Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First St Patrick's Day Parade in Dublin

Options
  • 16-03-2005 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

I'm looking for the date of the first St. Patrick's Day parade in Dublin.

I would guess late 1950s or early 1960s, but I can't find any sources.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Hmm, I would say you are WAAAAAYYYYY off, they celebrated St. Patrick's Day with parades in New York in the late 1700s and started in Irish towns and cities in the 1890s I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

ionapaul wrote:
    Hmm, I would say you are WAAAAAYYYYY off, they celebrated St. Patrick's Day with parades in New York in the late 1700s and started in Irish towns and cities in the 1890s I think.

Perhaps. You wouldn't have a source for the 1890s, would you? I can find plenty of references for the U.S. parades.

I remember hearing once that the parades here were very much a post-war development, and were provided because U.S. tourists expected them.

Advertisement