Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparitive Study - Engliish

Options
  • 17-03-2005 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

What texts are u doing?
    I'm doing:
    Dances with Wolves
    Panther In the Basement
    Juno and The Paycock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Regeneration
    Dancing at Lughnasa
    Witness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭[RS] Finch*

of mice and men
    home before night
    playboy of western world

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I did Pride & Prejudice (my favourite book ever even before the LC), Circle of Friends and Strictly Ballroom. Great combination :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Witness, Directed by Peter Weir
    Panther in the Basement by Amos Oz
    Playboy of the Western World by JM Synge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Strictly Ballroom
    Playboy of the West World
    Hamlet

PS:..Happy St Patricks Day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

We're doing, slowly but surely:

Juno and The Paycock
    Silas Marner
    On The Waterfront
    Great Expectations

Our teacher has decided to do the extra one, just in case. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

Amongst Women
    Strictly Ballroom
    A Doll's House

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

witness
    juno and the payock
    silas marner

like juno the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Jane Eyre
    Strictly Ballroom
    Playboy of the Western World

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Fast_Mover i think u got mixed up. Hamlet is your single text not comparitive. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hamlet doesn't have to be the single text, its just that most people do it as that cause it takes the most time so it makes sense to do it for the Q that gives u the most marks. It can be studied as either a comparative text or the single text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Silas Marner
    Witness
    Of Mice and Men(yet to do this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

For me last year, was:

Amongst Women
    King Lear
    On The Waterfront

Probably not on the syllabus this year, since nobody seems to be doing them.

stand corrected :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hamlet
    strictly ballroom
    juno and the paycock

we decided to do hamlet in the comparative as to go against the grain as 80% of Leaving cert students will be doing their single text question with hamlet

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Juno and The Paycock
    Silas Marner
    Playboy by Western World

Hamlet is single text..

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Hamlet is your single text not comparitive.
    we all make mistakes.... :p
    Fast_Mover i think u got mixed up.
    cheek of ya to think that i get mixed up!! :D ..ur forgivin tho randomfella ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lestats_bride

Zhane wrote:
    Silas Marner
    Witness
    Of Mice and Men(yet to do this)

I'm doing the exact same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I`m doing I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
    Of Mice and Men
    Witness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

A Doll's House
    Amongst Women
    Much Ado About Nothing

i notice a few are doing strictly ballroom. whats it about? i dont know why but it seems an odd choice. i guess i wouldnt consider it as much of a literary masterpiece as a doll's house, silas marner or some of the shakespeare stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Im doing Strictly Ballroom. You've probly seen it on TV. Always on at Christmas. Here are some notes on it... http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/homeworkzone_sc.asp?id=1047

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

yeah ive often seen it advertised around christmas, but could never bring myself to believe a film containing ballroom dancing would be much good. having looked at the plot summary though i think ill check it out at some stage it looks quite good.

btw..throughout the 2 year course, my teacher has always went on about 3 modes of comparison - theme & issue, lit genre, and general vision & viewpoint. i know that cultural context has come up in the past, but she hasnt even mentioned it once. do the possible modes we can be asked on the paper cycle....ie can cultural context come up on the paper this year, or is it on a "year off"?

Cultural context was for last year. THis year its only literary genre, general vision and viewpoint, and Theme/issue. Still not sure how to answer these questions even though i know what they are asking. Anyone know where there are sample answers or could someone post one up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lestats_bride

I thought literary genre was for last year?eek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

Strictly Ballroom is a good enough film considering....!Wouldn't make my top choice of films, but it's a break from serious films that require you to follow everything!Its's kinda hard to do comparative study on it i think?!Does anyone know if theres a notes book in the shops about it?
    I hope it's definitly literary genre this year, its easy and you can have an answer prepared before hand cos you've only to remember a list of techniques

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Kitsune

Silas Mariner
    Playboy Of The Western World
    Dances With Wolves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Silas Marner
    Dancing at Lughnasa
    Witness

DAL is really good, Witness is decent if not slightly cliched (with a god-awful soundtrack), and SM..........die mole boy, DIE!!!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

3 years ago, it was
    Death and Nightingales
    King Lear
    The Third Man.
    An absolutely horrible combination. I hated English with a fiery passion.

i really need help here with how to study for this question. I'm thinking of learning 4examples under each mode in each text. This totals 36. Is this right? i'm debating whether to leave out theme-issue or not, as i feel G.V.V will definitely be up. But anyway im wondering when answering the question, do you go straight into giving the examples, or do you actually discuss that mode and what it is first? Its really confusing when i have a **** teacher so any help is much appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

ok,im not totally down with the whole comparitive ques, but I will gladly share what little knowledge I have of it with you. The main thing with the question is to get lots of "C"s in the margin. The examiner gives you a "C" everytime you make a comparison of one text with another, for example,

' The theme of isolation and its effects can be seen clearly in Silas Marner {insert e.g. here}, similarly in Witness isolation plays a key part in the main plot of the story {insert other e.g. here}'

This would count as 1 comparison ie.1 "C". And from what I can gather, the more "C"s you have the higher your mark is going to be.

I don't think you necessarily have to explain the mode so much as give, through your answer, the impression that you fully understand what it entails. If you don't, it will be pretty apparent early on.
    But I'm not 100% on that

:)

Advertisement