Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK so... how exactly do i move from Eircom to Smart?

• 18-03-2005 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

As the title says, i am very interested in moving my phone and broadband to smart. But after reading the fine print for both eircom and smart, it looks like it could take up to 28 days to make the switchover.

So my questions are thus.......
    1) How quickly can i get eircom and smart to do the switch (and also how much downtime)?
    2) What is required from me to make the switch?
    3) Do i keep my phone number? Edit:- 3.5) will my number be kept ex-directory?
    4) Since eircom will charge you a whole month if you're 1 day into the next payment period for broadband(it's in the fine print), which time is the best to change?

Unrelated questions
    5) anybody know when the BELCAMP exchange will be unbundled?
    6) is there anyother way of paying smart other than Direct debit?
    7) why won't my hangover go away?

Thanks all for your time.

Nate

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

All I know is taht you contact smart and they'll do everything regarding the chage over. You will be able to keep your old number and unless your getting the package from smart so that you pay them the line rental, you'll still recieve bills from Eircom for that. One thing you might have to do is put a code before every number before you dial it but this is only for a short time while they are changing you over - mayby those 28 days , thats all I know... and smart move :o

Oh and this may help too - www.hungover.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

7) why won't my hangover go away?

You hit the bottle too hard yesterday like everyone else.

And this whole 28 days of downtime is making me not wantto move. That's a very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Smart will take your line rental away from Eircom too, you won't be billed by Eircom again once the changeover has happened. You'll get a partial bill if the changeover happens midway through a billing cycle of course.

You can pay whatever way you're paying at the moment (DD, Post Office etc).

If you have broadband from Eircom already, Smart will bill you for that and pay Eircom on your behalf just like the line rental, as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

28 days...you wish.
    I cancelled with Eircom in the last week of Dec and I am still waiting for to be connected to UTV. The problem lies with Eircom in that they are not allowing UTV to take me on. BA$TARD$
    First thing you need to do is get a cancellation ref # from eircom and give it to Smart ASAP. After that, sit & wait. Hope u have better luck than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Lex Luthor wrote:
    28 days...you wish.
    I cancelled with Eircom in the last week of Dec and I am still waiting for to be connected to UTV. The problem lies with Eircom in that they are not allowing UTV to take me on. BA$TARD$
    First thing you need to do is get a cancellation ref # from eircom and give it to Smart ASAP. After that, sit & wait. Hope u have better luck than me.

I'm with Digiweb and will be moving to smart. I've already told them I'll be cancelling and have recieved acknowledgment from them. Will I have the same problem as Eircom own the line? Could it be worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Because smart are using adsl2, will exsisting adsl broadband modems work?
    Im just after buying a DLINK - DSL-G604T and im gonna be annoyed if it doesnt work with smartelecom. I really hope your joking about this 28 days downtime? I cant be without BB for more than a few days? (work) I think id just stay with eircom till they get the transfer time down to a day or 2?

Sean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

A day or 2 transfer...????!!!!

That day will probable come in 2010 if your lucky!!!

ADSL modems are not compatible with ADSL2 exchanges..sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Transfer times should be down to less than a week I would suspect (maybe less than a day, I don't know the specifics of what will hopefully be implemented) once eircom are forced to implement automatic systems for LLU deployment. That's what causes all the delays at the moment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

4) Since eircom will charge you a whole month if you're 1 day into the next payment period for broadband(it's in the fine print), which time is the best to change?..........

Nate

that's not strictly true. Once you complete you first 12 month contract you have a rolling month's contract with your isp. Which means that they have to be given a month's notice of your intention to quit and thats irrespective of any other problems which may arise from switching. Make sure Smart are definitely ready for you before you contemplate doing anything!
    Because smart are using adsl2, will exsisting adsl broadband modems work?
    Im just after buying a DLINK - DSL-G604T and im gonna be annoyed if it doesnt work with smartelecom.

the only adsl2 ready gear at the moment seems to be linksys. Netgear have said they they are working in upgrading their software at the moment so it is reasonable to expect DLink to do the same. Why not email their support and ask them about their intentions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Check if DLink are giving our beta firmware. As I know netgear offer beta firmware with some adsl2 support.

• Advertisement

TimTim wrote:
    Check if DLink are giving our beta firmware. As I know netgear offer beta firmware with some adsl2 support.

Although seeing as he doesnt actuallly need it at the moment probably better off not messing with beta firmware if things are working ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

In case you are interested, this is the email i recived from Smart, for the above questions.......................................

Nate.

Dear Stephen,
    Thank you for your Smart Broadband enquiry.

1) As we draw closer to the time when your exchange is unbundled we will be able to give you more precise time-scales. Once a line test is carried out to ensure that it is of a suitable quality and contracts have been signed, it will take approximately 10 days to go live. There will be an approximate downtime of 1 hour, but we will contact you to give you the exact time this will occur.

2) The Smart Telecom Broadband offer is a bundled offer including Broadband, Phone Calls and Line Rental. Once the Broadband service is in place your broadband, call and line rental charges (if they apply) will automatically transfer to Smart Telecom.

3) Yes you can keep your existing number and request for it to be kept ex-directory.

4) You will need to contact your current provider regarding termination of your current contract.

5) The Belcamp exchange is due to go live in March/April. Please register online at www.smarttelecom.ie and we will keep you informed as to when this exchange will go live.

6) Payment for Smart Broadband must be by direct debit however this can be organised via your bank or credit card. Also, some credit unions provide a direct debit service.

7) DITTO

Regards,

Heidi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Smart's DSLAM's are ADSL compatible, though. I would doubt that it makes much difference between ADSL2+ and ADSL at pityful speeds like 2Mbps. You can always try your existing router and if it works, all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

On the DLINK website it say's it will release ADSL2 firmware in the next few weeks.

Sean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I told the boss about Smart and we have signed up and are waiting for Smart to come online (March/April) estimated time. But in the meantime what happens if we sign up to Eircoms 2 month deal? Will this mess up the transfer to Smart when / if it happens?

Thanks in advance

I told the boss about Smart and we have signed up and are waiting for Smart to come online (March/April) estimated time. But in the meantime what happens if we sign up to Eircoms 2 month deal? Will this mess up the transfer to Smart when / if it happens?

Thanks in advance

If you are sure Smart will come on line for you when they say and you can do without BB for that time it would certainly be simpler. There is no arrangement in place for switching at the moment so it is impossible for anyone to say how it will all work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I might just tell the boss to do that. Some of the Eircom stories on here are bloody scary!

Advertisement