Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GT4 - a serious prize for a serious game?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

monument wrote:
    This is a bit over the top – Sony Computer Entertainment Ireland are giving away a Nissan 350Z sports car, apparently worth 55,000 euro to the winner of their Gran Turismo 4 competition…

http://gamestoaster.typepad.com/games_toaster/2005/03/sports_car_top_.html

Man I knew it before I clicked that it would be the goddam Nurburgring. It's by far the coolest track to race - I recall it was even good at 4.30am last weekend pissed out of my skull - but it is damn hard and difficult to get into your memory like the regular tracks.

I can make it in around 10:30 in some uber car. Anyone here care to give us an idea of what we should be aiming for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Holy ****! :D

* goes off to practise GT! *

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I can make it in around 10:30 in some uber car. Anyone here care to give us an idea of what we should be aiming for?

Jeremy Clarkson done it in under 10 mins in a diesel S-Type Jag in real life.. So you must suck big time..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

managed it in 7.57 using the default settings for the car in one try. the rules dont say you cant up the power or put it on racing tyres to i think i could get it into the sub 7 minute range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

You can only do it in arcade time trails but you are allowed to use the quick tune option.
    here is the official site
    http://www.gt4ireland.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Why wasn't i notified of this sooner. Goes to practice GT4. Bring on the Nissan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I've done it in Arcade mode in 7mins 32secs. But that's using the Racing 350Z.
    Could probably practice a bit and get it under 7 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ironic that they're giving a car like that away in a competition where people are primarily controlling cars with thumbsticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

SyxPak wrote:
    Ironic that they're giving a car like that away in a competition where people are primarily controlling cars with thumbsticks.
    *crosses fingers in the hope hat Namco will give away an F-15 to the best Ace CombatV player

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Su-27 tbh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

anyone actually submit their time?

7'49.929 was my best. I can see there are places I could pick up about 4 seconds, but I ran out of time.

Nissan 350Z limited edition. TCS&ASM on. Soft tyres. 20% power inc. to 355bhp. 20% weight reduction.

The best the computer can do it in in b-spec mode is 7'56.

The website was quoting 7'22 as an average - but I think that was cosmetic to use on the site ---- there is no way I'm 27 secs off. Couldn't be... could i.

Discostu - u got a wheel, or a sore thumb like me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

does this have to be a clean lap, or can I clip the edges here and there?

[edit]Read the regs, doesn't look like it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

monument wrote:
    This is a bit over the top – Sony Computer Entertainment Ireland are giving away a Nissan 350Z sports car, apparently worth 55,000 euro to the winner of their Gran Turismo 4 competition…

http://gamestoaster.typepad.com/games_toaster/2005/03/sports_car_top_.html

Well if sony played their cards right, this competition will cause lots of hype and many people will go out and buy GT4, hopefully making back their €55,000
    with sales. If not who cares about a measily €55,000? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Dammnit, the competition closes tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

Howitzer wrote:
    The website was quoting 7'22 as an average

Which website was that then??

There is a person on another site that is down to 7:20.3 so the above 7'22 is probily true and maybe a bit slow to go to the Dublin round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Peteee wrote:
    Dammnit, the competition closes tomorrow!

pfft, like you'd have won peter bai :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

!! i did it in 8 mins in a friggin volvo! i think... wait, was probably that sweet audi. who cares, time to practise!!

Delta: do you have a link for that site?

my lap is very clean with a minor bit of grass time. I just can't see where to pick up 20 seconds. I'm thinking a lot of people have used different cars to get shorter times - they wont be able to back it up when they have to send in their mem cards to verify.

The time i posted is true and was done on the limited edition 350z as stated in the T&Cs.
    Linky

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Bah, I got her down to 7:57 before giving up. I'd say there was another 15 seconds there if I _really_ tried, but the laps were pretty good, a few offs.

Those people who have it down to 7.20 must be insanely good!

The top 16 have been picked and I heard the fastest time was a 7:06 lap...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yup my good mate got into last 16.
    A good GTR racer he is so GT4 is a cake walk for him :)

How does he think he will do in Dublin, good enough to win the car?
    Also do you know what it will be in the final, a 16 car race or a individual time attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gaid1n

I don't know how i will do in the final, but im not goin to get my hopes up.
    The top 16 times ranged from 7:06 to 7:15, i did a 7:14.5 so there's a lot of guys faster than me.
    Im gonna have to do a bit of practice to find out where the rest of the lads picked up those 8s.
    Afaik there were 2 or 3 7:06's a 7:08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13 and a load of 14's and 15's.

It's gonna be real interesting!!!

bit of a sore loser post this... :-)
    how did you get that time? no jiggery pokery? no BAR style hidden fuel tanks?

Congrats to the winners. My time was 7.49 which with owning the game less than a week was ok I thought.
    CAR magazine have an article on this 'raping' of nurburgring. Refering to 14yr olds crushing times of legendary champions. The final thought in the article is that if you were hooked up to the ps for a 2000volt shock every time you hit a wall, then you'd think twice about pushing so hard over the crest of that next hill!

Would like to watch the final 16 showdown. Any idea where it's held?

oh and - did you use a steering wheel? there must be advantage to that? might get one

No, i didn't use a steering wheel. I have one but it's setup for GTR on the PC, which imo is way better that GT4. Any serious race fans out there......
    BUY IT!!!

You never know some of them times could be against the rules.
    You only had to send in that number so people could have cut corners in the game, think there is a few places you can cut across the grass and pick up a few seconds.
    Ah well they probily will be disqualified on the day in Dublin if they did...

• Advertisement

As far as im concerned, everyone cut corners/surfed barriers, and according to the woman on the phone, in the finals, cuttin corners is ok as apparently "you will spin 4 out of 5 times" It's turnin into a bit of a joke tbo!!!

Advertisement