Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should parents...

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I have a suggestion- not exactly a novel suggestion- but what the hell.

While a lot of the problems associated with the various brands of antisocial behaviour can be attributed to poor parenting- purely punishing the parents will not solve the problems as pointed out.

I'd suggest compulsary parenting classes for all new parents, with checkups for those considered to be "at risk". Tie social welfare benefits (of all descriptions) into satisfactory attendance at these courses.

Its in no-ones interests to lock up parents for the misdeeds of their off-spring. Possible methods of punishment could be an extension of the social orders, whereby community service would be extended to both parents and the children, without necessarily creating a criminal record.

Of course there are cases where this is simply a pipe-dream- for the worse offendors, or those who have committed criminal acts of either a certain nature, or repeat offendors- something along the lines of the American army bootcamps could be prescribed for children- whereby they would be transported en-mass to the Curragh- made attend daily classes, perhaps taught a profession (plumbing/electrics etc), wear uniforms, have minimal privileges, live in a dormitory and have minimum contact with the outside world apart from as earned on a privilege basis. Maybe it sounds like a prison camp? Perhaps- but it just might rehabilitate those who are considered lost causes. As a reward- or something to strive towards- those who progress most in the "school" could be offered recruitment into the armed services and given an alternate profession to that available to them on the streets.

Unfortunately- the system as it stands is not working. There are far too many "do gooders" willing to stick their necks out and make life easy for offendors- when in actual fact the easy sentences they prescribe only lead to worse future behaviour.

Its a great pity that no-one seems to have the balls to put some sort of a proactive scheme in place, which would serve such dual needs as the one suggested above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Just finished reading this book on crime in Ireland. Its just out and called 'Minor Offences, Ireland's Cradle of Crime' by a guy called Tom Tuite.
    Unusually it focuses on juvenile crime and shows where the crims start out. A real glimpse at the darker side of Irish youth and good page turner to boot. Hope that's of use to you. Here's a useful link with more info.
    http://www.gillmacmillan.ie/Ecom/Library3.nsf/CatalogByCategory/D8AF394F9C16B1D48025726D004722E5?OpenDocument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yes, absof*ckinglutely! There's way too many examples of kids out causing trouble and then when someone complains the parents say "sure what can I do about it!" or somethin like that. Well it's not good enough.

If they were slapped with a fine every time their little scummy kid smashed a window, then they'd soon learn to instil discipline in them. At the moment it's "out of sight is out of mind". Once they're not being bothered, that's all that matters.

I appreciate that it's difficult to raise a child, and the difficulty is augmented when it's a lone parent, and they should be helped as much as possible, but that doesn't mean others should suffer because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Well I dont know about fining parents but I would ensure a few things.

If a teenager Damages property , The cost to the owner must be re-paid even the state so if you wreck a car your in debt for it for life till you pay it back. If you break a bus shelter you will have whats called a tax burden on you till its done.

Basically if you cause damage your future earnings are trimmed with part going to your debt. If you are on the dole then that is trimmed going to your debt.

If Your parents do not control you then any child tax benefits / extra dole for having the child is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Yes they should, maybe then they would put some manners on there little brats and we'd have a few less underage scumbags walking the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

simu wrote:
    That's what insurance is for! Twould be the same in case of a natural disaster. Maybe it's not a perfect solution but as I said before, I don't think it's fair to blame parents for their children's deeds unless it can be proven that they have failed as parents somehow. What if, despite all your best efforts, one of your kids turns out to be a monster - should you be put into enormous debts (buildings don't come cheap) because of this?
    So if I can only afford TPO (Third Party Only) insurance on my car and Little Johnny Scumbag torches it - tough tofu on me?

That may be the situation at present, but it's not a desirable one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

smccarrick wrote:
    I'd suggest compulsary parenting classes for all new parents, with checkups for those considered to be "at risk". Tie social welfare benefits (of all descriptions) into satisfactory attendance at these courses.

Looking at the way some parents act (or respond when told that their little darling is a scumbag who's out on the streets throwing rocks or scraping cars while they're in the pub or elsewhere) I've got a better idea.....

Instead of making the parenting classes compulsory, how about making condoms and the pill compulsory for would-be parents like this ?

That's not as right-wing as it seems, BTW - I'd consider myself reasonably level-headed, good with kids (a good few nieces and nephews with whom I get on well) and fairly thoughtful and responsible, but I still don't think I am in a position to have a kid because of my work and lifestyle.

So if I - as someone who would have the right intentions but wouldn't have the time/energy/mentality to have one - can't have one, why the hell should someone who can't even be arsed having the right intentions ?

Parenthood shouldn't be a "right" - people should have to earn it and prove themselves capable. An average person driving a car does a lot less damage to society than one scummy kid, and you have to take a test before you can drive a car.....

P.S. Insurance should be for accidents; things done on purpose are the responsibility of the do-er, and the victim should not be out of pocket either directly or through the loss of a no-claims bonus.

Advertisement