Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web hosting with full cgi access

Options
  • 18-04-2001 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

does anyone know how to get a web host with full cgi access for free. I'm already signed up with dsvr.co.uk but my understanding of their service is that you need a domain name which cost money.

So does anyone know of anywhere???

ta

Baz_

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

try hypermart.net
    You only get a few megs but its better than nothing.
    You get a subdomain too rather than a huge URL.

Only catch is you need a non-free email addy (plenty ways around that tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

care to expand on that one *wink*wink*.

I'm going to use my indigo one that was non free at one point so hopefully it will work.

ta for the link

Baz_

right so I was halfway through the registration when they asked for credit card details, that suggests to me a cost, fupcking baPstards said it was free right up to the last page of registration grrrrr.....

Right since I have no credit card I can't register there anyone know anywhere else that fits the criteria above.

Baz_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Soz about that, they must've changed it.
    It's really for businesses to get online for free not people messing about with CGI's

Why not install Linux and Apache? Lots of fun configuring modules and databases etc. Plus it's local you don't need to be online to test your CGI's

thats okay you are completely in the clear, and I already have a server at home for messing about but what do you do when you're finished messing, which is the stage I'm at so I want to get my stuff on the web and a part of a site, so if you have any more ideas I would be very grateful

Baz_

ps I know my grammar is terrible there but I'm not in the humour of thinking too much about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Baz_:
    does anyone know how to get a web host with full cgi access for free. I'm already signed up with dsvr.co.uk but my understanding of their service is that you need a domain name which cost money.

So does anyone know of anywhere???

ta

Baz_
    </font>

yeah there is a few around
    just can't think of them at the moment ..
    something like avenue ... which are pretty descent. I'll have a look for it.

course if you were a student in Ul for £1.50 you get unlimited webspace full cgi and mysql support on a lovely t-1 connection which no load problems what so ever :-)

back again :-)

well here are a few choices.

firstly f2s.com freedom to surf
    20meg have php and mysql support afaik

VirtualAve.net
    50megs not sure what support exactly

and then there is fortune city
    100megs

but I'd think if you really want anything seriously consider paided hosting... you can get pretty good ones for pretty cheap.

but if you're not interest in bandwidth or anything then either of those 3 should be ok

also forgot about barrysworld they support cgi's :-)

khan you da man, I went to Barrysworld and they don't even put a banner on the site, and although that might change, it's still nice to see my site on the www without any advertising thats not my own.

Great stuff ta

Baz_

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

sorry for the late reply.

I think www.brinkster.com allow full CGI. I know they allow ASP and access database storage. as well as password protected sites.

30meg space, free.

any more you have to pay for.

ASP codebank is quite tasty too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

http://www.portland.co.uk - full cgi/mysql (although mysql has to be asked for specifically). The server is a bit slow I have to admit, but its free free free

Advertisement