Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 letter search limit is frustrating..

Options
  • 17-03-2005 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

When searching the forums I quite often want to search on a 3 letter word.. now I know for server cpu cycles returning so many results would bog the system down.

However if the three letter word is used in conjuction with another longer word - its actually reducing the result set.

It should be possible to lift the 3 letter limit if there is more than one word ?

Am I alone here?? :confused:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

for searching ibm:
    type: ibm*
    and so on
    problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Thanks .. and even the double wild card eg - *the* works - and for single words - makes the original limit silly then!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

You could also use google.

--> ibm site:www.boards.ie

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Excellent, this was bugging me in the past on this and other sites :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Would it be an idea to put a msg on the search page that suggests to do a google search with the "site:www.boards.ie" qualifier if you can't find what you're looking for with the boardsie search?

I know a lot of people come up against this problem and get pissed off with it without bothering to check the faq or post on feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

pwd wrote:
    for searching ibm:
    type: ibm*
    and so on
    problem solved
    I've tried using that method in the past and it keeps throwing the old "three letter limit" my way...

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'm almost certain there's a link on the main page which does a google search...

*checks*

Indeed, down the bottom of the main page there's a google powered boards.ie search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I've tried using that method in the past and it keeps throwing the old "three letter limit" my way...
    Well try it now.
    It does work.

Advertisement