Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can we demand more upload speed?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Why do you guys keep saying things like eircom wont do anything unless someone else makes them or unless they are loosing customers and they would have us all sitting at home with a 56k if they had their way. What exactly do you think eircom is ? its not a charity its a company a company with shareholders who want profits. Europe is so far ahead not because dutch and french etc companies said id bet our customers would like cheaper bills, no some company in an open market said i know how we can rob customers from x-com well do bradband before them. We had a closed market until recent times where there was no demand by the population as the need was not there at the time so it had to be built when customers started demanding it and the market opened up.

Again the reason they dont and wont anytime soon give faster upload speeds is cause there really is no need for the general public. 128 up is enough to play games and make a voip call, what they want to stop is a small company (their biggest clients besides homes) getting rid of phone lines and getting basic bb packages to make voip. Or a company telling them to stuff their leased lines and servers cause they can host their own sites on bb for 50euro instead of 10k. They will hold onto every last cent they can till they have no choice then give in and that is exactly how it should be because they are a company, not evil just a company who wants profits. No ammount of protests from people who say they want it for gaming is going to convince them you dont just want to use it for file sharing which you do because if its such a big problem they offer a package with 256 if your willing to pay for it.

Oh and a 128upload speed is not going to screw you up for downloads not unless your on bittorent because the the ammount of upload speed is more than enough for standard download at 2mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

MrPinK wrote:
    It certainly is for gaming alright, and a number of other activities. But the majority or Irish users see the Internet as just WWW. Upload doesn't really matter at all in this case.

thats a bit of a crazy statment
    do you not think most people that have the internet in ireland use email?
    im sure loads of people are disapointed by how long it takes to send a few pictures or videos to a friend by email

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Smart won't offer a higher upload speed because people will be too tempted to use the extra capacity for VoIP. Let us not forget that smart are also offering PSTN service on your newly unbundled line.

Darragh

I don't know why they don't just offer their OWN VoIP service. It would probably help them in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

tuxy wrote:
    thats a bit of a crazy statment
    do you not think most people that have the internet in ireland use email?
    im sure loads of people are disapointed by how long it takes to send a few pictures or videos to a friend by email

Even if it took an hour to send a few e-mails, it's no big deal, it can be sending away in the background.Whats an hour in fairness. But if your downloading a large file that usually takes 16 hours and with the new bandwith will only take 4, this is where to the majority of users, a higher download bandwith is the winner. Eircom could market specific packages at gamers,voip users, etc. But as been said in the thread already the majority use http,torrents and p2p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,199 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Boggles wrote:
    But would that not be a small percentage compared to download.
    You need about your upload to be about 6% of your download
    Smarts offering is 6.5%.
    But what if you want to do something crazy like upload AND download at the same time :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

leap (www.leap.ie) now sell 1 and 2mbit SDSL meaning you have a synchronous connection (i.e. same speed up and down) Their prices are also very competitive and contention of 15:1 is great too.
    People just moan and whinge about eircom but there is competition in the market now. If youre not happy with them try someone else. The scary part is that most people that move away from eircom for any service move back within a year so they cant be that bad can they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Even if it took an hour to send a few e-mails, it's no big deal, it can be sending away in the background. Whats an hour in fairness.
    if your downloading a large file that usually takes 16 hours and with the new bandwith will only take 4.

Well, whats 12 hours in fairness :p Its kind of contradictory saying it doesn't matter how slow your emails send, and yet proclaiming that faster speeds are better.

I'm sure there are people out there (like me for instance) who use bittorrent (just for an easy and legal example) in sites such as somesite and thingyplace.

Now, someplace tracks your upload/download to make sure you're not one of those leeching scumbags. If i only have 128kbps up it will take quite a long time for me to reach a 1:1 ratio on any torrent, and so my ability to download from there gets restricted. Also, if i want to upload at a decent rate, i'll have to limit my download speed severely, so as not to choke the upload.

In situations such as this, at least 512kbps up should be availabe to the user, when you have 2 meg down. But thats not happening. Also, supposing i want to download a file while using VOIP, i once again have to severly limit my download speed so as not to choke my upload, as i only have 128kbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Sending any kinda of big attachment via email etc is like watching paint dry with 128 up. Gaming on more than one pc is virtually impossible with 128. Using video conferencing software (web cams) is a horrible experience with 128. Gaming / browsing together is impossible on 128. Downloading / gaming together is impossible on 128. 12k/b per second? That's not broadband! I used to get 14k/b per second on my old dual channel isdn connection! ComReg should define broadband as 1024x256 at the very minimum.

Mutant I'd remove those links from your post :)

Also I believe Leap haven't actually unbundled any exchanges yet, so they can't provide any services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

In situations such as this, at least 512kbps up should be availabe to the user, when you have 2 meg down. But thats not happening. Also, supposing i want to download a file while using VOIP, i once again have to severly limit my download speed so as not to choke my upload, as i only have 128kbps.
    If there's a) demand for this and b) someone else offering it, then Eircom are pretty much forced to offer a competitive service. We have seen this with the download speed. Smart offer a 2 meg download and Eircom then respond with their own. When Smart or some other company offer 512k or above and it looks like people are choosing them over Eircom then Eircom will naturally respond.

The SDSL example from Leap mentioned above is probably too expensive to have an impact on Eircom's residential offerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well, whats 12 hours in fairness :p Its kind of contradictory saying it doesn't matter how slow your emails send, and yet proclaiming that faster speeds are better.

I don't think many people would send a 700 meg e-mail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

dkane wrote:
    The scary part is that most people that move away from eircom for any service move back within a year so they cant be that bad can they?

Yes! I'm one of the survivors

2048/512 would be perfect, if we had that kind of service, I'd say there is nothing wrong with Irish broadband, and would take off my clothes and run naked on the O'Connell

yes, there would be a matter of caps, but it's not that big of a matter compared to proper up/down speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

CyberGhost wrote:
    2048/512 would be perfect, if we had that kind of service, I'd say there is nothing wrong with Irish broadband, and would take off my clothes and run naked on the O'Connell

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

Leaps basic SDSL package is €89 ex vat per month for a 1mbit up/1mbit down line with 15:1 contention. The same as eircoms business plus (currently 256 up/1mbit down) You also get a static IP which costs €70 with Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Not that I'm planning to pay €90 for a 1Mbps service in a hurry, but does anyone know what Leap's SDSL coverage is like? I can't find anything on the site that mentions which exchanges they've unbundled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

CyberGhost wrote:
    Yes! I'm one of the survivors

yes, there would be a matter of caps, but it's not that big of a matter compared to proper up/down speeds

Doesn't look like things will improve anytime soon.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/21/ireland_broadband/

Ain't eircom's response to our BB need just wonderful. :rolleyes:

Advertisement