Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Spider Awards 2001

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

An awards ceremony that requires a fee to enter is not a true demonstration or representation of the talent and/or innovation in the trade and locality it is supposed to represent.

I was at the Internet Awards last year, at the invitation of the IEDR (I won't be getting one of them again, the Eircon t-shirt and copious quantities of alcohol didn't seem to sit well with the organisers for some odd reason), and it was the most shameful example of trade inbreeding it's ever been my misfortune to witness.

It was almost comical at one stage, as someone from Eircom found their way to the stage to present Indigo with an award. Moments later the roles were reversed and Indigo presented Eircom with one. It appears it was funny only to people on the outside looking in, but in reality I actually found it embarassing to be in the room. Hence the copious quantities of alcohol and the subsequent "outing" of the t-shirt.

I won't tar the Golden Spiders with the same brush as the Internet Awards completely though, since there haven't been any allegations of inproprietry that went wholly uninvestigated. At least not yet.

When there's an awards ceremony that is wholly paid for by sponsors, and those sponsors are not included in the nominees for awards, then I'll support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

better than the other awards... wink.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That I have to conceed. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The Spider Awards have far more credibility than that farce, the Web Ireland Internet Business Awards, which jmcc quite rightly slated on HackWatch.

I'll be pushing our company to enter as many of the sites we released in the past year as possible. There's some pretty good stuff there.

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

Advertisement