Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

servers at home

Options
  • 11-04-2001 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I was wondering if it was possible to have a server running on your computer and being able to connect to it (from that computer) while you are offline.

I have sambar server at home but I can only connect to it when I'm online.

I was just wondering if a) there are any other servers which allow connections offline or if possible b) you can make the sambar server accessible while offline.

I would rather the second one because I don't want the bother of installing a third server, but if its not possible I'll settle for the first.

anyways all help appreciated. ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

What exactly is a sambar server ?

a samba server ?

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

yeah i had this problem with pws just hit try again dont actually go onto the inetnet but make sure its not off-line. that probaly confused the hell out of ya but basically what im saying is dont connect to the net but make sure ur browser isnt in off-line mode then connect to 127.0.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

is samba a webserver ?
    any TCP/IP thingie should be able to run locally/without connecting if you navigate to '127.0.0.1' , or 'localhost' as its known at home...

you shouldn't even need a modem/net card, - just TCP/IP stack installed.

is that IE with that 'offline/online' setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Well thanks for all the help anyway but I got it working in the end. It was all down to my connection settings, the most frustrating part was that it was working fine for opera but not ie but its working now so I'm all right ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

http://ie.samba.org/samba/samba.html
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Samba is an open source software suite that provides seamless file and print services to SMB/CIFS clients. Samba is freely available under the GNU General Public License
    </font>

SMB/CIFS is what Windows (mainly, some other os's too) use for file sharing, mapping network drives, networked printing etc. Samba is a free, unix/linux implementation of the SMB/CIFS protocol, which means you can run a file/printserver on a linux box which nt/windows machines can access.

• Advertisement
Advertisement