Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

html HELP!

Options
  • 24-04-2001 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭

question1.

i have a framed webpage at the bottom of my browser, that comtains my favourite links, and e-mail logon etc.. and i want to keep it on the screen. however, some websites, have a break out of frames script that get's fir of my 'nav-bar'. is there anything i can do?

question2.
    when in college, i can't add any icons to the desktop. i can add stuff to the startbar (it's gone when i log-out). i want to put links to my favourite programs (cs and napster etc..) in this html navbar. i got these links working but it always asks me to either download the program or open it from it's location. i don't want to tick the 'don't ask me again' box, and when i do download stuff from the web, i want to be able to save it. is there any html tag or javascript that i could use to auto open the program when i click the link??

thanks for any help you can give.

- Ciaran
    smoke-me-a-kipper
    S-M-A-K bottom!!™

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

1. nope.
    2. nope.

I might be wrong about the second one, but I'm fairly sure there's not much you can do about a target="_top".

Pity, cause it's quite a good idea you've got there. I'd be happy if someone can prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I know it might slightly defeat the purpose, but you could do #1 if you make the links appear in a seperate window, as opposed to a seperate frame. Just make up a name for the window (e.g.: "NewWindow") and target that same name with every link (i.e.: target="NewWindow") - they'll all then load into the same window, which will open fresh if it's not already there. Using Javascript you could make this window jump to the top each time.

#2 you can't do with HTML, - you might be able to do it with some sort of plugin though, like PC Plus do on their magazine coverdiscs.

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

question 2: dunno if that can be done with out re-writing the browser
    not a great solution but: you could write a script/batch file that copies your links from your userspace/some other place to the desktop. just run that script when you log on.
    or
    you could write a series of scripts/bats that launch your applications and then make a webpage linking to those. then run the files from the webpage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

yeah, thanks for your help. Bard, not much help there, i want this nav-bar to be on all pages.

as to the programs, i'll just have to get used to it. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

What browser are you using? If it's IE5 put the "navbar" page into the favourites/search/history ("_search") window. Since few pages do anything with that window it's rare that something will over-write it. IIRC it's considered outside of "_top"

• Advertisement
Advertisement