Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

road trip around europe...

• 18-03-2005 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

me and a couple of friens are thinking of heading off in a car this summer for about two months or so.

anyone done anything similiar before? how was the actual driving? (there are 2 of us who can drive so can take it in turns)

how much money are we talking? (planning to get a student loan)

and finally, where would be good places to hit if we decide to go through with it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've done it a few times - France, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, but only for a week or so here and there. Driving is a pleasure - to give you an example, flew into Dusseldorf in Summer of 2003, drove to Cologne and from the motorway to the city-center hotel, it took no more than 10 minutes.

This is in a huge German city that I had never been in before - the point being the roads were brilliant, the signposts even better and the drivers, very mannerly.

As for cost - Hertz car rental cost me 114 Euro for a Focus estate for Friday to Sunday last month. Not sure how much two months would be, though. Also remember, if you are under 25, some car rental companies will not allow you to rent, or will charge you a hefty premium.

For the Hertz, ignore the "special" deals they do with the airlines, such as Ryanair and Aer Lingus. Sign up for their No. 1 club instead - it would be that bit cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

well the renting wouldn't really be a problem as we were planning to take a friends car. unless theres some problem with that idea we aren't aware of (i don't know - insurance or something?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

unless theres some problem with that idea we aren't aware of (i don't know - insurance or something?)

I would imagine insurance would have to be upped to take into account you are travelling around Europe. Especially if you intend to go into Eastern Europe - I know the rental companies won't let you take their cars in full stop, so you should check insurance before you go.

As for things to see - well, it's Europe! It depends on what you want to see. The beauty of having the car is that you decide where you want to go/see. I remember travelling from Germany to Luxembourg, driving along we see a sign for the Hockenheim racing circuit (or was that Nurenburg, can't remember) - the Forumla 1 racing was on the following week - so there and then plans changed and off we went to see the race track. This is what makes these kind of holidays for me - no journey is set in stone, you can literally make it up as you go along.

One thing I forgot to mention, check out www.viamichelin.com - excellent drivng directions and maps for Europe.

Advertisement