisement