Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

St220

Options
  • 17-03-2005 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

We'v had our st220 for just about a year now(11 months). And on coming back from the airport noticed the front left tyre is a bit flat,thought better get this changed. Went to a tyre shop got it changed (450 per tyre) so my dad said get two while hes at it(2 new front ones). Man in the shop showed us the 3inch nail that had passed thru the thread-surprised we made it on the m50 without a blowout.
    Then on tuesday we were driving passed the Goat Grill. Managed to hit a pot hole at 30ish. The REAR right tyre exploded-the entire side had torn itself to shreds. Luckily they are run flat tyres so we got it back home safely enough. We went about changing the tyre, set up the jack,got the wheel off and just as we were going to put the spare on the jack slipped an fell out. Nearly took my fingers off between the wheel and the arch. So we quickly set about putting the jack back under. Put it back under,went to get the spare wheel and the JACK COLLAPSED (BUCKLED AND TWISTED!) This managed to hurt my dad as he got caught by it. We had to wait 50mins for the AA to come with a new jack.Aa man said this is the first case of a jack breaking! He took photos and said he wud be investigating it on our behalf. Next day Ford got a nasty call from my dad, they said they'd send a technical advisor and mechanic over from england to check if there is any chassis damage and see why the jack failed.

Basically,has anyone ever had any other experiences like this?? It sounds unbelievable but once i get photos ill post them up for all to see.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I had a jack break while lifting my dad's Jag S-Type. As you can imagine, it wasn't fun trying to re-lift the lardy car to get the spare on. IIRC, he brought the jack back to the local dealers and they said owt, just replaced it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Robbo wrote:
    he brought the jack back to the local dealers and they said owt, just replaced it.

owt or nowt?

Mike.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

mike65 wrote:
    owt or nowt?

Mike.
    Nowt :)

I must brush up on my Coronation Street.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

450 per tyre
    :eek: that seems very expensive. What make / model and size are they?
    Robbo wrote:
    Nowt :)

I must brush up on my Coronation Street.. :)

LOL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

S-type jag, st220, I wouldn't be surprised if the jacks were the same type, since jag is owed by ford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fabritzo wrote:
    S-type jag, st220, I wouldn't be surprised if the jacks were the same type, since jag is owed by ford.

Different market segments all together. The Mondeo is branded as sporty family saloon, the Jag is a luxuary executive saloon. Hence the 205/60 16" in the Jag and the 225/40 18" in the Mondeo

You can get way cheaper tyres here, chicken_food. How about €167 for a Pirelli?

Edit: aargh! I misread your post to say tyres :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Run flats are expensive.

It doesn't matter if they're in different market segments. Ford do own Jaguar and it's not that unlikely that they'd use the same jack. If you compared the switch gear in the two you'd probably be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

Not saying that this happen to your Dad but main cause of scissor jack failure is the car roll or not properly secured car. Saying that, just recently head of one of the rivets popped causing jack to separate and the rest was history.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, don't be surprised if the Aston Martin DB9 has the same jack as the Ka either. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

this thread is usless without pics :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement