Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales -v- Ireland preview comments

• 18-03-2005 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

It going to be a tough game, probably a high-scoring one as well, but I think the lads have enough bouncebackability to extend Irelands winning streak since 1983.

Shane Horgan is the biggest loss I think, hope he's fit in time for Leinster - Leicster Sat fortnight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think my money is going on Wales - they seem to handle the "favourite" tag much better than we do, and they have the momentum. Unlike us, they have played well in every game this season, whereas we have been flattered by our opponents in the games we won.

Though, as I said in a different thread, I don't think the Welsh pack will present the same problems that the French pack did, so maybe we will have a better platform to work with

PlanetRugby have France t win by 45 points :eek:
    If they do this, and we beat Wales by the 13 points, I presume this means France would take the championship?
    Shane Horgan is the biggest loss I think,

Totally agree - would have loved to see him use that little mullet boy as a speed bump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

eoin_s wrote:
    ...whereas we have been flattered by our opponents in the games we won.

you gotta admit tho that England and France gifted Wales those games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

eoin_s wrote:
    PlanetRugby have France t win by 45 points :eek:
    If they do this, and we beat Wales by the 13 points, I presume this means France would take the championship?

Yeah if ourtselves and France win by the required margins, we'll end up second and Wales will be third, France will be champions based on their defeat of Ireland

you gotta admit tho that England and France gifted Wales those games

Yeah, I suppose there is an element of that alright - fingers crossed for tomorrow, but I still have to go with Wales :(

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

I think we've got to be confident tomorrow. Our game is based on control. Wales have not played a team yet with the level of control that O'Gara and the forwards can inflict on a game (if they play well).
    O'Gara, the lineout and our driving maul can win it for us tomorrow.

Against England, Wales were playing agains a light-weight midfield and dodgy outhalf, but very good defence. They had an enormous amount of possession but still needed a late penalty to win.

Against France they played against a better team with a good midfield a outhalf for the first half but the French tried to play champagne rugby in the 2nd.

I think ireland have the formula to beat Wales tomorrow. We have a good pack (lineout and scrum), good solid midfield, good controlling outhalf.

We need to weather the first half storm, impose our game on them (ala France against us) and play for the full 80 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If Ireland win by 13 points..they win the 6N. Wheter we can do that or not is a totally differnt question.

DubGuy22 wrote:
    If Ireland win by 13 points..they win the 6N. Wheter we can do that or not is a totally differnt question.

I think that is unless France open an almighty can of whoop-ass on the Italians, which they are well capable of doing.

colster wrote:
    I think ireland have the formula to beat Wales tomorrow. We have a good pack (lineout and scrum), good solid midfield, good controlling outhalf.

Yeah I think that our backs are a stronger unit than the Welsh, not taking anything away from the Welsh backs (cause they are a great attacking unit), but I think that Henson will see what it takes to be the world’s best centre when he faces BOD. I know he's been the pin-up boy since the English game, but his decision making with the ball in hand needs a lot of work, I’ve seen him kicking for position at least three times in the competition when he has a 3 on 2 outside him. It’s the composure under pressure and with the ball in hand that makes the Irish backs marginally stronger, esp in defence. Hopefully it will be a good, exciting close game, but with the Green showing the class in the second half to pull away and win by 14pts!!!

anyone know how to do a poll for the result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

daveirl wrote:

Remember what happened in Landsdowne Road last year.
    The game plan is to keep the ball away from their backline. Mix keeping possession and kicking for territory. Attack their lineout. Use the Maul. Keep them on the back foot for most of the day and we'll win.

daveirl wrote:

Any other game I might agree with you on that one Dave, but I don't know if Horan could cope with the size of the Welsh "hair bear" props. Like him or not, I think Reggie still has more grunt in the scrum, although Horan is a far far better open game player.

There is another aspect to this game. Wales have played well this season but most of the games have been in a no lose situation. Tomorrow won't be like that. There is a huge amount of expectation.
    Ireland have the capabillity to frustrate Wales's style and game plan. I don't think Wales can succeed in any other way.
    They're style leaves little margin for error. All it takes is one loose pass and there could be a break away try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

eoin_s wrote:
    Any other game I might agree with you on that one Dave, but I don't know if Horan could cope with the size of the Welsh "hair bair" props. Like him or not, I think Reggie still has more grunt in the scrum, although Horan is a far far better open game player.
    Horan has played against them twice already in the version of Ospreys and came out the better. Corrigan is too slow around the field while bein descent in the scrum but thats just not what a prop is meant to do.

Nukem wrote:
    Horan has played against them twice already in the version of Ospreys and came out the better. Corrigan is too slow around the field while bein descent in the scrum but thats just not what a prop is meant to do.

Fair point Nukem. Hopefully EOS will be willing to make the changes sooner in this match if things are not going to plan.

If you recall the game versus the 'Boks Horan came on and got schooled in the scrum, he may be a better open game player, but I think Eddie is giving the likes of Corrigan, Foley et al the nod with all they've given to the jersey. This could be the last campaign for the likes of these guys - look at Victor Costello - and they always repaid his faith in spades. COME ON IRELAND!!

Nukem wrote:

The thing is, i don't think that Ireland are going to play a loose game. They are goiong to try and make it a forward war. If we play a loose game we are playing into Wales hands. We want to keep the pace down. Thats why Corrigan is right for this game.
    Horan will get his run out late on though.

eoin_s wrote:
    Fair point Nukem. Hopefully EOS will be willing to make the changes sooner in this match if things are not going to plan.

Ditto, there is an argument for Miller being introduced earlier against Les Bleus last week, so any problems and he'll hopefully give the replacements more time to make an impact. Ten minutes isnt enough time to turn things around

bruachain wrote:
    Ditto, there is an argument for Miller being introduced earlier against Les Bleus last week, so any problems and he'll hopefully give the replacements more time to make an impact. Ten minutes isnt enough time to turn things around

My thoughts exactly (though not going to get involved with the whole backrow debate - seems to be a well trodden path on this forum :D )

At last - PlanetRugby.com predictions for the weekend:

Ireland v Wales the article
    Prediction: Honours shared - sort of. Ireland to win the game, but Wales to claim the Six Nations title.
    Planet Rugby prediction: Ireland by 4 points.
    sportingodds.com prediction: Wales by 5 points.

England v Scotland the article
    Prediction: England to batter down a weaker pack and run in a few tries
    planetrugby.com prediction: England to win by more than 10 points.
    SportingOdds.com prediction: England to win by 24 points

France v Italy the article
    Prediction: France to produce a vintage with eye-watering bouquet and nutty overtones
    planetrugby prediction: France by 45 points
    Sportingodds.com prediction: France by 26 points

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

If any of you have some spare cash lying around, paddypower are giving some pretty good odds on Ireland and France. They are giving Ireland 5-1 to win the championship and France at 18-1 to win it. I've thown a tenner on Ireland and a fiver on France. It could easily happen that we beat wales but not by the required 13 points and France open up a can on Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

eoin_s wrote:
    At last - PlanetRugby.com predictions for the weekend:

Ireland v Wales the article
    Prediction: Honours shared - sort of. Ireland to win the game, but Wales to claim the Six Nations title.
    Planet Rugby prediction: Ireland by 4 points.
    sportingodds.com prediction: Wales by 5 points.

England v Scotland the article
    Prediction: England to batter down a weaker pack and run in a few tries
    planetrugby.com prediction: England to win by more than 10 points.
    SportingOdds.com prediction: England to win by 24 points

France v Italy the article
    Prediction: France to produce a vintage with eye-watering bouquet and nutty overtones
    planetrugby prediction: France by 45 points
    Sportingodds.com prediction: France by 26 points

Forgive me f i'm wrong but if ireland win by 4points and france win by 45 as predicted by Planetrugby, then France win the 6 nations...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

no - if ireland win by 4 points, and france by 45, i would assume Wales do, seeing as their points diff would still be higher even though we've eaten into it by 8 - though i'm only just up so i might be completely off the ball.

Advertisement