Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I screwed?

• 18-03-2005 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭

OK, here's my situation.I was supposed to hand in my fourth and final philosophy essay on the 7th of March but I didn't.I have the essay written at this point but would it be too late to hand it in this Monday?I've checked the Philosophy handbook and it says they'll accept essay admissions up to ten working days.I think that means I've blown it!I have three questions:

1) Could I hand it in Monday?Is Paddy's Day classed as a working day?(I'm clutching at straws I know)

2)If I have missed the deadline is there any way at all I can hand in the essay?I've read that under no circumstances will essays be accepted after April 22nd,I think.Does that mean I can still hand it in?

3)I've read that by not handing in the essay I am "correlated with failure".Is this as bad as it sounds?I know the essays count as 20% of my overall mark.Am I screwed?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

(1) Paddy's day= bank holiday, not a working day
    (2) don't know
    (3) Not handing it in = failure, what's to lose by handing it in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

First thing's first, it's very very unlikely that you're screwed, or in any serious trouble. The best thing to do is to go to the department first thing monday morning and explain the situation. They may dock you marks(most likely they will, but just off the essay, not your end of year marks), but odds are the fact that you've shown the commitment to go in yourself and explain and to try to hand in the essay will stand to you. Unless they're a total bunch of pricks you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

No-one here knows how your philosophy lecturer will behave, you're best bet is to talk to them as soon as possible.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Hand it in, you get zero if you don't so what;s there to lose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Yep Ed has it pretty much bang on there. A lot of the Arts departments will dock you a few marks but they'll still take the essays up until the 22nd of April.
    To be honest a lot of my essays have been a few days late and theres never been any problem, even with the English department who can be right bastárds when they want to be. (for example, if your seminar essay is late you'll have until 430pm the following week to get it in and lose 10%....however if you hand it in after 430pm you'll lose 20%. a few people i know got up to the office at 4:40 and they told them they'd lost the extra 10%.....which is a bit shít!)

i'd say head to the department and see what the story is. generally the essays dont account for too much anyway.

i wouldnt worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thanks for the advice everybody.I'll hand the essay in on Monday and see what they say.I guess I've got nothing to lose at this stage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

Even if they don't grade it, that one essay is only worth 5%. Worth having if you can get it, but not worth losing sleep over if you don't.

Well I handed it in today.I cut it close, I had 10 minutes to spare, but they accepted it anyway.I just hope my tutor grades it although since I've probably lost 20 marks, I need 60 just to pass. :)

Well I got the infamous essay back today and I got a mark of 56 from my tutor which means with the 20 I lost I ended up with 36. Oh well. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

We could set up a boards/ucd study club!

allowing half an hours relaxation for every 2.5 hours in the library?

Nothing could stop us!
    We'd be a learning MACHINE!
    We'd be the coolest things on campus since the iron-stomach competition!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Well I got the infamous essay back today and I got a mark of 56 from my tutor which means with the 20 I lost I ended up with 36. Oh well. :rolleyes:

bummer, they normally take 20% off the mark you got - i.e you'd a lost 11% or so - giving you 45.

still better than nowt.

uberwolf wrote:
    bummer, they normally take 20% off the mark you got - i.e you'd a lost 11% or so - giving you 45.

still better than nowt.

Well, I'm not sure if they would've accepted it if I'd handed it in any later so I suppose I should be thankful that they at least graded it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

If anyone is doing First politics don`t worry the course can be broken down easily enough with all the MCQs i worked it out today and you could learn enough in the space of a few hours to get you a pass. But make sure you`ve handed up at least 5 essays to your tutor.

If anyone is doing First politics don`t worry the course can be broken down easily enough with all the MCQs i worked it out today and you could learn enough in the space of a few hours to get you a pass. But make sure you`ve handed up at least 5 essays to your tutor.

I'm doing first politics.Can you elaborate a little more about what you think should be studied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

MCQs? what MCQs? also ehh any advice for someone whos done 0 essays? :)

Advertisement