Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is the make of this

Options
  • 18-03-2005 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

i want one of these! i cant find one for sale cos i dont know the model of it. does anybody know what its called apart from "hippie bus"

moe

01.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Ernesto

Well, The 'VW' logo on the front is a bit of a give-away. its made by Volkswagen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Its a vw transporter van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

big_moe wrote:
    cos i dont know the model of it.

model??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

It's simply called a "Volkswagen Bus". That was the name when it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

VW camper, split screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

VW Microbus

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Hmm...4 different model names so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

shaggin wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

"It's like..... a surfer's babemobile, dude !

;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

actually, the one with the little windows in the roof as well was called "Samba Bus".

WAS ...because it was made in the 50's and 60's. Nowadays rare as hens teeth (especially the "samba" version) in anything near roadworthy condition and a real classic.
    Not a real driving experience either, because the engine was straight from the beetle and the bus somewhat heavier.

From 2007 onward you're supposed to be able to buy this instead:

http://www.e-vw.net/?p=actualite&rub=&num_p=0&id=436

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote:
    actually, the one with the little windows in the roof as well was called "Samba Bus"

Correct! The official name is Volkswagen T1. This version is the "23 Window" Samba (in the states it was Deluxe instead of Samba)

Bus, Microbus, Bulli etc. are all nicknames

The T1 was designed in 1947 by dutchman Ben Pon, who was the main importer of VW into the Netherlands after the war

This Samba was produced from '56 to '63 with a 34bhp beetle engine

Here's a nice one:

0331.jpg

Edit: there is even a T2 club in Ireland (featuring T1s as well) here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

If you don't know you can't afford it!!!..... Well if you're not a hardcore VW camper fan you are unlikely to be willing to part with the 5 figure sum of cash that one of these will cost you ....unless you want one in restored pristine condition in which case you'll pay a lot more. The 70s type 2 ("Bay"-bay window as opposed to "Splittie"-splitscreen shown) is more affordable but still will cost you a good chunk of cash and time. I have owned a '76 type 2 and an '83 type 2.5 myself and they are great fun and a pig to drive at the same time. Advantages are cheap tax and insurance and saving a fortune on B&Bs disadvatages are its called a bus cos it steers like one and is not noted for high mpg, power, speed. Of course if you've money to burn there is versions out there that'll have all these problems sorted. If you can tolerate/ it's mechanical shortcomings it is guaranteed to enhance your life and return many happy memories and adventures and how many cars can you say that about!!! I say spend as much as you can on a really good type 2 and do a west coast surf tour for the summer and you'll realise the Hippies had it sussed all along!! :D Get on to the forum on the type 2 site Unkel mentions theres some guys on there importing from the states the UK and switzerland and they have a for sale thread too.... http://www.type2ireland.org/

Have a look at this one on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60987&item=4534750517&rd=1

Not much left of it, especially underneath, 21 hours still to go and already over 4 grand ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I seem to remember Jamie Oliver being on Top Gear last year or the year before with his VW bus - except he had a Porsche 911 engine fitted!

Hey Peasant any chance of a photo of your 85 turbo diesel one you mentioned on another thread. Sounds nice I used to own an 83 T2.5 with a bluebird then later vannette diesel in it and a great spacemaker roof. Is yours one of the nice german metalic paint ones?

shagman wrote:
    Hey Peasant any chance of a photo of your 85 turbo diesel one you mentioned on another thread. Sounds nice I used to own an 83 T2.5 with a bluebird then later vannette diesel in it and a great spacemaker roof. Is yours one of the nice german metalic paint ones?

Sorry, no photo, no webspace to post it on either.
    Nothing much to see anyway. No metallic paint, alloys or even double headlights. Used to be a panel van, now fitted with the camping gear (Reimo) and a dirty big white high roof. It's industrial grey with lots of grey primer specs from the annual rust battle :D
    Bought it in 97 for 3300 Euro (in Germany). Original engine with 220.000 km, replacement head,re-replaced head gasket, turbo and waterpump. Still going strong. Not bad really, considering it's only a 1.6 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote:
    no webspace to post it on either

Yes there is, right here on boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

They also go as the name VW Kombi although this one looks a tad bit different

our-kombi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Anyone remember the one they did up on Pimp my ride? Came out looking gorgeous after that.
    ep3_376x140.jpg
    Not a great picture but you get the idea.

Right then (and thanks to unkel for the hint)

Here it is ...warts and all ...you asked for it :D
    Camper.jpg

• Advertisement

OH! em .........the foglights are nice! :D
    They can look nice with a bit of work the Wedge will never be as sexy as the previous incarrnations but a hell of a lot better to drive.
    If you're lookin for a nice project to do on her heres a suggestion......
    http://www.kruizinwagon.com.au/view_articles.asp?pxa=ve&pxs=74&id=61

suby%20T3%201.jpg

I think I prefer Helga my campervan......
    she's a '79 chevy g30 with a 5.7L V8
    van1.jpg

When I'm finished with her she will look something like this.
    bigvanshot.jpg

Now, why do you think I got it so cheap in the first place? Because nobody would give this ugly duckling even a second glance inbetween all the factory fitted, shiny, metallic, spoilered and alloyed competitors.

I mean, everything is wrong with it. The colour is awful, the roof ist the wrong shape, no alloys, no hubcaps, no double headlights, no power steering and no power either ;)

It takes great courage, to buy, drive and be seen in such an eyesore :D . Up to date this courage has been rewarded by total reliability. I'm not going to jinx that now by tarting it up ... :D (do not lead us into temptation...)

Looks great inside, anyway :cool:

Advertisement