Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can we demand more upload speed?

• 17-03-2005 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

128k is bad! :(

can we all email eircom or do a boycott or something to make them change 128k to at least 256k?

does anyone know someone's(who has any influence) email at eircom?

we should email them

or do a petition?

or we should ask Smart Telecom to increase their upload, and then eircom will desperately follow them too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Nah, to the general public upload speed does not matter. Although I'm all for a petition etc, a boycott will never happen. Unfortunately that is the Irish way (leave things be)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

or we should ask Smart Telecom to increase their upload, and then eircom will desperately follow them too.

desperately?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

im curious, what form exactly would a boycott on eircom take? Handing back our phone lines? A petition I will gladly sign, I'm just very sceptical that it'll make any difference whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Nah, to the general public upload speed does not matter. Although I'm all for a petition etc, a boycott will never happen. Unfortunately that is the Irish way (leave things be)

Curious considering we invented the term "boycott" but unfortunately also true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

DingChavez wrote:
    desperately?!?

yes to retain their customers, since they are losing so many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

If I'm not mistaken, the whole Irish thing of having crappy upload speeds is because of a government mandate that states that the upload speed can only be a certain percentage of that of the download speed. It's an anti peer 2 peer sharing thing, or something to that affect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

Well considering up until 6 month I had whooping 56K connection and now easter bunny says 2MB on the way I really don't care about the upload :D

Are there no packages with higher uploads for those who need? I know the bussines ones but for residential looks like all the providers given the same deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Achilles wrote:
    If I'm not mistaken, the whole Irish thing of having crappy upload speeds is because of a government mandate that states that the upload speed can only be a certain percentage of that of the download speed. It's an anti peer 2 peer sharing thing, or something to that affect.
    Thats not true.... Irish Broadband do 512 upload with 512 download. There is no law stating that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Achilles wrote:
    the whole Irish thing of having crappy upload speeds is because of a government mandate that states that the upload speed can only be a certain percentage of that of the download speed.

Its actually because of the size of the Irish governments Echelon ingress pipe recording your ack/nack packets and upload packets . Increasing upload speeds would be a breach of solemn International Treaties, ya can't have that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Echelon killed JFK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

@_@

conspiracy theories on bb that dont involve voip.

ffs, we dont have upload because not many people want it, a boycott where we pay for a service but dont use it?
    yeah, good idea........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

you guys remind of those 2 fellas from Braveheart, that sold out to the kind for a land, eircom is still overcharging and lying into your face(best starting package in europe? lol yea right), now they gave you a little push in the speed and that's it you are satisfied, you still forget that other european countries, are years ahead of Ireland, 2mb should have been given to you 2 years ago, and don't think they wanted to give you that because they wanted service to be improved in Ireland, it's because of Smart Telecom(God Bless em) that they gave you 2mb, if it wasn't for smart, we'd be on 512 for a loooong time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

That's true. Eircom will only move when someone moves in and threatens them by offering an ACTUAL broadband package. I'm also interested in what smart may be offering. All I know is that they have their 2048/128 package on offer at the moment for their launch but i'm interested in what other packages they may have in store. They may offer a package with better upload speeds and download speeds. 256 or higher is whats really needed at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

CyberGhost wrote:
    True
    CyberGhost wrote:
    can we all email eircom or do a boycott or something to make them change 128k to at least 256k?
    Yea great idea lets boycott them now and in a months time we can all sit arround and wonder what a 2Mb connection is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

If you want Eircom to increase the upload speeds then the only way they will do it is if someone else is providing better and people are switching over to that. Otherwise, why should they bother?

Eircom will never do more than they have to. If someone else says they will provide 2048/128 and it looks like they will take customers then Eircom responds. If Smart provided 2048/256 then there might be some incentive for Eircom to follow. However, upload speed has to be the deciding factor. How many entry-level new users of broadband are concerned with upload speeds? How many even know what it means?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

how many people even realise that a 2mbps downstream means very little to anyone without the upload capacity to properly utilise it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

vibe666 wrote:
    how many people even realise that a 2mbps downstream means very little to anyone without the upload capacity to properly utilise it?

Please Explain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

For example. Setting your rates in a game. In certain games one might be inclined to go the full hog on a 2mb connect, but unfortunatly choke and loss will start to occur at less than optimum rates. Add more than one player into the equation and you might aswell be sharing an ISDN connection.

Giblet wrote:
    For example. Setting your rates in a game. In certain games one might be inclined to go the full hog on a 2mb connect, but unfortunatly choke and loss will start to occur at less than optimum rates. Add more than one player into the equation and you might aswell be sharing an ISDN connection.

That wouldn't effect the majority of bb user thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Boggles wrote:
    That wouldn't effect the majority of bb user thou.
    Ok then consider this, on a HTTP transfer each downloaded packet has to be confirmed by an uploaded one. Thats all files. Downloads, webpages, images, etc.

Mind you, this isn't really a problem with protocols like BitTorrent (which use a UDP transfer method).

• Advertisement

Ok then consider this, on a HTTP transfer each downloaded packet has to be confirmed by an uploaded one. Thats all files. Downloads, webpages, images, etc.

Mind you, this isn't really a problem with protocols like BitTorrent (which use a UDP transfer method).

But would that not be a small percentage compared to download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It would, but a faster upload would make the faster download more efficient, the proposed way there will still be (comparatively) a lot of dead time.

It would, but a faster upload would make the faster download more efficient, the proposed way there will still be (comparatively) a lot of dead time.

You should still see a huge increase, right??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

128K upload will not effect a HTTP session. A maximum sized TCP data packet is about 37 times as big as a TCP ACK packet. If you're download speed was 40 times your upload, you would be restricted slighly by your upload alright. But that's not the case with 2048/128.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Well it ruins counterstrike for me, when someone press a link my connection stutters. I had a 512/512 connection and this was never an issue. Seriously, 128 is ridiculous.

It certainly is for gaming alright, and a number of other activities. But the majority or Irish users see the Internet as just WWW. Upload doesn't really matter at all in this case.

2048/128 suits the majority of people. Most, including myself, would rather that than something like 1024/512. But if Eircom had more sense then they'd also be offering a low latency 1024/512 package aimed at gamers and other niche groups. Proactive initiatives aren't exactly their strong suit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

MrPinK wrote:
    2048/128 suits the majority of people. Most, including myself, would rather that than something like 1024/512. But if Eircom had more sense then they'd also be offering a low latency 1024/512 package aimed at gamers and other niche groups. Proactive initiatives aren't exactly their strong suit though.

That's true. Online gaming is being trumped by the console and PC games producers as the future of gaming but there won't be much chance of it getting very far if (besides having the difficulty of getting a credit card) there aren't decent upload capabilities on internet packages. I'd say that gamers would be happy enough to pay 50 quid a month for a 1MB connection if the upload was 512k. At least there wouldn't be the problem of the line chocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

MrPinK wrote:
    But the majority or Irish users see the Internet as just WWW. Upload doesn't really matter at all in this case.
    what sort of websites are you visiting exactly? how on earth does anyone using the internet for WWW traffic need a 2mbps connection?

anyone doing that would be more than happy with 1mbps/128kbps.

Anyone who wants or feels the need for a 2mbps connection wants it for one of two or three things.

gaming, downloads or advanced communications (voice or video over IP etc.) and in any of those situations a 128kbps upload is going to choke whatever connection they are trying to make.

as has been said more than once before, I'd much rather have a 1024/256 conneciton than 2048/128 because it would be of a lot more practical use.

vibe666 wrote:
    what sort of websites are you visiting exactly? how on earth does anyone using the internet for WWW traffic need a 2mbps connection?

anyone doing that would be more than happy with 1mbps/128kbps.
    Well HTTP would have been more accurate than WWW. I ment web browsing and downloading. However there are plenty of sites with a high amount of multimedia content that are pretty slow to load on 512k. Take for example http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swrepubliccommando/. These kind of sites are getting more and more common. If you have the bandwidth, there will always be sites to take advantage of it.

And I'd agree with VoIP, video and gaming, but I don't see how you can include downloading in that list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

CyberGhost wrote:

does anyone know someone's(who has any influence) email at eircom?

we should email them

or do a petition?

Smart won't offer a higher upload speed because people will be too tempted to use the extra capacity for VoIP. Let us not forget that smart are also offering PSTN service on your newly unbundled line.

Darragh

Advertisement