Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about viewing ASP pages offline

Options
  • 17-03-2005 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before, but i need to know how to view ASP pages that i've written offline. Do i need a special program like tomcat for JSP? With tomorrow being the day it is i have to work at home cos college is closed.

All the best,

Darren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

You need IIS, Microsofts webserver. If you have Win2k Prof or XP prof its part of the windows components so install it from there. If you have XP Home I'm not sure, I know there was some cut down webserver that you could install for Win98, might be one for XP Home as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Kernel32 wrote:
    You need IIS, Microsofts webserver. If you have Win2k Prof or XP prof its part of the windows components so install it from there. If you have XP Home I'm not sure, I know there was some cut down webserver that you could install for Win98, might be one for XP Home as well.

Yes, it was called Personal Web Services, or something. Considering Microsoft's ongoing dumbing down of names ("My Network Places", anyone?), it may now be called "Look maw, I done been put an interweb site on the magic TV" or something. Still, as XP Home is simply XP Pro with all useful features removed, they may not have brought one out.
    Rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

ASP..?

/me shudders

IIS for NT based PC's and PWS for them older machines.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

there are 3 links which will help towards the bottom of www.webwizguide.info/asp

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

rsynnott wrote:
    "Look maw, I done been put an interweb site on the magic TV"
    :D

Afaik, there are ASP-like modules you can get for Apache, but it would be less hassle to get IIS. It would also help to get some experience using IIS. Microsoft or not, there's no point in pretending it doesn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Chillesoft (spl?) do an ASP module for apache but for learning purposes you should go with IIS which is free if you own a supporting version of Windows.

seamus wrote:
    :D

Afaik, there are ASP-like modules you can get for Apache, but it would be less hassle to get IIS. It would also help to get some experience using IIS. Microsoft or not, there's no point in pretending it doesn't exist.

There are as couple of fairly nasty (and commercial) ASP things for Apache, there's also a free Perl ASP system (of all things). Prob'ly better off using IIS if you want to do ASP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Raideneire

IIS would be the easiest to use for ASP on your own machine if you're already running XP Pro - it'd be the simplest to set up.

One thing though, if you have XP Pro, and Service Pack 2 installed, and then you try to install IIS 5.1 from the XP Pro CD, it'll fail everytime...

If you had IIS 5.1 installed originally with XP, then installed SP2 there won't be a problem.

If you do run into the above problem then put in this command in the Run Dialog from Start Menu

esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb

It'll work then...

Raideneire wrote:
    IIS would be the easiest to use for ASP on your own machine if you're already running XP Pro - it'd be the simplest to set up.

One thing though, if you have XP Pro, and Service Pack 2 installed, and then you try to install IIS 5.1 from the XP Pro CD, it'll fail everytime...

If you had IIS 5.1 installed originally with XP, then installed SP2 there won't be a problem.

If you do run into the above problem then put in this command in the Run Dialog from Start Menu

esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb

It'll work then...

And people say Linux isn't userfriendly....

Advertisement