Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Attempted Theft - Gardai catch thieves...

Options
  • 17-03-2005 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

The night before last some little $cumbags tried to steal my brothers car. Its only an 88 Starlet but has all his work tools in the boot which would be worth more the car.

Five 16, maybe 17 years olds pulled up outside our house in a Fiesta they had already stolen. They bent the door back on the Starlet and got inside. As they were rolling the car back to get the it out of the driveway the Gardai pulled around the corner, They had been looking for these guys and had already received a few calls about them. This is great you might think, they've caught them red-handed.....

The Gardai had "words" with these lads, took the Fiesta off them and told them to go home :eek: WTF ???? What is wrong with our legal system.... They should have least being brought to the station for questionning and held overnight. i know not alot can be done cause they're under 18 but don't just let them go ! I can bet they started to walk home and the first car they seen that they could break into they did !

Super Gardai as usual .....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Did you contact the Gardai about it to see what they say? If you feel that strongly about it you should lodge a complaint with the Garda ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Absolutely. Lodge a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I see it all the time around where we work (Coolock), the Gardai catch people robbing things from business's and they are told to put the stuff back and they are also given a stern talking to. The Gardai are worth their weight in feathers. Offence meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

Praetorian wrote:
    I see it all the time around where we work (Coolock), the Gardai catch people robbing things from business's and they are told to put the stuff back and they are also given a stern talking to. The Gardai are worth their weight in feathers. Offence meant.
    id a gti golfm2 stolen 7 weeks ago,gardai are f..... useless,id give any money to catch them s...m bags,its a f..... joke they should b locket up at any age,after the s..t is kicked out off them,there no law for those robben s..m bags,easy work and money is all the law wants,catch saps like us going 3mile over the limit,u know the story i wont boare u,u can be sure,that those little b......s,where out robbin the next night :mad: :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

In fairness lads, the legal system and the Gardaí are two very different things. What can the Gardaí do? Bring them down to the station, and then let them go? This is a lacking legal system rather than poor policing which means that the Gardaí can do little if anything with those little pricks. Plus those little pricks are fully aware of the situation and take advantage of the fact.

As far as I'm concerned, we need 24 hours courts like they have in some US states, more remand places for young offenders, and punishment for the parents/guardians of these young offenders. Then things might change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

PauloMN wrote:
    In fairness lads, the legal system and the Gardaí are two very different things. What can the Gardaí do? Bring them down to the station, and then let them go? This is a lacking legal system rather than poor policing which means that the Gardaí can do little if anything with those little pricks. Plus those little pricks are fully aware of the situation and take advantage of the fact.

As far as I'm concerned, we need 24 hours courts like they have in some US states, more remand places for young offenders, and punishment for the parents/guardians of these young offenders. Then things might change.

a night in the cells wouldn't have hurt....

i saw someone in court page of the paper the other day for stealing €7 of groceries from a supermarket.... i know who i would rather see in court...

well , at least it wasn't something serious like downloading a song from the internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Screw lodging a complaint. Have a chat to one of hte national newspapers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I presume they confirmed the young fellas names and addresses and will prosecute at a later date, ie prepare a file and summons them to court.... The Gardai arent in the habit of letting people off for crimes like attempting to rob a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭halkar

Once my car was stolen, called the Gardai and they said they will be around in 2 hours. Garda station was cross the road to me with less than 5 minutes walk. :mad:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

eth0_ wrote:
    If you feel that strongly about it you should lodge a complaint with the Garda ombudsman.
    We don't have one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

halkar wrote:
    Once my car was stolen, called the Gardai and they said they will be around in 2 hours. Garda station was cross the road to me with less than 5 minutes walk. :mad:

ever consider that they have 50 other things to attend to first? Or do you believe that your car is more important than other peoples problems too?

Lads, you all know that the Gardai pretty much have their hands tied. They know the courts will do **** all to these scumbags. I doubt they can lock a 16 year old in a cell for the night either (I can guess 1 or 2 names on boards who would object to this. Nor can they give the little bastards a good beating.

To top it off, they are grossly understaffed, have to follow so much red tape its ridiculous and have the worst computer system in Europe..

Instead of moaning about the average Gardai doing feck all, have a word with your TD..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Had the same thing with a motor bike that was nicked form me years ago, they let the **** go as they were under 18. They wouldn't even give me their names and address's so I could call around. And of course I had to claim off my insurance for this instead of the bastards and their parents paying. DaveD, can you get them to pay for the damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭halkar

..Instead of moaning about the average Gardai doing feck all, have a word with your TD..

And what will TDs do?
    I did not call the Gardai to catch the scumbags, called them to report it and to make a statement, as I was commuting between here and UK at the time. All that would have taken only 10 minutes. I know they can be busy and can be under staffed but crime is a crime and they are under pressure but when you wake up one morning and your car is gone and they say they be around 2 hours time it is annoying.

I guess they and the scumbags don't care about cars as they are insured and leave it to insurance companies to deal with. At the end we get screwed. It all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

IMO if they can introduce legislation to allow on the spot fines/tickets to be issued for motoring offences then they can do it for other crimes too. The Courts were clogged up with motoring offence issues and have been freed up accordingly so why cant they deal with these offenders/criminal now ?

If someone is caught red handed they should fingerprint them, identify them positively and issue fines there and then, if they go unpaid they get doubled or they do time !

Letting them go is an offence in itself AFAIC !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

You know, parents in France are penally responsible for their kids until they turn 18. In practice, that means that parents take a liability insurance and when the kids break/damage/steal/[insert next], the parents' insurance coughs up - and if there's no insurance, the aggrieved party can get a court order & mandate bailiffs to "go & collect" the s***bags' parents' brand new Sony WS telly, and whatever else, to the tune of the damages...

Kinda puts an added onus on parents to care for what their sprogs get up to, maybe reintroduce some element of civility in their upbringing (on can but hope)... I can't see why such legislation could not be introduced (unless the majority of voters see it (yet again) as an infringement of their civil liberties?). Personally, I am forever regretting that there isn't a license to have kids -after all, you need one to do pretty much anything- and this legislation would be akin to introducing one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

ambro25 wrote:
    You know, parents in France are penally responsible for their kids until they turn 18. In practice, that means that parents take a liability insurance and when the kids break/damage/steal/[insert next], the parents' insurance coughs up - and if there's no insurance, the aggrieved party can get a court order & mandate bailiffs to "go & collect" the s***bags' parents' brand new Sony WS telly, and whatever else, to the tune of the damages...

I like it... It would certainly get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

when I had a fiesta, it was nicked by some scum bags, the cops caught them but who ended up paying for the damange done to the car, not the little pr!cks who robbed it, even if they dont go to jail they should be made pay compo for the damage they do.

Nuttzz wrote:
    when I had a fiesta, it was nicked by some scum bags, the cops caught them but who ended up paying for the damange done to the car, not the little pr!cks who robbed it, even if they dont go to jail they should be made pay compo for the damage they do.
    You'll get about 50c a week out of them, or they'll just not bother their ass paying, and the warrant will be insiginificant below the pile of other warrants outstanding. It's less hassle just to pay it yourself.

seamus wrote:
    You'll get about 50c a week out of them, or they'll just not bother their ass paying, and the warrant will be insiginificant below the pile of other warrants outstanding.

Which is why there should be a recourse to repo' stuff from them / their legal guardian(s) and auction it, in the alternative - (subject to an order of the Court, obviously - we're not barbarians).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

seamus wrote:
    You'll get about 50c a week out of them, or they'll just not bother their ass paying, and the warrant will be insiginificant below the pile of other warrants outstanding. It's less hassle just to pay it yourself.

Sure I'd end up having to pay out initally but if they were under 18 their childrens allowance could be diverted to me (centrally) or if they were over 18 the money taken from their dole (centrally again) and if they were working, their employer would divert a portion of their wages directly. Its all possible its just having the stomach to do it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

2 words, Rubber.Hose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

lol rubber hose. hmm. i feel stupid i don't get it.

although, i have considered this idea of making parents financially responsible for the stuff their scummy kids do, you have to accept that not all knacker kids have knacker parents and some parents, try their best, but are just crap and it's not entirely their fault their kids grew in monsters.

i think their should be more personal responcibility for 16 year olds etc. let them vote, drink, smoke, drive, but lock them up for fkuking up.

i likke the idea of sticking criminal teenages not in mountjoy or patricks, but in some foreign prison. so they don;t get to make all their scummy contacts with other scummy criminals in our prisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Kinda puts an added onus on parents to care for what their sprogs get up to, maybe reintroduce some element of civility in their upbringing (on can but hope)... I can't see why such legislation could not be introduced (unless the majority of voters see it (yet again) as an infringement of their civil liberties?). Personally, I am forever regretting that there isn't a license to have kids -after all, you need one to do pretty much anything- and this legislation would be akin to introducing one...

This is so obvious its almost unbelieveable that it doesn't happen here !

I'd vote for it too in a shot...........even if it WAS a FF suggestion !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have been in France a number of times over the last few years and one thing that I really noticed was the lack of vandalism despite the obvious opportunities. For example, in one town there was a bridge crossing a river with a drop of about 70 or 80 foot. All along this bridge were lovely window boxes with blooming flowers. How long would they be sitting there in Ireland?

MercMad wrote:
    even if it WAS a FF suggestion !

what's one of them, then? :confused:

ambro25 wrote:

It's a good idea, I just see one problem with it. Where's the escape clause? We have to be fair to a minority, and allow a loophole whereby someone can effectively "disown" a child that they cannot keep control of (after exhausting all other avenues obviously), under justification that they cannot afford to keep paying the fines the child incurs.
    Obviously such a disowning would come with certain penalties, such as a portion of wages going towards the child's state care, also certain limitations against having more children, etc. But it needs to be there.
    And we all know that state care isn't a good answer for the really bad kids. Some of the worst kids are those who come out of State care*, which is effectively like putting a child in a home with no discipline, absentee parents and an experienced criminal/teacher living in the house.

How do France deal with this?

*Plenty of good kids come out of state care too, but those who go in bad, generally get worse, much like prison

seamus wrote:
    How do France deal with this?
    Precisely with a "disowning" procedure of the kind suggested (the child becomes a "Pupille de la Nation", AFAIK).

It is far, far from an ideal situation, very obviously, but it would -thankfully- only constitute a small minority, expectedly - one has to bear in mind the discomfort of the (very) few for the greater good of all...or something to that effect anyhow.

Bear in mind that Social Services in France have something to teach to most of the rest of the World, in this respect (you will know, or have a fair idea, of how much France spends on Social Security - rather as if the stuff grows on tree), which is why this particular problem , big or small, is not so much a concern over there than it would over here or the UK, considering...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

lol rubber hose. hmm. i feel stupid i don't get it.
    Rubber hoses leave no marks when you beat someone with one.
    I am led to believe it is a favourite tactic with the turkish police.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CJhaughey wrote:
    Rubber hoses leave no marks when you beat someone with one.
    I am led to believe it is a favourite tactic with the turkish police.
    :D

They should be part of the garda uniform here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Chief--- wrote:
    I presume they confirmed the young fellas names and addresses and will prosecute at a later date, ie prepare a file and summons them to court.... The Gardai arent in the habit of letting people off for crimes like attempting to rob a car.

I doubt you'll see them in court. Afaik they have to be dealt with under the juvenille liason scheme as they're under 18. I assume the Gardai took their names & addresses but tbh i can't see the Gardai taking this any further.
    FX Meister wrote:
    DaveD, can you get them to pay for the damage?

Its my brothers car and he's just not bothered about it. He was gonna change the car anyway and the damage caused would have written it off ! Don't think he's gonna bother even trying to get them to pay as i'm sure he'll just be wasting his time.

My own car has been broken into on 2 occasions now. The first time i had to bring the car to the Garda station as everytime i rang i was told they'd be here shortly but they never showed. Second time i caught the scumbags robbing my stereo & called the Gardai immediately. If they had of been on the ball, there may have been a good chance they would have caught these guys. It took nearly 5 hours for the Gardai to turn up ! I have no faith whatsoever in our police force !

Advertisement