Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

If the hosting is linux then you can use a .htaccess file.

try http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess3.shtml

Theres a windows equilvalent too, but I'm not sure how that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 JimmyQ

What you are looking for is to create a .htaccess file in the folder which you wish to protect. This file has a number of parameters that needs to be filled see below.
    AuthUserFile /mnt/web/guide/somewhere/somepath/.htpasswd
    AuthGroupFile /dev/null
    AuthName "Somewhere.com's Secret Section"
    AuthType Basic

<Limit GET POST>
    require valid-user
    </Limit>

The first line is the absolute path to where the file with your username and password resides. As you can see that file is called .htpasswd

The .htpasswd files format would be something like this
    guest:79WeSn3vYGsKQ
    guest2:PR4APgA.4CKO.
    guest3:5DbCMPbSDstj2
    guest4:htPnr8jT4bI5E

notice the password is encrypted and this has to be done for it to work correctly. Follow this link for a page that will do all of the encryption for you: http://www.4webhelp.net/us/password.php

You can do all of the above from the command line if you have access to it. There a number of tutorials on line that will help you.

Please Note: The files are .htaccess and .htpasswd they do not have any text before or after their names. This confused me a bit when I started. Also your website needs to be hosted on a Apache server for the above to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Its not really a large site and its not on my own server or anything. If its someone elses server is it more than likely linux? I am running windows on this computer but linux is also installed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 JimmyQ

If its someone elses server is it more than likely linux?

Thats not true. I could be a Windows Server.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

JimmyQ wrote:
    Thats not true. I could be a Windows Server.

It COULD be a Windows server, but the vast majority of normal cheap virtual hosting setups are UNIXy (generally Linux or <something>BSD). In fact Windows servers are now rare generally; 20% of websites are hosted on one (http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

could someone set up a folder with this for me - I no nothing about any web coding. I can put in the passwords into the htpass myself though. That would be class....

Advertisement