Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plush

Options
  • 17-03-2005 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

Did anyone go to the new nightclub in the Helix?

I've heard it was €7 in and then the queues for the bar were ridiculous and it was just generally crap.....

Personally, I chose town....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Didn't go, but it can't have been worse than town...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭humbleCounty

yeah twould be handy if it worked out

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Eh, I lasted about 10 minutes in there. I think the foyer was nice enough.... that's about all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

It's never that place but always the people there. Like every other club it depends in the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Denny

yea thought it was good bar was a bit of joke tho! Once they get there act together tho it should be cool!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I had really hoped it'd get good reviews. I mean, it should really add to the atmosphere here in DCU, hopefully it doesnt fail miserably.

I'd have expected it to be better considering how it sold out and whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thefuturehead

i went. here are my musings:

- bar was ridiculous. more 'plush girls' (aka waitresses) needed, especially with a bar that small serving 600+ people
    - in the foyer, you couldn't hear the music on the dancefloor. so you had to decide to go there in the hope that something good was on.
    - get more people in. i know they limited the tickets to make sure the first date was a sell out, but definitely try to get more people. screw the chill out in the foyer, play the same music there.
    - the dancefloor felt like a school hall emptied out for an underage disco. it was completely bare, bar the dj box. get a few tables or decoration in there.
    - drinks need to be cheaper
    - where did all the hot girls come from? this is dcu, attractive people aren't supposed to come here...

overall though, it was pretty good. definite potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Hello All,

The Irish Dancing National Championship are being held in the Helix this
    Wednesday and will not finish until 12 that night, Plush has unfortunately
    had to be postponed for this week. We'll be back Wed 30th and be running
    weekly till the end of the Semester.

We hope that this has not disappointed too many of you as once more demand
    for tickets has been incredibly high.

Tickets are selling in The Helix Box Office and from the Plush team around
    campus.

The Helix and Plush staff would like to thank everybody for making the first
    Plush a success, and have pledged to throw their weight behind our mission
    to re-vamp student nightlife on DCU campus. It is about time for a change of
    scene?

Keep you eyes on http://plush.musicious.com for updates, photos and news
    regarding Plush. If you have any ideas or comments about Plush please let us
    know.

The Plush Team.
    Another event cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Thanks for telling us that just there.

The fact that it was sent to All Students means we obviously wouldn't have seen it.
    And how can it be another event cancelled if it's their second and their first one went ahead fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I think OFDM means another event in DCU is cancelled

• Advertisement

And isn't Plush a business seperate to the DCU SU and SPC and anything student related?

I don't think you can classify it as a DCU event...

It just happens to be in a student area and it's main market will be students. And the local "trainer" wearing population it seems to want to pride itself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Why are they allowed to send all student mails when clubs like Spirit, or Barcode (or whatever it's called) wouldn't be allowed?

I presume DCU gets something out of students using the Helix.
    I thought the Helix was something seperate to the college? Am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Amz wrote:
    Why are they allowed to send all student mails when clubs like Spirit, or Barcode (or whatever it's called) wouldn't be allowed?

It's exactly the same as Paul May giving out to that Ken Robinson dude about sending emails around.

Most of the stuff Paul May sends around is spam, then he gives out to Ken over sending something informative about the gym.

And then we are spammed by Plush! It just seems like there are rules for some people, and other rules for the remainder!

Off topic - have people noticed a huge about of junk spam in their emails lately? I've been getting a load of spam suddenly in the last 3 weeks or so :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

tinkerbell wrote:
    Off topic - have people noticed a huge about of junk spam in their emails lately? I've been getting a load of spam suddenly in the last 3 weeks or so :confused:

Yeh loads... a lot of unsolicited emails with Re: in the subjects I just delete on sight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

id say that paul let the mail about plush through because it'd get more people into the bar in the hub on a weds night. plush aint open til 11 so thats a few hours drinkin in the bar for people. where better to go than the over priced bar in dcu. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

oh and it can be seen as a dcusu event if it goes well, if it bombs on its bum, the su can say "nothing to do with us"

Sigh. You're all tards.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

rugbug86 wrote:
    oh and it can be seen as a dcusu event if it goes well, if it bombs on its bum, the su can say "nothing to do with us"

Heh, you talk like the SU have a reputation to protect...

More seriously, Paul May is working to make things better for the students in DCU, not to stop "commerical" use of the mailing list. Screw it, if it breathes a bit of life into things who cares if someone is getting free advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Zyox wrote:
    Thanks for telling us that just there.

The fact that it was sent to All Students means we obviously wouldn't have seen it.
    And how can it be another event cancelled if it's their second and their first one went ahead fine...

Sigh. You're all tards.
    Enough of the sass, Mr Sassy Pants...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭isolde

any idea what you get paid to be one of these "plush girls"? sounds like a handy enough number. do ya have to wear some sort of random uniform? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

If you have "the look" they're looking for I'd imagine some form of uniform is required.

I don't like the idea of being paid on a comission per drink, it's a club targeted at students, you're hardly going to be minted after it.

*shrug*

I'll stick with the Playboy Club thanks ...

I thought the Helix was something seperate to the college? Am I wrong?

Yes, yes you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

is it €3 a drink? heard this place was gonna be another barcode rival

Not in the least... or so the legend goes...

i heard there were bottles of beer for 2.50 (Rolling Rock?) not the may west but still fairly cheap

the only money plush girls make is the 50 cent extra charged on drinks if you order your drinks from them instead of at the bar. and at the first plush night, that became a much more attractive option when you saw the mayhem that was the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

Has this been cancelled?

AFAIK it was cancelled this week (or maybe last week... the weeks keep melding into each other...) because of some Irish dancing thing going on in the Helix... maybe something else "more important" came along this week...

• Advertisement

apparently they're going to make it less regular next year, as in three or four events a semester and not every week...

Advertisement