Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to tables??

Options
  • 17-03-2005 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Holy ****balls batman!...

I'm working on a website at the moment, and everywhere I look the layout would be best served with the use of a colspan or rowspan attribute, however this tends to wreck the overall layout in Internet Explorer, and since the core audience of the internet use IE (when will they ever learn), this means that to get around it I'm having to use nested tables. Deeply nested tables. Very deeply nested tables... but I digress.

This is making the code mighty difficult to maintain, which just doesn't sit right with me, so I'm looking for an alternative to tables, if any of you have any experience with the alternatives (and I'm assuming there is only one alternative in the shape of a div) please let me know how you got on. My brain just appears to have a block on it being possible to do things with divs that you can do with tables. My brain is about to explode with the amount of nested tables I'm using, so I'm guessing the unblocking of the block is the way to go.

Please also feel free to share your own unblocking experiences, as for me, I'm off to google to begin the unblocking, if any of you have some links to good sites to explain and even layout the process of changing from table based layouts to non-table based layouts, that would be mighty helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Baz_

Comments

Advertisement