Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stopping people saving things

Options
  • 06-09-2000 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

I've seen it on some sites where if you right click on something that a message pops up basically telling you these are my pictures and you cant have them biggrin.gif how do they do it?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

here's one type of example (on www.swanhattersley.co.uk )
    <script language=Javascript>
    <!--
    /*
      Disable right mouse clicks.
    */
    var message="&#169; Swan Hattersley Ltd. 2000\n\nDesign Garden-Technology Ltd."
    function click(e){
      if (document.all) {
        if (event.button == 2) {
          alert(message)
          return false
        }
      }
      if (document.layers){
        if (e.which == 3) {
          alert(message)
          return false
        }
      }
    }
    if (document.layers) {
      document.CaptureEvents(Event.MOUSEClick);
    }
    document.onmousedown=click;
    //-->
    </script>

...this one doesn't work with nadscrape, only internet exploder...(afaik)

you could try here http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright.htm for a cross browser version... here is the script if you don't want to bother...
    <script language=JavaScript>
    <!--

/*
    Disable right mouse click Script (By Crash @ [url="http://walk.to/crash)"]http://walk.to/crash)[/url] 
    Submitted to and permission granted to Dynamicdrive.com to feature script in it's archive
    For full source code to this script and 100's more, visit  [url="http://dynamicdrive.com"]http://dynamicdrive.com[/url] 
    */

var message="Function Disabled";
    function click(e) {
    if (document.all) {
    if (event.button==2| |event.button==3) {
    alert(message);
    return false;
    }
    }
    if (document.layers) {
    if (e.which == 3) {
    alert(message);
    return false;
    }
    }
    }
    if (document.layers) {
    document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
    }
    document.onmousedown=click;
    // --> 
    </script>

Don't even think about it...
    www.licksy.net
    info@licksy.net

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

In your image tag put an onMouseDown event handler.
    Something like this..
    &lt;img src="../images/pic.gif" onMouseDown="alert('P1ss off and get your own pictures')"&gt;

When a person right clicks or left clicks on the image a message box will pop up telling them to p1ss off! They probably won't come back to your site if you tell them to p1ss off though biggrin.gif so best say something more tactful.

Bugger frown.gif schit! I tried it in Netscape and it still pops up the menus for saving images after you close down the message box. Bugger!
    It works in IE anyway but thats not much good to you. Sorry frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Cerberus (edited 06-09-2000).]

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

How ever the pics will be in the cache, so someone determined will still get them.

Draco

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Draco makes an excellent point. Trying to code something like this is a waste of development time. If someone wants your images, they'll get your images, - even if it means doing a screen grab, pasting into a graphics app. and cropping, - or trawling through their browser cache, - they'll get them.

You should, however, copyright your original artwork and the images on your site. There are various ways of doing this, which I won't go into because I make no claims to being a legal expert.

It is possible to embed comments into GIF files for example (although these, naturally, can be removed) with a program such as Graphics Workshop- not sure if Paintshop or Photoshop can do that, now that I think of it.....

Bard
    |home page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Thanks for the help smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Just on the side... Menu buttons like those on that Swan Hattersly site are:

a> a big pain in the ass. Why do it as an image when text would do the job just as well? ... or if it really needs that graphical look- just ONE background button image could be used for all of them and styled text overlayed on it.

b> easily reproduced in a program such as Xara WebStyle. No point in -trying to- protect them with a (frankly bloody annoying) javascript popup.

Just my 2 cents...

Bard
    |home page

I came across the swan site image protection when i was looking for the images for our site...(we sell swan furniture) and the images are the same as in their catalogue so it saved me doing some scanning...
    the disabling of the right mouse click is a pain...but their version doesnt work with netscape so thats pretty silly.... of course, you can still view source in IE, locate the url of the image you want, copy and paste it into the address bar and hey presto...the image... which you can then save to your hearts content... a wee bit messy but hardly l33t hacking or anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Despite what a lot of people think its actually
    easy enough to individually (ie match session id
    to mark id) [water]mark each (c) image, its not
    worth the hassle of menu items but say original drawings.
    thing is tho, its generally not worth the hassle
    its easy enuff to remove watermarks with almost any image manipulation
    proggy and well its hardly easy (using a search engine)
    to try find your image. of course if its on a popular site
    then you have a good chance of finding your (c) violation,
    but a pop site usually has a good legal team and is willing to pay you royalites long before they ever "steal" your image. of course imho IP law is dumb for non-reasearch / art kinda stuff. Ip can make it worth while to develop an art form but current ip promotes big companies getting bigger and small companies getting smaller. and i've had several beers so forgive rantishness, i dont like ranting, but well, i do wander OT. lots of love etc --dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

AFAIK

Copyright of artworks written or drawn or whatever is automatically in place when a piece has been finished so to speak. I'll post about this from a document i'm reading t the moment when i get home. It's a bit vague ......i dunno why im botherin posting now like.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Just a note to those people who think they
    can use javascript to "protect" their sites :) ...

1) The web is about the most public of places,
    don't put something up if you think its going
    to be ripped off.

2) Javascript can be turned off.

3) There *is* a view source button (all those 31337 geocities hax0ring sites seem to forget this)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

So, what would you guys suggest in the case of someone nicking your images, or trying to represent themselves as you by using your name on their site?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

ya can do some stuff with flash that will have the page basically the same , but not easily copied.

Big question is why bother, as with javascript you can turn this off , you can view the souce , you can checkout your temp. files.

loads of possibilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Nicking images, just sign them smile.gif
    Well, you could actually edit your name or something onto the bottom, but a determined person could prolly edit that out too.

Like someone said, if you dont want it ripped off, dont put it on the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Yeah, FB's right. Being in the area of graphic design myself it dos'nt hurt to know a little bit on copyright.
    Any original graphical work u create, be it a web site, poster, animation or whatever is antomaticly copyright off the author.
    once ur doing it on ur own time, i.e if ur working doing design work for a company it'll be in ur contract that anything u create in there is theirs, however u do have rights to it also, like being able to make copys of it for non commercial display (portfolio)

Anything u do freelance is your own, unless the company appily for copyright off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

i actually like the thought of my images and art i create being circulated around the internet. gives you that feeling of doing something good (for once)

as far as the websites go (ie. code, images layout, design...), everyone copies each other. its a fact and its true so live with it. smile.gif

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

Those buttons on swan hatersley can be downlaoded for free on sites like www.coolarchive.com so there just showing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Just disable javascript and whee you have the image.

Best protection I have seen was on a Warnerbrother site (think it was batman).

When you saved the picture to disk and opened it up it had all corruption in it as if the save didn't work properly.

At first I started looking for what was causing the problem with the corruption when I finally realised it wasn't corruption. What they did was create an animated GIF that doesn't cycle. Everything that was corrupted was kept on a couple of lairs down. It was so messed that trying to put it back together inside a paint program would be a nightmare for the newbie. But the point was it fooled the person into thinking it was copy protected.

Also CB, if the picture isn't a link, it's even easier...
    Like on the http://www.swanhattersley.co.uk/ main page, left-click and hold on the main picture (the 4 patio sets).... and drag your mouse into the address bar and release.... then save away from your cache...
    When the picture is a link, it just takes you to the linked page... or something™

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Licksy20:
    or something™</font>

lol icon1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

that'll learn Katie Phillips & Kelly Biddington.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

i think if you put the picture in a database you cant copy it but basically if you have something u dont want ppl to steal dont put em on the net also that javascript doesnt work against macs they only have 1 button

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

Just to prove that it's an absolute waste of time here are the image from the swan hattersley site, which they were trying to protect.

http://www.swanhattersley.co.uk/images/navbar-tables.jpg

I'm an economist, I do not work in web development, I have virtually no web design/development experience (I just learned basic html over the last month so i could do a page for a project I'm working on) and it took me 30 secs to view source and link to the image i wanted.

Advertisement