Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf TDI Problem

Options
  • 18-03-2005 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Howdy... After some advice from this thread I bought a Golf in the end, 1999 1.9 TDI (the lower horse power model) with 100,000km on the clock. It's going grand, a big step from a yaris... I have one problem though, and being 'car mechanics' retarded, need a little advice...

When I'm doing about 140-180 km/h, the acceleration of the car seems to be acting up a bit. I would have my foot on the accelerator, applying constant pressure, and the car would accelerate/stay at the same speed (when going full belt) for about 2 or 3 seconds, then would stop accelerating/slow down a small bit, for 2 or 3 seconds, and then accelerate again.

The result is a slight chugging motion... I know I'm a total diesel newbie but this behaviour can't be right. I tried looking uo tdi specific forums but all posts were unbelievably technical...

Any suggestions as to what could be wrong will be greatly appreciated. I'd like to have an idea before I wander into a garage and get fleeced. The car has a 1 year guarantee from the garage so hopefully they'd cover it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Ahh but surely you wouldn't be driving at 140-180 as the top speed you're allowed is 120?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

No speed limits on the autobahns, only recommendations ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

There's me thinking you were in Ireland.

apologies, should have stated that I'm in Germany, hence the high speeds on the way to work...

any suggestions anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I might be inclined to check the fuel supply line is free flowing, new filter, etc. after that I might check the operations of the turbo and any tubing relating to it.

What other features does this vehicle have, O2 sensor, EGR, pressure relieving devices, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

sounds like a dodgy fuel pump, are you sure this isn't a characteristic of pump duse technology, and that you're not actually bouncing off the 2000rpm rev limiter :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Its your mass air flow meter i reckon a known weak spot on all turbo diesel vw's.
    Simple fix really.

Thanks for the replies lads, appreciate it...
    Its your mass air flow meter i reckon a known weak spot on all turbo diesel vw's.
    I'm not going to ask you to explain the process but if you have any links, etc, i'd greatly appreciate it... I bought the VW servicing guide off ebay on cd but it's pretty hard going...
    sounds like a dodgy fuel pump, are you sure this isn't a characteristic of pump duse technology, and that you're not actually bouncing off the 2000rpm rev limiter
    I haven't a clue to tell you the truth...
    I might be inclined to check the fuel supply line is free flowing, new filter, etc. after that I might check the operations of the turbo and any tubing relating to it.
    It was serviced before buying it and tuv'd (nct'd) also so I would presume this should all be ok, the tests are pretty strict here... I don't know the exact extra features, it's the 1999 Golf 4 Highline model...

Thanks again for all the suggestions/help

Advertisement