Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

last nights freeroll

Options
  • 18-03-2005 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

I got knocked out some time after 11pm.

How many tickets were there in the end? any boards people win one?

Rustyspoon, ionapaul how did ye do?

Here's a quick summary of my night -

I was at table2, some guy called nick i think was going all-in all night. I called him on the 3rd hand and made my straight to double up. A few hands later I flopped a king-high flush and re-raised all-in. The guy who called me had an Ah so was on a flush draw. He picked up a Qh on the river to make a big dent on my chips.
    A few hands later I went all-in caught my straight with a few callers so i was back in the game.

That was about it until the break, got a top-up. Continued to get bad cards, picked up one or two small pots. Eventually went all-in with pocket 6s, didnt make anything out of it. Didnt bother to hang around, hopped into the car and was home by 11:30.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Well, I had been drinking all day so was fairly shattered at that stage - not really drunk as much as tired and exhasted. That said, I bought in twice before the break but after a bit of a bad beat (I was UTG and went all-in on AQo, guy beside me who was bit of a rock I thought did the same saying 'I have a hand, have to do it', then turns over KJo and gets his K on the turn) decided to call it a night, play 20 minutes blackjack and head home. I know we both wanted to emulate Rory and win tickets two weeks in a row! Crowd seemed much smaller, perhaps because of the day that was in it - hit the funfair on Merrion Square before the Fitz, lots of 17 year old drunks looking for trouble. But the bumper cars were fun :)

Em... Why does every one go all in so much on free rolls? If the aim of the game in a tourney is survival... Why chance it at such an early stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

i suppose its because its free to enter and you can buy back in for 10euro. For the first hour or so I'd say there was 1 or 2 people all-in every hand at my table.

Does it not really bother you though? It's not quite the way game is played! It might work for some mentalists though!!

Thursday's freeroll is not quite how the game is played! People limp with anything, call with anything, and go all-in with everything. As a result, there are always some monster stacks (4 or 5 x starting chips) within a few minutes of starting and you are playing catch-up. Also, the amount of chips you start with is low, so within a level or two if you haven't won a hand you are getting to mandatory all-in stage anyway!

Good craic, though :)

• Advertisement

A-ha...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Papa Hoff wrote:
    Em... Why does every one go all in so much on free rolls? If the aim of the game in a tourney is survival... Why chance it at such an early stage?

If your aim in tourneys is survival then you have serious problems.

yeah its good craic alright, also its extra nice when if get the nuts and there are a few all-ins ahead of you..
    If you get some decent cards you can get lots of action....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

there were 4 full tickets and 5th got 150 credit.
    On the final table 6th and 7th were knocked out by 56s, they had A10 and AKs. They were shocked to say the least. :)

4 tickets was good considering the size of the crowd...

There was a guy who joined table 2 very very late, just before the break id say. i think he works there. Not sure who he was, or if he is on boards, I'm sure marq will know who I'm talking about.

He went all-in on his first two hands and won them. He took down a few more pots after the break and took me out as well. Just curious as to how he done, he seemed to be getting great cards and playing them well.....

• Advertisement

Would've liked to have been there to see that...I had never experienced a prize structure like that before and found it very interesting, all the big stacks playing against the few remaining small stacks and ignoring each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

Two in a row would have been great podge Hard Luck. Good to finally meet a boardsie.

It was my first time visiting the fitz, the crowd seemed small and a bit quiet i take it it is normally a bit busier/louder?

Was table 1 seat 1 - due to my earlier than anticipated arrival.
    Only won two pots all night- early on hit two pair after limping with 89o flop comes Q89 bet all in and everyone folded,and i can't remember the other one. Didn't see one pocket pair or anything resembling a hand to run with all night. Just before rebuy i hit my best hole cards of the night AKd, went all in, flop comes all hearts no diamonds kings or aces. Rebuy then a small pot win takes me to the break where i top up. Same story after the break, no cards, getting blinded away play blind all in for 2 X BB turned up first card to see a K turned up second card to see a 2 - story of the night. Hit nothing went out.

Finished about 11:30 played roulette for a few mins and got my top up and rebuy cash back and was home by 12:30 (new motorway makes it easy)

Am going to try and make a few more of the tourneys as i quite enjoyed it. Anyway hopefully with all those bad cards last night i will get hit repeatedly with the deck in the kildare tourney tonight (i'm already up $100 this morn on pstars :) ).

Is next thursday a freeroll?

yeah I assume next thursday is the freeroll then the following thursday the 31st will be the 250game. I'm hoping to head along again next thursday..... hopefully i'll have better luck next week.

100$ is not bad for a mornings work :)

best of luck in kildare.

It should be. Its not the last thursday of the month if thats what you were thinking and even then the freeroll is still on, it just starts earlier. about 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭CoD

off topic but is co. kildare and more specifically Leixlip easy to find? I am driving there from Belfast and the directions online seem poor

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

CoD wrote:
    off topic but is co. kildare and more specifically Leixlip easy to find? I am driving there from Belfast and the directions online seem poor

cheers

If on messenger PM address and will give you directions

try putting the address in this route planner

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

If your aim in tourneys is survival then you have serious problems.

i find being the sole survivor works quite well actually :p

think Smut was just wondering why people throw them in in marginal situations. most of the aggressive/insane players see the rebuy period as the time to double up, regardless of how they do it. is a sound strategy if you're willing to spend a chunk of the cash value of a ticket to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

podgeen wrote:

There was a guy who joined table 2 very very late, just before the break id say. i think he works there. Not sure who he was, or if he is on boards, I'm sure marq will know who I'm talking about.

He went all-in on his first two hands and won them. He took down a few more pots after the break and took me out as well. Just curious as to how he done, he seemed to be getting great cards and playing them well.....

heh, yah that was me, i made the final table short stacked and went out the very first hand of it :)

ticket would of been nice, save me a couple of quid instead of paying for it. ah sure there's always next thursday.

podgeen wrote:
    4 tickets was good considering the size of the crowd...

Nah, you're mistaken. He's just a waif and a stray who plays sh1te cards such as JT and his favourite Q9.

Do not feed him or encourage him to speak.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

there were 4 full tickets and 5th got 150 credit. On the final table 6th and 7th were knocked out by 56s, they had A10 and AKs. They were shocked to say the least.

Yep got one again this month. Nice. Went out for a quick cig and came to find Madeleine had knocked out 2. Justa matter of time then before the short stack was finished.
    Was a weird night with that combo of manic rebuyers and crazy callers.

I was so happy when Madeline took out those 2 other short stacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I was so happy when Madeline took out those 2 other short stacks.

Did Madeline win a ticket?

She was the bane of my tournie...

Called my allin with AJ, then rivered a 10 to make the straight against my trip 8s - and then failed to realise that she had won...I had to hand back the pot. :mad:

yeah she did. with 7 people left there were three short stacks left including myself. I had just quadrupled my 2 1/2 times the BB stack when my pocket 3's tripped up on the river, then the 2 other short stacks go all in a few hands later and she takes them out and I get the 150 for 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

MadsL wrote:
    Called my allin with AJ, then rivered a 10 to make the straight against my trip 8s - and then failed to realise that she had won...I had to hand back the pot. :mad:

Spare a thought for the two poor boys all-in with ace king and ace ten, whom she knocks out calling half her tank with 56s

MadsL wrote:
    Did Madeline win a ticket?

She was the bane of my tournie...

now i know who madsl and madeline are......

podgeen wrote:
    now i know who madsl and madeline are......

I was at the final table too.

Boardstastic!

Advertisement