Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling in Buy And Sell

Options
  • 18-03-2005 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I want to sell my car in the buy and sell. What is the most safe method to receive payment apart from cash?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

bank draft. don't accept anything but this or cash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I would accept cash only, as people have been given dodgy bankdrafts before.
    If its a cash deal buy one of those special markers to check if the cash is real or not, but don't hand over the keys until you have checked ALL the notes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Gkelly2002 wrote:
    I would accept cash only, as people have been given dodgy bankdrafts before.
    If its a cash deal buy one of those special markers to check if the cash is real or not, but don't hand over the keys until you have checked ALL the notes

Where can you get one of them? I have never heard of that, would be very handy. What should happen when you use it on a genuine bank note?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could also get them to wire the money to your bank account.

A cheque may also be acceptible as long as you do not hand over the keys until your bank confirms it has cleared and the money is in your account. This usually takes about 3 to 5 days to clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

eoin_s wrote:
    Where can you get one of them? I have never heard of that, would be very handy. What should happen when you use it on a genuine bank note?

AFAIK, it won't make a mark on a genuine note, but will leave a big dirty black one on a fake one. :)

• Advertisement

meepmeep wrote:
    AFAIK, it won't make a mark on a genuine note, but will leave a big dirty black one on a fake one. :)

really? that's pretty cool - any ideas on where you can buy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

A cheque may also be acceptible as long as you do not hand over the keys until your bank confirms it has cleared and the money is in your account. This usually takes about 3 to 5 days to clear

.........it isn't as simple as that, it SHOULD be but it 'aint ! Even the Banks can tell one of their own drafts from a fake and they are entitled to remove the money from your account AFTER it has been recieved by another Bank if it turns out to be a fake !

Accept cash and ONLY cash ! You can buy the ultra violet torch key rings for a few quid in Easons !

Maybe a wire would be okay too, but I would also want to see the guys driving licence too and tell him in advance. Tell him you'll show him your licence too. If he's shifty or doesn't agree then walk away !

There are a lot of scams out there and dud notes, new scams every day so be careful !

MercMad wrote:
    .........it isn't as simple as that, it SHOULD be but it 'aint ! Even the Banks can tell one of their own drafts from a fake and they are entitled to remove the money from your account AFTER it has been recieved by another Bank if it turns out to be a fake !

Can you ring the branch the draft was issued from, and ask them to confirm that the draft is valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

eoin_s wrote:
    Can you ring the branch the draft was issued from, and ask them to confirm that the draft is valid?

yes thats what I did when i sold my car about 2 weeks ago. Rang portlaoise tsb, gave them the digits on the draft and they came back to me straight away and told me it was valid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

And whats to stop a thief from getting one genuine draft and copying it, then buying two cars on the same day ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

All trust in bank drafts has been destroyed now. Until the system is changed so that they dont clear in a customer account until they have been cleared by the issuing bank I will not accept them from untrostworthy sources.

A personal cheque is better because it only clears in your account when the funds have been transferred from the issuer's account.

MercMad wrote:
    And whats to stop a thief from getting one genuine draft and copying it, then buying two cars on the same day ??

That's a good point - cash all the way looks like the only way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Eoin, you can buy the pens in any stationary shop as far as i am aware. If no joy there just ask your local shop if they use one and if so where to get one.

They are very handy you don't want to get stuck with about 5 grand worth of duds

Gkelly2002 wrote:
    Eoin, you can buy the pens in any stationary shop as far as i am aware. If no joy there just ask your local shop if they use one and if so where to get one.

They are very handy you don't want to get stuck with about 5 grand worth of duds

Thanks for that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Every counterfeit euro note that I've seen was easily detectable as such: either they didn't have the correct foil hologram or they didn't have the white printed strip on the back or the watermark was off.

Are there really counterfeit notes out there that can fool someone who knows what to look for?

My point is: I trust my eyes more than I trust some pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭IrishTW

some people may block their number when calling you.

Dont buy/sell anything without at least having their name, address and phone number.

Also try to confirm that you have the correct number by calling them about something before the sale.

Don't fall for "Don't call me, I'll call you" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

I've seen counterfeit €50 notes at my local bank branch, where they themselves had been duped believe it or not ! couldn't tell the difference apart from some slight tattyness around the silver foil area, hologram, stitching etc was perfect !
    MercMad wrote:
    Maybe a wire would be okay too, but I would also want to see the guys driving licence too and tell him in advance. Tell him you'll show him your licence too. If he's shifty or doesn't agree then walk away !

Thats abit extreme though isnt it, wearing a wire :D

Advertisement